Painting the new Wyze Cam Outdoor

Hello,

I just spent the first hour of my morning searching for an answer to the question: “Will painting my new Wyze Cam Outdoor camera void the warranty?”. Would someone at Wyze be so kind as to answer this simple question?. BTW, I’d rather not use a skin, Plastidip, contact paper, etc., and I am aware of the whole “black body” physics of darker colors - this particular camera would never be exposed to direct sun.

Many Thanks,
DickyC3PO

2 Likes

Your question is probably best answered by support, WYZE does not really actively watch this whole forum, it is more a user to user community.

I would think no effect on warranty if not exposed to direct sun and the lens and PIR face are not painted over. After all it is essentially water proof and paint proof, at least for the amounts of paint needed to paint it. That’s my two cents.

2 Likes

My initial thoughts is no, it won’t violate warranty. It’s a $50 camera so what if it does?..

2 Likes

Instead of painting you might want to try contact paper. Less messy, removable, comes in all colors, including camouflage. Easily removable.
Available from Amazon, Walmart etc.
https://www.amazon.com/Printed-Outdoor-Stickers-probaly-attachment/dp/B01N6R7YV6/ref=sr_1_26?crid=9RCCV4RJ4WGX&dchild=1&keywords=camouflage+contact+paper&qid=1596775469&sprefix=camoflage+contact%2Caps%2C196&sr=8-26

3 Likes

victormaletic,

We are of the same school of thought. I agree wholeheartedly, but I’d much rather get it in print from Wyze. 50 bucks is 50 bucks; that will almost buy a bag of groceries. I already have it mounted on my front porch in a nook between the top of a large brick pillar & the ceiling (ceiling mounted) using the bottom standard camera screw mount. A few light coats of Krylon indoor/outdoor matte coffee bean will make it far less noticeable. Hopefully no low-life will spot it & rip it down before I get a reply from Wyze.

Thanks,
DickyC3PO

3 Likes

desertshores,

I am aware of that option, but can’t image it would be easier than a few light coats of paint, look cleaner, or last as long as Krylon indoor/outdoor paint. Besides, I already have the paint.

Thanks Anyway,
DickyC3PO

1 Like

RightlyWitnessed,

If it does, I’m out fifty bucks if the camera fails for whatever reason. That might be pocket lint to you, but to me it’s almost a bag of groceries. I’m retired and living on S.S. & my union pension(s).

Thanks Anyway,
DickyC3PO

2 Likes

What about a an enclosure made of 1/2" or 1" thick styrofoam with a circle cut out for the lens and PIR painted black. The foam enclosure could be snug or loose fitting. It could be shaped to look like a bird house or an insect trap and painted accordingly.

Actually it’s easy and clean. You just need a pair of scissors and a straight edge, and it’s easy to do do-overs.

1 Like

I would consider perhaps covering it with self-adhesive shelf paper of your choosing… Removing it is simple with a hair dryer should you need to send it in for repairs

I do not view $50 as pocket lint, especially for a gimmick camera that wants to be a security camera.

I’m positive that Wyze would take the approach of YES, for any modification of the camera, even daisy chaining it to another camera as it’s not clearly defined as able to be daisy chained.

You got a can of Krylon which is the route I’d go but if your worried about warranty, go with a vinyl decal.

Material can be bought locally from a decal vinyl printing place as a 36” wide “Default size” by 1’ long leaving you plenty for future use.

Last time I needed some vinyl, my local guy said I could have everything on the floor and in the trash can for free, and he gave me 4 rolls of a discountinued color he’s never going to use.

He writes it off as a loss.

So call around and try Free, it doesn’t hurt.

2 Likes

Hello,

Firstly, I’d like to apologize for coming off as confrontational - never should have made that pocket lent comment. I am sorry; that’s just not me. I was born without the patience gene, and was just frustrated. My late wife told me if not for sarcasm, I’d have nothing to say. She was right - been working on that, & likely will be till the day I die. I am so over it now. I messaged WyzeGwendolyn about it, and will just wait for an answer. Voided warranty or not, I’m determined to paint it - not a fan of contact paper or the like.
Again, I am sorry about the comment & appreciate your input.

Stay Safe,
DickyC3PO

4 Likes

I get it. I knew my first short answer wasn’t the best but it’s about how I see warranty’s anymore.

There’s no harm and no foul in your reply back and I did know where you’re coming from as I said it. I’m a speed limit age guy too.

I’m also a crafty guy at my age ( retired contractor ) who finds ways to make ends meet. By putting my decal guy on my contractor trailer he paid me back tenfold when I needed something trivial.

Painters Tape and some Krylon, that’s your best bet and I’d be surprised if you get a response from Wyze in your favor without them recommending an aftermarket enclosure coming soon…

Which is ( in my opinion ) something that Wyze should have cornered the market on. The Free Hat is novelty whereas the should control the 3rd party exterior housing enclosure.

Much Respect @DickyC3PO

1 Like

I use a sharpie marker to make mine black. But you could use any color you wanted works perfectly and holds up well outside. I have had a wyze cam pan outside colored black for over a year now and it looks just like it did the day I colored it.

8 Likes

JRTWEST,

You know, I might just go that route. After pondering how I was going to effectively mask off that tiny microphone hole, your suggestion sounds like a winner. Now if I can just find a matte coffee bean colored sharpie, I’m good to go. Dark brown would work. I know they come in a wide variety of colors now.

Many Thanks,
DickyC3PO

1 Like

Yeah I have been happy with it so far… it would work great not having to worry about the microphone. I always just used the black magnum sharpie just for the bigger marker tip. I’m sure you can find some kind of brown color that will be close.

2 Likes

That’s just one coat

8 Likes

Plastic coat or plastic dip work great and easy to revert back to white if desired

1 Like

Looks good.