Outdoor/Weatherproof Wyze Cam

Well the key feature is reliability and performance. With this as the foundation, you can build up all the other nice to have features.

In the market place you can see the real angst and frustrations people have once the rubber meets the road…

e.g.
Delayed Motion Camera Recordings- the suspicious person has already moved outside the camera’s viewpoint
Camera Recordings Failure - MicroSD card corrupted after a few months of use.
Battery Failure - Batteries unable to cope with the outdoor heat thus shortening battery life
Wifi Reliability - Wifi is great when it works. Sucks when say you live in an area where some fellas equipment operation results in interference and cloud recording get’s messed up.’

This are all real engineering challenges and it’s good that wyze has been designing, testing, iterating & hopefully they manage to strike a good balance. Time will tell.

1 Like

These two are somewhat dependent on whether the camera is constantly powered or not.

In a battery-powered camera, the motion is necessary to trigger the camera to turn on and start recording, which by default means that the very beginning of the motion won’t be captured. But they can certainly work to make that delay as short as possible.

MicroSD failure is similar. In an always-powered camera that’s constantly writing and rewriting, MicroSD failure is an eventual inevitability. This is an engineering challenge for manufacturer of the card, not for Wyze. High endurance cards are engineered to withstand consant rewrite cycles longer than standard ones. In a battery-powered camera that only records when motion is detected, I’d expect a MicroSD card to last much longer.

1 Like

I agree with that sentiment on Wyze. I may purchase a couple of indoor versions.

So whats the status on these outdoor cameras? Are they going to come out with em anytime soon, or should I just buy one of those hideous birdhouse cases on amazon? :')

I still have only heard that they are aiming for this year, so hopefully soon. I do have 3 cameras outside in those ‘hideous’ birdhouse cases from Amazon lol. I also have 1 just outside unprotected, so far they are all doing great.

Good morning. I was just wondering if at this time there is a more firm date of release of the outdoor camera? Thank you.

1 Like

There is not. They are working hard to get it done by the end of the year.

There are much better looking cases for the WyzeCam if you look hard enough. I hate those birdhouse ones also.

Don’t know what this has to do with Wyze, unless they sell it. But very interesting for me since I’m buying a condo in DR and shipping American good there is a hassle. So thanks

Are there any official company updates on this? I’ve been holding off buying more WYZE cams because I’ve been waiting for the outdoor cam. But if there’s no longer an intention to release an outdoor version, then I might as well buy the indoor cams plus aftermarket housings.

I also don’t need batteries or solar… just a weatherproof version of the current model would be great.

Hello @jpnelson35 and welcome to the community.

I am not an employee of WYZE but last official statement was that it is in testing and is close. They are still aiming for a 2019 release.

4 Likes

You could by a weather proof case. The outdoor cam will be different than the current one (battery powered, PIR sensor, central hub, etc)

There will be an option for plugging it in as far as I have heard.

Then the battery will just be a backup

The way I have read it can run off just battery or you can plug it in and use the battery as a backup

It is progressing well through beta testing and is still fully an intention. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yes that is what I heave heard

What does Beta mean?

I’ve been waiting too. I was hoping that I could buy a couple of the new outdoor Wyze Cams for myself for Christmas presents :slight_smile:

1 Like