Outdoor/Weatherproof Wyze Cam

I have an existing home security setup that uses outdoor POE cameras. I find POE to be very convenient - no batteries, no wireless range issues, and no power adapters. Just run a single small wire back to a POE Switch.

20 Likes

Would love to see more powerful IR LEDs on the outdoor version. Don’t really care about visible or invisible IR - the way I see it, visible IR is a deterrent already.

Perhaps something in a metal housing? Backup battery would be great! Just enough for 5-8 hours.

Regarding motion activation - would prefer to have it always on and only save to server with motion detection

10 Likes

This is so great to hear! I have 4 Wyzecams outside and the main problem I have compared to my previous Ring camera setup is that I think Ring utilized PIR (at least at night) so I didn’t have an issue with those on foggy nights or with insects flying around.

I was about to ask for a USB PIR accessory I could plug in, but an outdoor/weatherproof wyzecam would be even better. Will your implementation of PIR still allow setting up motion detection in a specific area?

Hope this comes out soon!

I bought these covers for the Wyze cam pan: Amazon.com

And they make these for the stationary Wyze cam: Amazon.com

Both are said to work great. We’ll see…I’m just installing it now.

2 Likes

Absolutely interested in an outdoor, wireless camera so that it can be hassle free and mount almost anywhere within range of my home WiFi. As mentioned already, using a lithium ion rechargeable battery of some kind will likely be the easiest way to manage. Low power mode (standby) when not actively being watched or during recording would help battery life. Photo Mode (like a wild game motion camera) also would be useful. I would also suggest external battery charging adapter or station so spares could be ready along with app notification of battery life and alerts. Keep being innovative WYZE, I believe you’ll come up with something cool. Thanks for the great service and products!

6 Likes

Here’s another thread on this topic that you all may want to take a look at for more thoughts…

Don’t care for battery power, one more device that I have to keep batteries charged. That and with battery power you can’t have continuous recording to an micro SD card like you currently can do the Wyze cams. Running a simple USB isn’t a problem for most people.

6 Likes

Will the future outdoor cam use the same microSD card? Answering this Q will help current users plan out their microSD card purchases.
Thx.

It’s too soon in the development process to know that, but I’d be very surprised if it didn’t. Assuming it accommodates a card, there just aren’t that many options other than microSD.

Glad to see the outdoor version is being worked on. I put more Wyze Cams on hold because I couldn’t get reliable/concealed power to both locations.
If the outdoor version is rechargeable/powered via USB I could easily run USB power or a battery pack out there a few times a week to charge it. That would also allow people to run them continuously if they have power available.

1 Like

Hi Gwendolyn , - Thanks for the update - im sure it will be as great as the Wyzecam . Suggestion to have a couple sources of power ( battery and cord or solar ) reason being is , if the camera is placed out of reach changing batteries will be a chore. Just a thought
regard

1 Like

+1 on the outdoor camera, or outdoor enclosure for existing cameras. I would personally be less interested in a battery and more interested in the current USB power or PoE power. Or, if you wanted to really break new ground, how about a suction mount for the outside of the window that magnetically connects to a wireless charger you mount on the inside of window. For me, all about being able to have the camera outside and running 24/7/365.

12 Likes

Great to hear this is in the works. Some great suggestions on this post, What about a power line option to get the camera to out buildings not WiFi capable? Re chargeable would be a great option as well. What are the target operating ranges of the outdoor camera?

So in the meantime I remember when I purchase my first Wyze Cam there was a discussion on how to weather proof your Wyze Cam outdoors. Is there a link on that discussion? I just purchase 2 more Wyze Cams (black) and I would like to place one outside under the roof of the front door. Thank you in advance. Looking forward to the sharp looking black cams.

I currently use 4 older Lorex cameras for outside viewing and will be replacing soon. They are wireless, though are plugged in for electricity, though not via USB. Before we discovered WYSE cams, we bought two new Lorex cams (one for outside/one inside) and they too use microSD for recording.
The lag-time from live viewing is about twice as long than either WYSE cams that we have. I hope this does not change in the outdoor version.
One thing of note is the recording differences between the Lorex and WYSE cams. For example, with WYSE, when a car drives by and comes in view, the side of the car is the beginning of the recording. With Lorex, the recording begins before a car comes in view by a number of seconds. How does Lorex do that? This is something I would like to see in the current cams and future outdoor WYSE cams.
Hope this helps.

2 Likes

I would like to add to keep the cost affordable. Possibly a battery pack option vs. a hardwired batter. That way a camera could be purchased without the battery for a lesser cost for those of us that would be ok running a usb, or other power wire. Those that want the cord free option, could by a battery pack…this would also keep the cost of the camera down, as you would not need to integrate charging into the unit, a separate charger could come with the battery pack.

1 Like

Hi all,
Thanks Wyze team for those amazing cameras. I just purchased them and immediately love them compared to others brands I have.
One thing that would love to see is the outdoor version, specially one that can sustain , high temperature, heavy rain and wind with about 10m IR reach. ( I live in Florida and it’s much needed with those features) . I have also seen cameras that turn on a LED light when sense motion, very nice feature I as able to discuss with a cctv company owner in China. Feel free to reach out if want more details.

1 Like

Personally I would prefer the design team was working on the enclosure route i.e. enclosures that will work using the existing camera’s and keep the elements at bay (UV, dust, water and high temp/low temp). As far as I am aware no one yet produces a standalone camera that gives all-weather protection particularly the high/low temp. They advertise it but they don’t produce it; at best they provide dust/waterproofing just like some cellphones. Even then only at great cost. To me its a holy grail not worth pursuing. With a separate enclosure you could add modules to give enhanced cooling for high temps and enhanced heating for low temps. or enhanced seals for dust storms or water drenching and space to put in a battery (which also is a device that does not do well at high or low temps). Example: For SEA and ANC enhance heating and water seals. For DFW enhanced dust seals and cooling. Keep with your philosophy - great camera at great price. Modulize. Great modules at great prices.

our design will support both battery mode and plugin mode

27 Likes

An outdoor enclosure for the v2 would be good. Perhaps the many third party enclosures already take care of that option.

I am not particularly interested in battery power. For me that spells fiddling with recharging and reliability problems when I need the camera most.

Keep it simple with USB and/or POE.