Outdoor/Weatherproof Wyze Cam

Amazing how people want to rush products from the centre of a deadly virus outbreak into their homes. Consumerism at it’s finest.

Yes it’s very unlikely it could survive the slow boat from China given current estimates of it’s survival time on surfaces of between a few hours to a few days (I believe the boat journey for freight takes 2 weeks or more). However, what if some surfaces could host the virus eg cardboard packing is an organic product (wood). ATM it’s surface survival time is an unknown and calling me paranoid might be accurate, but the last thing I’d want to be bringing into my home is something someone in China has coughed over and handled. Better paranoid then the alternative, however, seemingly ridiculous or remote. Although it’s unlikely I’ll be buying a Wyze camera due to the specs, if I was, they can take all the time in the world atm.

1 Like

Watch “The Simpsons” season 4, episode 21. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t know if this suggestion comes too late, or maybe it has already been suggested/added… but, it would be pretty awesome if the outdoor cam had a thermometer feature and you could see the outdoor temp in the live view!

6 Likes

I like that suggestion LPinLP.

2 Likes

I’m sure if Wyze has not already done this it is to late to add this. This would be a cool feature! Maybe you could put it in the Wyze Cam V3 form. Ideas for Wyze Cam V3

1 Like

There’s a temp related topics in #wishlist already:

Please hop over there and comment on wanting this for the outdoor camera.

4 Likes

May be added to the bridge module so it can work more widely.

3 Likes

Are they planning on any sort of solar power adapter for the outdoor cam? I’d like to put them all over my yard, but wiring it would be cumbersome, and I’m not a fan of any of the battery powered cameras out there, so some sort of solar powered option would be great.

1 Like

I haven’t seen any plans from Wyze for solar power but they are just 5 volt USB cameras. Fairly easy to use an aftermarket solar power supply.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply, I’m just weird about mixing brands. Besides, isn’t new ideas what this forum is about?

2 Likes

Think of it this way, Wyze doesn’t build hardware so even if every piece has a Wyze logo on it chances are they are different brands.

1 Like

We don’t have solar power options at this point but I know it’s something that has been discussed. I’d recommend voting for solar power in another Wishlist topic. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If Wyze doesn’t get a solar option right away or at all, there are 5v USB solar panels, some even with built in batteries available for some other cameras. Any that provided 5v usb should work fine since usb is usb

It’s been 2 and a half month into 2020 already. It’s taking so damn long.

4 Likes

I just got and set up my wyze cam 2 with sense kit yesterday. I’m pretty impressed so far.

IMO the approach of development started, is something other than what I would have what I would have started from.

What I mean is, the goal should have been developing a smart doorbell; then from there, develop an outdoor camera, as they will be in in relatively similar environments.
The constraints of going from doorbell to outdoor camera would be a lot easier.

With that the other doorbells on the market are atrocious looking. They usually look like the wall has a wort. Plus with most of those, for whatever reason, are designed to work outside of their relative software environments (I’m looking at you arlo :stuck_out_tongue: )

My opinions aside, I plan on vacuum forming some lexan domes and getting another wyzecam and mounting it that way, right next to a soffit to help control heat/cold and humidity.

If allowed, maybe willing to take apart one, and 3d print a weatherproof case of my own design with some external (inside the case, but not part of the wyzecam circuitry) sensors. like temp and humidity.
External sensors would be mainly to see what the how much heat the wyzecam board puts off and to see if there would be any sort of humidity issue (too much humidity would cause the copper traces to corrode, too little would cause the fiberglass circuit board to become brittle over time. I believe 25%~35% is ideal in my experience).
Once I have and ideal of the baseline heat, then I can modify my design to add internal volume for heat mitigation. Some sort of heatsink, or heat pipe would not work for me, as my region normally see -5F in winter, and around 90F in the summer.

Depending on how the wyzecam wifi is physically implemented, possibly add an external wifi antenna (I doubt it though, since it’s a $20~$25 camera), but that would involve more monitoring of the wifi’s db output, how much noise it can tolerate, yada, yada, yada.

I’m willing to share my findings with the Wyze team directly, along with my designs, once I have something going, but I’m pretty sure they already have most of these since it’s been in development for 2 years now.

1 Like

To add, maybe I should start by taking apart a wyzecam seeing if I can make a doorbell from that and a door sensor, first.

3 Likes

Wyze wants to make sure that it is perfect

1 Like

… and then make a Youtube and post the code on Github. :slight_smile: Would be very popular I’m sure.

1 Like

If you made a waterproof housing

If you could make a waterproof case. At 3-D print it and sell it I can guarantee you would sell a ton and I don’t really see how they could stop you from doing it.

Edit:

People do all kinds of modifications to cars and trucks etc. They add body kits. They paint them with bedliner so that they’re weatherproof so they can take them out in the fields and go camping and all kinds of stuff so I really don’t see what would be the difference.

1 Like