Outdoor Cam V3 Case and Hood

I procured a set of these PEF Outdoor Cases for my Wyze Cam Outdoors and decided to try to get them to work with my new V3’s. Getting the V3 to fit was very easy (from a modification standpoint). I simply added a small 1/4" pad of cardboard on the back wall of the housing and a small wooden base to place under the v3 in the housing to center it into the front hole. Fits perfect and these housings are really nice,. They have a bump-out in the back for the micro usb power connector.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LV796HS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Next, I had my son make a small hood extension for the PEF housing on his 3D printer. With some 3M outdoor double sided tape, I was able to increase the hood well over 1" and could have went further if I wanted.

If anyone needs any additional information on my mods or wants the 3d printer file, let me know.

1 Like

Isn’t the V3 weather resistant and can be used outdoor? So why do we need an Outdoor case and hood? Just curious.

3 Likes

The outdoor case provides a signifigant amount of additional flexibility in mounting the camera than the stock mount (along with providing an additional layer of protection).

Depending on the mounting location/position, I’ve found that the small hood on the Outdoor Cam can be insufficient for keeping rain off the lens and the sun out of the cameras lens, The elongated hood provides additional coverage and keeps the lens clean and protected from the sun. Works great!

1 Like

For reasonably well-protected locations like my front porch with a wide overhang, here is a solution that provides the camera support platform and a well-fitted camera cover, all designed by me and 3D printed in black CCF-filled nylon. The pedestal has a custom-sized ‘ratchet’ protrusion that had to be lightly hammered into the mortar joint.

As you can see the camera becomes much less obtrusive and almost invisible from a distance:

I’ll be happy to share both STL files with those who would like to print these parts themselves.

1 Like

Noticed you have a brick wall. Did you drill through the wall to run the cable through? If so, any tips and tricks? Looking to do the same in the front of my garage.

No, I wanted to avoid drilling and any serious electrical work. I just painted the short, white USB camera cable brown-black, connected it to a 15ft-long black USB cable from Amazon (https://tinyl.io/3uaJ) and hid it inside the horizontal-running mortar joints, then fixed it with a brown acrylic-silicone caulk. I was lucky to have a weatherproof outlet to hide the power supply in it.

In your case, I’d just drill through the wall, pass the USB cable and caulk the hole well to prevent moisture and bugs from getting through.