Outdoor CAM PIR sensor

I just mounted my outdoor cam to look over my front door and driveway. Near my front door I fly Old Glory around the clock, where it is properly lit up at night.

To my complete dismay the camera keeps getting triggered from the motion of my flag. What gives? I thought this camera wouldn’t detect my flag constantly waving in the wind as the heat signature is not changing.

I’m at a loss at this point as there is no place I can mount this camera (to view my front door and driveway) without my flag being in its field of view and within the detection zone. Don’t make me choose between this camera and Old Glory, as the camera isn’t going to win that battle.

1 Like

The camera is probably picking up the change in temperature of the flag and whatever surface is behind your flag when it moves. Small changes should not trigger the camera but I suspect a flag in the wind is too great of a change from the camera’s viewpoint.

My vehicle is parked in the driveway about 3’ from the bottom portion of the flag. So I suppose you’re right. The flag blocks the vehicle then the wind kicks up and the vehicle can be seen again. I wonder if I mount the camera on the other side of the driveway such that my flag is behind the vehicle if that would do the trick?

It’s worth a shot, but I’m not sure if these screws are going to hold up to remounting it. I may have to buy some replacements…

I’ll follow up here once I know if this did the trick.

I have a feeling even without the vehicle you will still have the same issues but it’s worth a shot. If you move the camera it will probably still see the heat difference between the flag and the driveway/side of house when the flag moves.

Hmm, great point. I think I’ll just move my vehicle out of the field of view and see what happens. If it still detects motion there is no point in mounting the camera elsewhere.

Thanks for the replies and I’ll follow up once I know more.

2 Likes

I have the same issue with my Blink XT2 camera which is mounted by my flag. It also uses PIR but was getting set off non stop so I ended up having to move my camera so its just outside the area the flag is. I was also surprised because when I mounted it, I figured it wouldn’t have any effect due to the heat sensing but unfortunately I was wrong.

Glad to know I’m not the only one bumping into this. I should have done some homework before I assumed it wouldn’t be set off by my flag.

Unfortunately there are no mounting points where I can view my front door and driveway without the flag being in the frame. Even after moving my vehicle out of the field of view the flag is still generating notifications like mad. Oh well, it was worth a shot and will make a nice gift for a family member that lives elsewhere.

2 Likes

I was able to locate a spot to mount the Outdoor camera that seems to be working much better. There may be hope for my scenario yet. Unfortunately the location is at about shoulder level. Now I fear someone walking up and stealing it.

I’ll have to see how it goes, but so far I haven’t had a single notification and Old Glory is in frame waving back and forth proudly

1 Like

Have you tried playing around with the “Sensitivity” or “Distance” in the settings?

Yes I have been playing with these settings throughout the day. Thanks for checking though. :slight_smile:

Seeing as how the car has been tagged as suspect, try parking it out of the cameras view and see if the situation goes away… Then you will know

He tried that.

Found a post about someone making a filter for the motion sensor out of the plastic from a milk jug? I hope this will be of assistance.

Which camera is he using? I assume WCO

The title of the thread is: Outdoor CAM PIR sensor

Yur gettin’ lazy Monkey. :slightly_smiling_face:

Long time gettin here too :wink: :wink:

1 Like

Hmm, that sounds a bit ghetto. I’m still tinkering with things, but I’m past the flag constantly sending notifications. It’s going to come down to finding the correct mounting location and ensuring the flag is not in the detection zone.

I need to go buy new screws to try another spot tomorrow. As mentioned in my last post the current location is far to easy for someone to just walk up and steal it.

I chewed up 15% of my battery today, so I brought the camera inside and put it on the charger.

1 Like

Sounds like you have a plan, glad to hear. I hope you find a spot that works for you.

I used the mask over the motion sensor, no a camera. My thought was to place milk-jug-plastic over the PIR portion of the outdoor camera and see if it filters out unwanted infrared triggers.
Victor Maletic.

Keep us posted… Please