Outdoor Cam - I'm a bit underwhelmed

Does the extender have an ethernet port?

or

The wifi extender has a port (but you made me get up out of my chair to look).

2 Likes

You have options.
You can use up to 150’ of Ethernet cable without problems.
You can also use a Wifi extender with a built in Ethernet port or an AC Power extender.

If you turn off night vision you will get 20fps, but you will need night vision on even with an external ir illuminator, you will just shut off the internal ir lights but still have it in night mode to pick up the ir illumination

1 Like

thank you.
so their base station plugs into the extender rather than the main router.
if i have that correct no need to waste key stokes letting me know i got it right and how tech bad i am.
a.

Yes, a Wifi extender turns a wired device into a Wifi device.

Read “battery” and it was a non-starter for me from the outset.

The problem I ran into with doing it from the window pane is general glare and that IR doesn’t work. At least where I have lived, night vision was important to have.

To overcome the glare issue use an IR Illuminator mounted outside and turn the cameras IR lights off. Also mount the camera as flush as possible to the window. This has worked very well for me.

3 Likes

Everything @rbruceporter said.

Plus, if you don’t mind altering your cam, you can also take a giant Sharpie Pro and blackout the front of the cam - this will noticeably reduce the white “ghost ring” that often appears when shooting through two panes of glass. This may increase heat absorption in a sunny window, so it’s a tactic with trade-offs.

2 Likes

not sure what you were expecting for $50. I haven’t gotten mine yet but if it works, connects to Wi-Fi and gives me the ability to monitor my garden I’ll be satisfied. Sounds like you want something for more sophisticated in the security camera realm for $50 and not sure why you thought you might get that.

1 Like

Well I feel stupid! I guess I’ll need to cancel my order. I didn’t know the Wyze bridge needed to connect to a LAN cable. I have extenders all over, However, where I plan to put the bridge, there is no Wi-Fi extender so therefore there won’t be a cable available. Not sure I need to spend another $15-$25 for another Wi-Fi extender just so I can have a bridge for the Wyze cam. I too am very disappointed however given the cost of the product and my experiences, I thought I’d drop a few bucks on it. But the more I read, the more disappointed I get. After three years of development this is what they came up with? Extremely disappointing. They should’ve least had the option of a USB cable for charging. Also, better resolution and there’s other said all the other bells and whistles. I’m sure like myself, a lot of folks would’ve spent another $10 to get all these bells and whistle’s. In addition to the IR lights, they should also have included LED floodlights that you can have turned on as an option if you want to. This is especially important with an outside camera.
Not sure whether Wyze will respond to any or all of these complaints/suggestions.I guess after losing numerous orders they may have no choice but to respond and improve the product greatly. I’m going to go ahead and cancel my order tomorrow. After waiting this long, I will wait for Wyze to produce a better version.

2 Likes

I must agree here, this is a $50.00 camera, not a $200.00 security camera. For $50.00 I will be happy if it works as described.

Yea, I was just hoping they just made V2 outdoor compatible and that’s it. Maybe 256gb memory.
I don’t care for a battery, who wants to go way up there to change the battery. I currently have 3
V2 outside under the eaves and they have been working fine. The speaker sucks when trying to talk to someone but then its that way with the indoor cameras. If i need more light at night I just flood the area with a separate IR light, no big deal. Really disappointed.

1 Like

The camera being $50 is not the issue; We were given the impression that this would be a V2 camera made specifically for placement outside with the capability of it being wired.

This camera looks like there will be a few downgrades as well, continuous recording being a major one. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Yeah, I ordered one on release day, but cancelled the order the next day once I got all the details. The way I see the WCO is you gain a motion sensor and a battery, but loose a bunch of vital functions. No continuous recording is a deal breaker, no continuous streaming to a wall mounted tablet like I do now with an outdoor V2 because it would eat the battery, no powered operation, at least not without voiding warranty, need for Ethernet to connect the base, etc. honestly, a more weather tight V2 with a PIR motion sensor for less false triggers would have been very good. Add the battery along with the ability to keep it plugged into a charger 24/7 and I could use one of the available 5v solar panels so it the battery would basically never run out and it would have been a great camera.

2 Likes

That’s a good point.

Thanks, now I’m even more disappointed with it :grinning:

Some people gotta pick at things. But hopefully all are honest.

I received mine fairly quickly. And I was a late orderer. Then I was able to catch some great videos at night for the fires here. And the camera has been a wonderful addition to the house. But it is not a security camera. This as of now is simply a cool addition to any smart home for enthusiasts.

I see them packaged at HomeDepot too. Look great and tons of folks buying them too. Then there’s the cameras. Can’t find them in person because everyone is nabbing them. But it turns out that so far it’s going pretty well. Wish I set it up a day before. Because I missed those amazing thunderstorms that kicked off the fires.

I don’t understand the issues I have two of them and they do there job without having 700 notifications at first I was kinda sad because I wanted it to be a v2 but with a battery 24/7 recording but after some time I realized they were for different scenarios like my front door I live in an apartment so no power