On/Off Toggles/Schedule for Wyze Sense sensors

I am annoyed when people say that you can use shortcuts to turn off notifications, as if that is a solution to what we are requesting. It undermines our intelligence to assume we haven’t investigated the simplicity of the Wyze App and are a bunch of Noobs who don’t understand technology. What we are asking for is VERY clear: the ability to schedule when the sensors are in use. This is a feature that should have come out a long time ago since it allows users to integrate the sensors into their existing smart-home setup for a very low cost. That’s the whole mission of Wyze, to make smart-home technology affordable and therefore accessible to everyone. Luckily, I know a good product when I see one, and I know I invested wisely in Wyze. I just have to be patient for the one feature that would make my setup complete.

4 Likes

You are absolutely right. I am very sorry to be totally honest I didn’t fully comprehend what you were asking until later. Terribly sorry, hopefully what you are looking for will be provided functionality sooner rather than later.

3 Likes

Hey @henryn2! We can’t actually turn sensors on/off, but you can always schedule notifications on/off. Does that satisfy your need? And we are working on the ability to add time conditions for shortcuts so your motion sensor could only turn the lights off at night… or something like that.

1 Like

We are working on adding time conditions to the Shortcut so your motion sensor could only run during a specific time. Again–we won’t actually stop the sensor from working, but the shortcut simply won’t run.

6 Likes

Would this work if you are using IFTTT? Lets say i have the Wyze motion sensor setup to turn on a non Wyze device through IFTTT, and I only want it to function during specific time frames… simply turning off the notifications does not accomplish this since the motion trigger is still sent through the service. We need a way to disable (since they can’t be turned off) the motion detection completely…not just notifications.

Thanks for your help

1 Like

Hi there,

I would like Wyze Sense to have schedule either on rules or on the sensor itself, here is my justification:

I would like to control a Wyze Bulb that is on a Hall at late night starting at 11pm I would like to enable a rule for turning on with motion and turning it off with motion clear after 5min and disable that rule at 6am.

Right now I manage it having a schedule for the Wyze Bulb to power from 5pm to 6am at 1% Brightness, when the Wyze Sense motion triggers, it spins up the Brightness to 100% then after motion clears out 5 minutes returns Brightness to 1%. Would be fantastic that rules have a schedule or the Wyze Sense it self.

PD: From my perspective its not good for a hall to have 1% of brightness all the needed time, It looks silly :sweat_smile:

You might want to take a look at this #roadmap topic, which is tagged as “in development”: Allow schedule AND event to control shortcut / rule triggers

2 Likes

If we have integration mods we need sometimes to ON/OFF motion sensors like cameras…

Good question! We’re focusing on the app first, but will expand to IFTTT shortly thereafter.

5 Likes

Thanks for the response @mike.s keep up the great work!! :grinning::+1:

Wyze you need to make schedules and on/off switches for Wyze Sense!

Update: I bit the bullet and ordered a Hue Motion Sensor for my setup ($$$).The Hue Motion Sensor is way over priced just to have a light come on when I enter my bedroom room and off when I leave, but it allows me to snooze the sensor after bed time. I was hopeful the $5 Wyze Motion Sensor would have been updated to allow this feature, but this topic was moved to “Probably Not”.

Unfortunately, the Wyze Motion Sensor was limited since I was unable to have the Camera on and the Motion Sensors off during the night. I’ve been woken up too many times in the middle of the night because the Wyze sensor is still running at night and I’d forget to put a teacup over it. The Wyze sensor now changes a light in my living room to a dim yellow whenever my dog enters his potty area; and I can assure you, had I known that’s where it was going to end up, I wouldn’t have purchased the extra motion sensor.

Thanks Wyze, but I’ve moved you to the “Probably Not” list of future purchases; Touche.

Lol! But you have been misinformed I think. I don’t know what feature is probably not but I turn my hallway motion sensor off all night with no issue (or teacup) required.

But I am sure you will be happy with the Hue sensor so it’s not a loss of anything other than money.

I totally agree. This is what we want. A way to ignore / enable the motion detection by the motion sensor.
Someone from wyze told me that there is no way to physically disable the motion sensor, but they can simply ignore any motion detection.
Why don’t they do this

1 Like

Hey Bruce, I’m sorry can you explain to everyone here how do you turn off the motion sensor (sense). I think you don’t know your own products.
I’m looking for a way do this for a long time without success .
This is what we want. But there is no solution. I have many unanswered questions in this forum about this topic.
Why DO YOU say it’s possible?

You can’t actually turn the sensor itself off but you can turn the notifications off. If you truly need to turn the sensor off you are out of luck. Now that said I run most of my automations that are motion sensor driven on a schedule. For instance I have a motion sensor in the spare room that is tied to a camera to upload a video. I have it scheduled where that automation only happens from 10 pm to 6 am. During the day I turn that automation off.

Also I have a set of contact sensors I only care about at night. So I turn the camera the bridge is connected to off via automation and turn it back on when I want both the camera and the sensors to work. The cameras and sensors are cheap enough I have multiple bridges and cameras that I can turn on or off if needed. Turning the bridge the sensors are connected to is equivalent to turning the sensor off.

Hope this helps.

I’m sorry but turning off the camera and the attached bridge does not make any sense because I will not be able to get the status from the attached contact door sensors. I did not ask to disable the sense motion sensor, I asked for the possibility to IGNORE the activity of the sense sensors through a Toggle switch so that I don’t end up with hundreds of events per day when we are at home. A schedule based activation / deactivation in this situation is useless, because I do not leave home based on a daily schedule. Yes a home / away option would be helpful but for this there is a request already in the wishlist with no success to be implemented.
How come the wyzecam has the option to enable / disable the motion detection, but the sense sensor does not…

Hey whatever works for you is fine with me. My solutions work for me. I don’t think any solution, yours, mine, or brother Bubba’s will work for everybody. But it’s always worth seeing or learning how someone else resolved something. Who knows it may trigger an idea for yet another way!

:wink:

1 Like

I need this option/capability. To be able to ignore events from the motion sensor.

I have a contact sensor and motion sensor to trigger washroom lights.
If it senses motion it turns on the light and once motion clears it turns off the lights. But if the door is closed then I want to be able to ignore the motion clears event (mostly likely someone is in the washroom if the door is closed).
When the door contact sensor is closed, it triggers the motion sensor events to be ignored, once the door opens the motion sensor events should be un-ignored.

I have a similar concern to others regarding IFTTT and the Wyze motion sensor. I would need the motion sensor to only trigger IFTTT actions during a specified time period. Not just disabling notifications.

Why not add a enable/disable IFTTT in the “Device Actions” menu of the Wyze app? It shouldn’t be too hard to implement and would be extremely useful. For example, I currently use a motion sensor to trigger my LIFX lights. I could set a schedule in the Wyze app that says “at 10 am, activate IFTTT integration for device X. At 10 pm deactivate IFTTT integration for device X.” That way, I don’t have to put my motion sensor in a drawer when I go to bed or keep toggling off the IFTTT appler every day. If you do that, other users can also add shortcuts to toggle the IFTTT operation, use the motion detection feature of the Wyze cams, or anything else we can think of to meet our needs.