New Wyze Sense as a Standalone Hub and Sensor System

Don’t see any listing for this so adding it to the wishlist, I would like to see the new Wyze Sense sensor system act as a stand alone system where you don’t need the home monitoring service, since you no longer sell the old system with the bridge it would only be logical to make the new system work as a stand alone if that’s what the user wants, If they want the home monitoring that’s fine they can still use it, but I don’t see the need for it when the old system that just sent notifications to my phone when something was triggered, Used a contact switch on my mailbox so I knew when the mailman came, a contact switch on the garage door so I knew if I left it open or it was opened both of these I don’t need the use of a service to use.

[Mod Edit]: Title Modified to Enhance Search Clarity.

I’m currently using the new sense hardware just that way. Had to pay for one month of HMS to buy it, though.

2 Likes

Existing topic here: Wyze Home Monitoring: Self Monitored Mode ASAP

1 Like

Are you saying that it works as a standalone after paying for the one month of HMS? I was told it needs HMS to function at all. this is the support person when I asked that very question.
(10:22:52 PM) David: just a quick question do I need the home monitoring service for the new Wyze Sense to work? or will it work like the old system through my phone?
(10:23:14 PM) David: without the service?
(10:25:50 PM) Donna: As per checking, it requires Wyze Home Monitoring. This device will not function as an individual or standalone product.

1 Like

I don’t see why not. You can add the bridge and sensors to your system without HMS by using add a device. I did that before trying to activate HMS and the devices appeared in my account and were functional. Anyway, I’ll know soon enough. I cancelled my service effective 6/6/2021. HMS just won’t work for me as it is currently implemented. Besides, in the sales literature it clearly said monthly users could cancel at anytime and keep the hardware since they paid for it.

I’m not sure I’m understanding what you’re asking for. There’s a Wishlist item that @holocron linked for a self-monitoring home monitoring system that doesn’t connect to a monitoring service or require a subscription, but the hub will still alarm and send notifications. Also:

This is incorrect. Do you have a ticket number for this discussion?

My understanding of the question from @wabbit9298 was a need to use the new sensors for notifications, as with the V1 sensors. That is why I answered as I did. You can use the hub and sensors just like the V1s for motion and doors and the like, without a subscription to HMS. There are no alarms from the hub, but I didn’t think that was mentioned as a need.

1 Like

I’ve gotten quite a bit of incorrect information from support regarding issues with HMS, the hub and sensors. They really have no idea as to how it works.

3 Likes

Ticket number is Wyze Ticket 1263532

2 Likes

What I have been reading is that some individuals have setup their HMS to get the V2 Hub and sensors. They either Cancel the subscription or Leave HMS in test mode. In either case, you will have full use of the Wyze Sense Hub and associated sensors with Rules, Alexa, etc. I don’t necessarily condone this, I paid for a Yearly subscription, we will see after a year if I decide to continue with it or not.

HMS requires the V2 Hub and Sensors to function as the V1 Sensors are not an option to select within HMS.

In summary, HMS requires the V2 Sensor setup, but the V2 Sensor Setup does not require HMS. - My understanding and experience when testing. Others in the community had run the new sensors before activating the HMS part.

I’m sorry, what is there to condone? The push from Wyze was annual or monthly…your choice. Try HMS. If you don’t like it, cancel at anytime. With the annual contract, return the hardware for a refund. With the monthly, cancel and keep the hardware. I’ve tried to like HMS but it currently has too many flaws and missing pieces. I do need the hardware since the V1 sensors are no longer available. I don’t see any issue with this.

1 Like

You are absolutely correct. What I was trying to say was that I am not telling anyone to do that, but I knew some have. I for one may not renew the subscription, but it was something I wanted to try. I paid the year as I wanted to give it a good test. I know Wyze improves options over time.

Like you, my main interest and need was the V2 Sensors and Hub. I have to say that I like the new sensor system and the increased distance the Bridge could not achieve. I have since retired the bridge, joined the V1 Sensors to the new Hub Sense, and put a V1 sensor down a hall where it could not go before. Call me impressed. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I too was impressed with the increased range. I was also hoping to be impressed with HMS, but alas, it was not to be. I hope there will be substantial improvement over time. If so, I’ll give HMS another chance.

1 Like

Never owned a security system so cannot compare to something else. What features are missing - excuse my ignorance here. :slight_smile:

Multiple PINS, schedules, immediate alarms on some sensors but not all, local siren only without alerts to Noonlight. Many others too numerous to list.

Interesting – Those would be great items. I know I don;t have it on my Wifes app because she cannot fully control it yet.

So if what I’m reading is right, both you and @WildBill have bought the HMS Core Starter Kit, cancelled the HMS subscription, and can still use your Entry Sensor v2’s for things like the following, right?

• When entry sensor opens, trigger camera upload to cloud
  • When motion sensor detects motion, trigger light bulbs to turn on
  • Use v2 sensors for IFTTT functions
  • etc

I’ve also been trying to get a straight answer as to what features actually get turned off when you cancel the subscription, but haven’t been able to find anything definitive or anyone who has tried it out without the subscription and tested what functionality remains.

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

I originally cancelled my HMS subscription after one month and all the functions you listed still work. The sensors will trigger cameras, send alerts, etc. everything you would expect from them. Just the HMS functionality stopped, which is what I’d expect since the plan is to sell them without the service. Also, as @spamoni said (I think he said anyway) you can add the hub, keypad, motion and contact sensors to your account without ever activating HMS. You just go through the add device process, adding the hub first. Forgot to mention that things like Test Mode, siren, etc. don’t work since you don’t have HMS.

2 Likes

Awesome! I was worried Wyze was starting to move away from their best business model feature - no subscriptions needed. Thanks for the quick response, this helps a ton. Time for me to go buy the core starter kit

1 Like

The unfortunate thing is the kit has increased in price to around $80 so it is no longer the bargain it was.