New Wyze light bulbs

Just wondering, do the new bulbs work thru the Wyze Sense or are they controlled strictly thru wifi with the Wyze?
I have watched the video and looked around and cannot find my answer…
I am already using the Wyze Sense switches but would like to use one of the bulbs at a different location…
p.s., I just pre-ordered the 4 pack…

They appear to operate independently on WiFi, no Sense Bridge required.

Honestly I would have been okay with them either way since I have multiple cams/bridges, but I think WiFi is the best option to keep the initial cost of implementation down for users who may not have/need Sense.

I was wondering the same thing, I was just about to place an order but then i got curious. This would have been way better if it required a hub. That way if you buy 8 bulbs you don’t have to connect them to the wifi individually and instead just connect the hub and all bulbs should be good to go. Also my router’s mac address filtering option is turned on and i have very limited slots left. So if i was to buy 8 bulbs and only have 3 or 4 slots left them i would be in big problems.

I was leaning that way because they were not sold as a sensor addition…

I want to use one in another home with wifi using my existing app…

Thanks, I appreciate the quick answer…

The way Wyze Sense works you have to “pair” each sensor to a specific bridge anyway, so you’d still have to set up individual bulbs. I’m interested to see how the setup works since the bulb won’t be able to scan a barcode from the app :grinning:

@gcanhigh I know you probably have reasons for MAC filtering and you may not be able to upgrade your router, but there are still other ways around that limitation like using a separate wireless access point for all your Wyze/IoT devices. That’s definitely one situation where a Sense version of the bulb would be helpful.

2 Likes

A friend is a (hardware) beta tester and has had a couple for awhile.

He has had a bit of a problem setting up but said he didn’t get to spend much time with them yet.

Maybe the final release will soften the blow…

Wyze has always sold stuff that works out of the box so I ordered mine with confidence…

I have a few other WiFi smart bulbs and they all follow the same basic setup process where you turn the power off and back on rapidly, wait for the light to blink, connect to the bulb through an ad hoc WiFi network to upload the initial configuration, then let the bulb connect to WiFi on its own and hope it appears on your network. It’s a bit tedious but doesn’t take long and works most of the time. Looking forward to seeing how Wyze has improved the setup process.

That’s the reason I pre-ordered them too. And I never pre-order anything :slight_smile:

Would be nice if I could pre-order the bulbs here in Toronto, Canada.

1 Like

The bulbs don’t ship until mid-June, and Wyze has said they hope to have shipping to Canada set up this summer, so you may not have to wait very long :drooling_face: