My Wyze cam v3 does not reconnect to local wifi after a temporary wifi outage

Thanks @NWDragracer for the offer! Since I added a Netgear wifi extender to the public wifi (with its own password) and connected the Wyze v3 to it, the cam DID connect back to the local wifi after a temporary outage. The cam kept its initially assigned IP address (10.1.163.182) before the wifi extender was used. This fix seems to have resolved the issue, but this should not be necessary and a Wyze FW update should be needed if others are also experiencing this same issue.

I’ve had this problem also. But it may be related to a wi-fi extender recovering from the power outage BEFORE the router is up.
My situation was with a new Fiber installation (YEAH!!).
We had a power outage and several cams did not come up.
Yet the fiber companies app showed they were connected,
Calling the fiber company they showed it as connected. Unplugging the extender caused the cameras to reconnect to the router, but with a weak signal.
I then plugged the extender back in and all worked fine.

Looks like Wyze is doing an incremental update like in the past to only selected users. I guess they’re playing it safe and watching for a possible outcry before a full blown release.

Are you enrolled in the beta program? Did you add the v3 cam to the list of devices to test?

Account > about > beta program

No, not in the beta program, just patiently awaiting a FW update to my Wyze cam v3 :slight_smile:

For those using their own access points, here are some settings that can cause trouble…

Support for 802.11ax - This the latest standard supports WiFi6. MUMIMO “Multi User MIMO” is included as well. I have seen all kinds of both infrastructure and client devices have issues with this and it should be disabled if possible. At the very least the client devices should not enable it in their drivers.

See What is 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6)? New Wi-Fi Standard | Extreme Networks

Use 20MHz channels. I’ve found that using wider channels (40MHz or larger) can cause connection issues. I believe this is because device manufacturers don’t thoroughly test using these channel widths. Wider channels advertise higher throughput speeds, but there are downsides in interference detection on the bonded channels.

Alright, yea currently there is no update available for the v3 outside of beta, but when that changes you will see an update

The same thing happens to me. I had one v3 on the center of garage top. I decided to add one extra v3 to cover all front yard so one at the left size of garage and one at the right side on garage. My modem/router combo is at the left size. No problem with the Left v3 but R v3 keeps offline most of time. I have to power cycle it to back to wifi. Soon it will be offline again if wifi is slow or temporarily out. I even switch these 2 v3 and get the same result, always no problem with the Lv3, R v3 offline most of time. The interesting thing is both v3 are only 6 or 7 feets aways from each other. Both has the latest firmware, 4.36.11.5859. Anyone knows how to solve the problem?

1 Like

Hi :slight_smile:
Do you actually use cameras?
Many put V3 camera on some UPS to protect from power failures.
Thus smart plug won’t work :rofl:

How did you come to this conclusion? Why would UPS prevent a smart plug from working?

2 Likes

sorry about this, yes most may work, some may self reboot on power failure, others self power off camera.
if you meant ac power plug to which you plug usb power supply it is dumb idea because you convert dc to ac to dc.
other thing for my v3, power cycling camera does not restore connectivity, i have to power cycle router so power plug will not work

How is this different than plugging the USB power supply directly to a wall mounted outlet? The outlet is AC so is the smart plug. The only difference is that I have the option of cutting and restoring power to the camera remotely. I fail to see your logic of DC conversion to AC and back to DC.

Power cycling from the App does not cut power to the camera, just restarts it. Smart plug does.

2 Likes

If your router doesn’t have remote reboot access, they do make remote restart Smart Power Supply devices specifically for Routers that will cycle the power if the unit still has internet connectivity. They have a single command reboot feature that runs on the Smart Power Supply. The units also constantly monitor for Internet connectivity and, if lost, will automatically reboot the router thru onboard power cycle logic.

However, if it requires a router reboot to get devices back online, IMO the router needs to be retired. The connectivity issues are being caused by the router dropping the device and not allowing it back on the network.

It is important that users choose a Smart Plug that has Power Failure Recovery logic. I have two brands in use. Both have “Return to Last State” logic that will automatically recover from a power failure to the last state the plug was in. Most basic Smart Plugs have this logic, however some have user configuration settings wherein they can be configured to recover to On or Off

The AC to DC to AC conversion of the power has no bearing on the issue. And, even if it were an issue, this wouldn’t be the case for DC Output UPS devices. The UPS, when power is on, doesn’t convert the AC being delivered to the devices plugged in. It is a direct AC circuit throughput while also converting to DC on a separate circuit just to charge the battery. Only when the power is disconnected does the UPS switch the to the backup DC to AC conversion circuit to supply DC power from the battery to the AC devices.

Placing the Smart Plug on a UPS power supply would be pointless since the Smart Plug would loose power in the event of an outage while the UPS would switch to Emergency Backup and continue to power the device. However, placing the device on the Smart Plug, plugged into an AC Output UPS, would function properly so long as the ISP Modem\ONT and Router are also UPS powered. I have one cam that is powered in this manner from my central UPS. But, since my router is 100% rock solid and doesn’t drop cams, I have yet to use the plug since upgrading my network.

For cams that are too far away from the central UPS, the Smart Plug is not an option unless the user is Ritchie Ritch with AC Output UPS everywhere there is a Cam. For these cams, a smaller DC output UPS is a more economical option. These would not be able to utilize an AC powered Smart Plug, but could benefit from a DC USB Smart Plug.

1 Like

cant help you.

thanks for the ideas.
i just prefer smaller ups with usb outputs.
maybe i will get smart plugs that work on usb.

3 for $20 on Amazon

Splenssy Tuya Micro DC 5V 2.5 A USB Smart WiFi Adaptor for USB Devices, DIY Smart Home Wireless USB Adaptor, APP Remote Control, Compatible with Alexa and Google Home for Voice Control

https://a.co/d/2TKZ3Ee