My Wyze Cam V3 died in the rain

Hello AnnWithAPlan.
Attached is a Word Document for your son-in-law with the instructions for drawing and then 3D printing a Sq Tube Glare Shield aimed at the aim angles best for your situation. Use the values of your chosen horizontal and vertical aim angles in the formulas provided in the doc.
Please give me a like.

Victor.

(Attachment Sq Tube Glare Shield Drawing .docx is missing)

1 Like

A glare shield? Should be interesting. Thanks, but it says the file is missing.

Hello AnnWithAPlan.
I suspect the lack of a file has to do with the Wyze Forum Fire Wall or equivalent. If you send me an email to victormaletic@gmail.com I will reply with the Word document.

Till later.
Victor.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

Looks like rain on the lens. I had that happen to mine. I keep a rubbery thing (those thin sheets that are used for crafts) over the top and back my cam that doesn’t have protection. Another cam died after a storm and I just got a replacement for it last week since it was still under warranty.

(post deleted by author)

I had 4 V3 that the lense cracked,we just ordered new replacement not bad 4 out 80 + cams that we have out in service also there so cheap if they die trash it and get another 1,its not a Sony camera at $1,300.00 +

1 Like

True. I thought about throwing it away and getting another one, but figured I’d give it a try and see if they’d send me another one and they did. Figured I’d hang on to the broken one in case someone wanted to fool around with it.

1 Like

Mine are at a 50+% failure rate in less than a year for the ones that are out in the elements, so costly and annoying just to replace.

Yours are under warranty like i said there cheap…there no bullet prof we still have V2 in the elements going on 3 + years

Most of my friends just order the camera on Amazon since it is a wize store and send the bad unit back …takes less than 4 days to get your refund

1 Like

I bought all of mine through Amazon, too. But the last few times I contacted Wyze directly and I didn’t have to return the old ones. The first one I had problems with was that static, so I was still able to use it but kept the sound off. The second one was with the broken one, where they’d sent the replacement but the picture was blurry. I complained about that and they sent another replacement, which is fine. I just realized yesterday that the blurry one is in focus at about 6 inches! Since I didn’t have to return it, I’m going to set it up where I was previously recording hummingbirds and see how it does there.

Try one WITHOUT a case, your case is probably trapping the water so it can seep in…
16 V3’s all outdoors here, All still working - 100% non-failure rate in 2 years…

1 Like

I’m surprised they work at all outdoors. All 15 of mine have holes in the back, and you can see the internal electronics.

Two of mine are inside the chicken coops, 2 are in their yard under canopies. One got exposed during a storm and the canopy collapsed, and that’s why I was hesitant about getting it replaced. But they did, because of the warranty. 3 others are under the eves of the house. Only one is out in the elements but that one is covered with a flexible, rubbery flap.

Hello @AnnWithAPlan , @bryonhu , @ipscone , @kae4560 , and @Reefer .
Back in posts #42and 43 is shown a simple helmet that can be fitted over the V3. Using it may prevent the issues raised in your posts. The helmet is configured so water cannot be sucked up by capillary action to any moisture-sensitive parts of the camera. Mine were printed at my local library at no direct cost to me (just county taxes).
Below is a copy of the link in post #42 for the STL print file.
Helmet Mod 2.stl

Till later, Victor.

1 Like

Hi Victor. I’m pretty sure I downloaded that file when you posted it before. Thanks again. The only cam I have exposed now has a rubber cover that protects it.