My Wyze App used 21 GB of data in the last month. Can anyone help me understand why?

I have a Wyze Lock, Wyze Plug, and a Wyze Cam Pan. Over the last 30 days I have used 2 GB on data and 19 GB on wifi. I receive about 10 detection alerts a night from cats.

Does anyone know why I would be using so much data? It seems to have spiked all of a sudden the last month or two… the only thing that has changed is I added the wyze lock to the mix.

I really don’t want to use 20GB a month on a few detections here and there… something else has to be going on but I’m not smart enough to figure it out.

1 Like

I had a similar issue, and no 100% resolution found. But what I can ask is, are you backing out of the video page for the camera or just minimizing on that screen? Apparently wyze cams can run in the background when minimized as opposed to backing out of that screen.

Hope that helps?

2 Likes

Interesting. This prompted me to check - 6MB mobile and 3GB Wi-Fi, so far this month. That is with a handful of cams, some plugs, and a bridge with sensor. Seems reasonable, since I check the cams a few times per day. Not sure if that is a helpful benchmark, but 20GB would be some serious streaming.

2 Likes

I think it’s the auto unlock feature of the lock. I noticed high data use after adding the lock, and it stopped after I turned auto unlock off from the Android app.

1 Like

I’ve used 40.80 MB, with the Wyze app, this month with 8 cameras.
You shouldn’t be using significant amounts of data unless you are streaming video.

1 Like

Thank you. I just disabled auto unlock and will see if that cuts down on the data usage… will keep you updated

1 Like

when I get a notification I double tap and watch it… then I close the app instead of minimizing it…

I only get a handful of notifications… and I try to not leave the app running…

1 Like

Just for your reference, I do the same for cams… notification, double tap, watch, force close app. I get a ton of notifications and my 30-day data usage for the Android Wyze app averaged over the past 4 months is:

0.03 GB/mo mobile data (0.02 GB foreground, < 0.01 GB background)
20.13 GB/mo WiFi data (20.06 GB foreground, 0.08 GB background)

1 Like

I just had this problem. The app used over 2 gigabytes of data in one day. All I can figure out is that I accidentally minimized the camera video stream instead of backing out of it. Does anyone know if this is still the case, that minimizing will continue to use data? Cost me over $20 in mobile data usage. Hopefully they can fix this soon. I’m sure others have had the same issue.