Motion detection - false positive (incorrect motion detection)

Hi,
I use IFTTT to trigger a Smartthings switch to start an alarm when my Wyzecam 2 detects motion. So far so good. The problem is that the wyzecam detects motion when nobody’s home, and I don’t have cats or dogs. It happens always around sunset 4:30 PM during winter time. The camera points towards the inside of the house, so there is no reason to be triggered by cars passing on the street. My sensitivity was set at 50, then I reduced it at 40 but it still detects motion. I find this ridiculous and I don’t know what to do. It pissed me off and I thought to I throw it Away and buy a Blink.
I have kept a recording of an event the 12 seconds where you can see that nothing moves. I can eventually upload it if there is a way, as a proof. Let me know please if other people have the same issue and how to fix this.
Thanks

1 Like

I had a mine at 0 and it still alerted. I just kept adjusting the slider and eventually it took. Not sure the issue

1 Like

The cameras don’t actually detect motion, per se, but changes in pixels. I have two cameras mounted outdoors that do the same thing close to sunset. Please see this support article. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This happens sometimes. If the light suddenly changes, for example, that requires the camera to readjust its white balance which will look like a lot of pixels changing, from the camera’s perspective. Do you have the green motion highlighting boxes on? If so, you can see where specifically it thinks its detecting motion. When lighting changes cause it, the green box often takes up most of the screen, or if the light is hitting the floor or wall, you’ll see it highlight the spot where the light is.

If you’d like more accurate motion detection, the motion sensor included with the Wyze Sense kit doesn’t really throw false positives if you’re in an indoor environment. You can trigger the camera based on the motion sensor instead, if the camera isn’t accurate enough. In my experience. I’ve never had a false positive with the motion sensor indoors. (Outdoors, that would be a different story. There are too many unpredictable environmental changes outdoors, so you’d probably get a lot of false positives)

1 Like

I don’t agree that false positives don’t occur frequently inside. I have DOZENS of false positives EVERY day from INSIDE my house. No animals, no drafts, no discernible movement of any type but one or more of my 5 indoor cams will log a motion. All cameras are on the lowest motion sensitivity, all cameras have the latest software installed, I’ve analysed the video and can’t detect any motion. Maybe a pixel may have changed which is unobservable with the human eye but given the setting is on the lowest sensitivity I’m at a loss to understand why so many false positives.

Dozens every day. I’ve had to turn off notifications when I’m away from the house because I’m bombarded by false positives. It totally destroys the raison d’etre in having the cameras in the first place!

Not happy!