Motion alarms from headlights

I have a new V2 and using IOS. My camera is set pointing at my front porch from the door well with my driveway and a busy street in the background. I have the motion zone set to not cover the street so passing cars don’t trigger false notices. Having a rectangular motion zone in a fisheye lens causes me to lose quite a bit of coverage, but that’s another issue. My problem is at night, passing car headlights are sending alerts like crazy when the headlights shine all across my yard as cars drive by. Ideally, I would like to have Alert Profiles that could have different motion zones and settings that could take effect based on the night/day mode of the camera or maybe be scheduled. Short of getting that wish list granted, are there any options other than reducing my motion zone to near nothing?

Please hop over to the post below and VOTE for it (button at top of topic).

Voting done! Although, zone shape is just part of the problem. I see others are having similar problems with headlights, clouds and other shadows that are not physical movement. I can see this might not be much of a problem with indoor only cameras, but in the outdoor market, this will have to be addressed. I’ve discovered practically my entire yard is subject to headlight induced false alarms. Reducing the motion zone to 1/20th of the visible area 24x7 because of headlights is discouraging to say the least. I could reduce the motion zone at night to cover things just within IR light zone, but manually shifting the zone twice a day isn’t practical.

2 Likes

Hi @OverWatch, you can go to this topic and add your wishes for the outdoor camera being developed. :slight_smile:

Thanks. Will check it out.

1 Like

These cams don’t monitor actual movement, but they just differentiate the pixels between frames. That is the problem with the high false positives because of lights/shadows/wind and so on.

For outdoor use, they would have to have an actual motion sensor or have to really ramp up the CPU on these cams to be able to process much more complex calculations to detect vector based motion.

3 Likes

Right, and I was hoping the Outdoor/Weatherproof Wyze Cam would address this issue, but it seems the approach is to make the Outdoor/Weatherproof Wyze Cam battery powered that comes with all the conserve battery baggage. Just to be clear, I have nothing against a battery powered camera, but an Outdoor/Weatherproof Wyze Cam (vs an Battery Wyze Cam) I would have thought would focus on weather sealing and the false alarm issues related to outdoor alerts from shadows, clouds, headlights and other outdoor issues. In a fully powered camera, I would think these outdoor issue could be solved or at least minimized. Again, not knocking the excellent efforts on the battery model, but still see the need for a robust fully powered Outdoor/Weatherproof Wyze Cam without the battery issues.

I also have the issue of car headlights triggering notifications. @OverWatch your post made me wonder is another option would be to add motion detection sensitivity based on day part. For example, from 6am–8pm the detection setting would be higher sensitivity, and 8pm–6am would be lower sensitivity. I’d also like to see the camera ignore flashes of light, but that may be a more difficult ask.

3 Likes

Clouds trigger mine…not looking at clouds but how clouds in front of sun change brightness

2 Likes