Miserable Wyze bulbs

I have eight bulbs and 6 are in the kitchen ceiling “cans” and I can not get them to hold the wifi signal. Not to mention the difficulty in setting them up one at a time and then trying to group them. What is your success process?

Thanks!

Did you set them up while they were all in the ceiling together? I’d recommend using a single bulb lamp (os similar) and set them up one by one first. I used a sharpie to make a small mark so I know which one was programmed which, then put them all in their multi bulb fixtures. Where is your wifi source compared to the can lights? How many other devices do you have on your system?

Yes I did…your suggestion makes sense. I will try that process. I have many IOTs in my system. I am running an router mesh system and it is ax wifi6 and covereage is good.
I will update after …

Thanks!

1 Like

I would agree, the bulbs are a fail. I have multiple cams and plugs working fine. The bulbs are a waste. Make the plug with variable power to dim an LED bulb downstream. Also a wall switch.

Sorry you are having problems…I have had NONE with mine. Sounds like a network issue though, I’d try one bulb at a time just to make sure there is not a faulty bulb. two are on sensors and two are on timer.

I have 4 in Michigan and 4 in AZ and none of them work as they should. The cams and plugs work at twice the distance from the router. It might be that the antenna in the bulb is surrounded by the metal base in the lamp? I don’t know…

Like I mentioned before I have 12 bulbs in use. Three outside and I’ve had zero failures. Maybe it’s the router That I’m using. Because I’m using a mesh router that has two satellites. But I have three of the lights running on Alexa routines and again they never fail.

Two lights run off of a motion sensor on my front porch. One light runs on my back porch off of a contact sensor on my back door. Three lights run on a contact sensor to the unfinished part of my basement. Two lights run off of a motion sensor in my laundry room. And three lights run off of the contact sensor on the door to my closet. And one light runs off of a motion sensor in the master bathroom as a night light.

Yes, I bought 8 bulbs about 3 months ago. All worked ok just after setup. Now, 3 have either burned out or our off line. This would say they aren’t built very well.

Have you talk to support and submit a support ticket. Because it is odd that they went bad or you’ve had problems with them that soon. That’s what supports there for I’d use em.

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/categories/360001760192-Wyze-Bulb

1 Like

Unifi network, 3 Wyze bulbs at ~45’ from the nearest antenna at my house. Have had zero issues, all three are working flawlessly.

1 Like

yeah, after having problems with the Wyze Cams I opted for Merkury Brand smart bulbs from Walmart of all places. 75watt equivalent, multi color bulbs were 2 for 20 bucks. They have been rock solid. Require that you use the Geeni app, but so far they’ve been great.

Quality wifi is everything in a world of ever increasing IoT devices. Same thing here, all in one modem router from ISP, lots of problems; installed a unify ap in house, no problems at all.

1 Like

I’m not sure it’s the same problem, but I’ve had a couple of my bulb GROUPS drop from the app altogether- just this week, my Dining Room group (5 bulbs) all stopped working, and had to be re-added. This is a massive PITA, and makes me wonder if switching to smart bulbs was wise.

1 Like

I have 4 lightbulb groups and I’ve never had that happen. So I’m going to keep my eyes open for that because that would not be fun. Thanks for sharing. Sorry it happened

Everyone’s experience will be different. But I had exactly that same issues you are describing. I was ready to toss out my 4 WORTHLESS WYZE bulbs. But I took some advice from someone on this forum, submitted a ticket from the Wyze App, got a network scan, made the changes they recommended (improved network, faster ISP service) and voila, I went to 100% zero issues ever since. I am now up to 32 Wyze bulb all running in groups, and routines in the Wyze app and Alexa. Zero Issues. I just ordered 4 more. I have them in lamps, ceiling fans, and recessed can lights in a 3,400 square foot home with 10-16 foot ceilings. All of them work 100% of the time. They all turn on and off at set times throughout the day. “Alexa Goodnight” turns them all off for the night. I can’t help but think the main determinants of WYZE BULB performance in my home are WIFI network performance and ISP performance. If you still want to get rid of them, please ping me, I’ll take em.

3 Likes

I suspect most issues people have with any wyze product or other smart home device is related to their network.

Just curious, what exact changes did you make?

1 Like

I had an issue with one of mine that I put outside (out of 4 bulbs). I swiped it out with one of the bulbs inside and they have been fine ever since. Not sure if that one just had faulty hardware and could not receive a consistent signal outside but it works fine inside now

1 Like

Ken,

I updated a 5-year-old Netgear Wifi with a Google Nest Mesh package. I actually have Cat5 around my home so I bought 2 routers instead of a router and an AP. The main router is plugged right into my Cox cable modem. The 2nd router is on the opposite end of the house upstairs. It is CAT5 wired back to the main Google Next router so it acts as a secondary wired AP. By wiring them together I don’t get the performance hit you get from AP’s that connect back wirelessly to the router.

I also increased the internet service from 50Mbps to 300Mpbs. It just improved performance in all my wireless devices. My 4k streaming services run better. My wireless devices never disconnect anymore. My Wyze Cams pull up faster.

Like others I didn’t notice performance was lagging with my older set up other than my 4k streaming would buffer from time to time. Most of my devices stayed connected so I assumed all was OK. It was when I started using WYZE BULBS that I noticed they would go OFF-LINE within a few hours or within a day of being set up. I rebooted them, I reinstalled them, I reinstalled the software. Nothing worked. :tired_face: I think the issue is they are the weakest performers in my wireless environment so they are the first to go down when the network is bogging down or intermittent.

In any case, the change has been remarkable. I enjoy my smart home now and my 32 WYZE SMART BULBS (36 after the mail comes today :blush: ) are the most fun and visible part of it. The Wyze Cams are pretty fun too. I have routines for morning, for watching movies, for bedtime, for lighting up the house for the cleaning lady, etc. Everything works as it should.

So for me, my problems were not the Wyze wireless devices, they were network related. I get on here and post because I was one of the ones on here complaining and moaning about the Wyze Bulbs being crap. Now I want to man up, admit I was wrong, and possibly help other frustrated end users who may have a similar issue.

3 Likes

Kory, I think that is probably the case. I bought a new iPhone that would drop calls at the same spot just about every day. My other iPhone never dropped calls in that spot. I complained to Verizon about it, they swapped it out and the replacement never drops calls in that spot. I think antenna gain on wireless devices can vary between devices. Obviously the stronger the signal the less noticeable those differences become. That’s why I went Mesh. To improve signal strength throughout my property.

1 Like

Yeah, I have since added in 2 access points. This has helped greatly as well, not just on the bulbs but everything else. In addition, anything that could be hard wired, is

1 Like