Mini-split blocking wifi?

I have a cam3 about 15 feet from a mini-split indoor head unit. I cannot keep the camera connected. I have a very strong signal. I am beginning to believe the mini-split is interrupting the wifi signal. Has anybody had that problem before?

I would download a Wi-Fi analyzer on your cell phone. This will allow you to actually live analyze your Wi-Fi signal and so you could test it away from the unit and near it and see if you’re getting any difference in interference. I would start there and see what kind of results you get… it’s easy and free :slight_smile:

I keep two on my phone just so I can kind of average the results, but I’m a nerd
Screenshot_20220118-205148_Finder

2 Likes

I have one, I have a very strong signal. The wyze app shows 3 bars at that location. Just won’t stay connected. I have tried several cameras, all have the same result. The latest one is brand new.

1 Like

Sounds like you have done your fair amount of homework, I would move the camera farther and farther away and see how far away you have to be before you get reliable connection. And then if that’s replicatable with multiple cameras as you’ve already tried I would definitely say there’s some interference happening

Well, the camera was attached to a large double pane window outside about 7 feet up the wall, about 30 feet from the router with only one wall and the glass blocking the way. I went out with the analyzer and took a reading at the camera. The wifi signal would start around -36 then drop off to nothing at the camera. I dropped down below the window where the wall was the signal jumped back up to -56 and would be enough for the camera to operate. Something in that window was blocking the signal. Go figure.

1 Like

One other thing, the wifi analyzer would show no signal but the wyze app would show 3 bars on the Device info page.

I’ve never been very trustworthy of those three bars. I remember having faults with those years ago, something with the coding there. I kind of forget the even exist nowadays and just test with something more reliable personally.

You noticed that by the window the signal dropped, double glazed glass can block signal. I remember reading that a long time ago with an issue I had. It might be worth looking into that.

2 Likes

I heard leaded glass can do that? Also 30 ft is a lot for some routers!

1 Like