Maximum length of the USB cable allowed for Wyze cam V3

Your suggestion of 12v got me to thinking, what about a higher voltage, e.g., 24v? There are several 120 to 24vdc converters for LED strip lights, etc, for under $20. Since I’m thinking about powering perhaps 5 cameras, that’s 25 watts. I have a run of 60’, and I’m realizing it could be close to 90’, therefore, the higher the voltage, the better. There are quite a few waterproof 24v to 5v converters for under $15 (some under $10), and many take a variety of input voltages so a small voltage drop in feeding them shouldn’t be a big deal. Am I missing something? Thanks for the input.

1 Like

24 volts may be too much voltage for some of these 5 volt regulator Micro-USB adapters.

The ones I used stated NOT for 24 volt systems, and besides the ones I have used will work with just 8 volts input.

My longest run is over 180 feet with 4 cameras and the voltage drop is 2 volts, so you will be fine with 12-14 volt supply. It is NOT the voltage but the Amperage that matters.

For each camera on string add 1 amp to power supply size…

For your 5 camera run use this supply pointed out in above post…
DC 12V 5A Power Supply Adapter Converter Transformer AC 100-240V input with 5.5x2.1mm DC Output Jack

Since the ones I prefer seem to be out of stock on Amazon currently, I suggest these ones.
2 Pieces DC-DC Buck Converter Module 12V to 5V Adapter Compatible,Waterproof Voltage Step Down Connector (Micro USB)
As stated in the specs for this one “Input voltage: DC8-20V, changes to 5V.”
But if you like smoke…LOL go ahead and over-voltage…JK :rofl:

Please refer to POST 17 in this thread for all the info like, like low voltage wiring, twist connectors, etc…

1 Like

I specifically said 24v to 5v converter.
It’s useful to know that your runs are that long- that was information that I don’t remember seeing before. Thanks for including it (perhaps again).

If you can find one then go for it, all that I have seen are 8-20v input to 5 volt output Micro-USB regulators… Especially in the weatherproof variety of them.

If you want to get real fancy run 24 VAC then have a bridge rectifier at each adapter to turn to DC as you will have far less voltage drop using AC. I would suggest a capacitor to on DC output side of bridge rectifier for good engineering practices though.

One can make their system as complicated or as easy as they like, Some of us are engineers and others are not. You seem to be more inclined to the engineering side, so carry on :grinning:

For a five camera run, do you daisey chain the converters from wire nut to wire nut?

Pretty much identical 12V to 5V converter on ebay as of 02/2024.