Loss of Communication/Network Connection Notification & Log

I would like both an audible alert and notification option when a Wyze cam is physically moved, it’s vision is blocked, as well as when power is lost. If your not physically watching your camera feed you would never know anything happened to the camera. Alexa announces when a person is detected but I would never know that one of my cameras was covered or turned away from it’s coverage area, for example, while asleep.

1 Like

Notification for device offline

When a device goes offline or turned off that a notification is sent to app, e-Mail or text.

1 Like

one notification is sufficient, it doesn’t need to be a persistent notification. As well, once you get the notification when you go to the app you will see it is offline.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve assumed this would have become a feature a long time ago but it still hasn’t so all of my customers that were going to use Wyze for security cameras have had to choose other companies because it’s feature that is absolutely necessary. I don’t know why they haven’t added it yet but hopefully they will soon.

1 Like

Does the Wyze team ever respond to these requests? Seems like a worthless blog.

1 Like

Not usually, nor is it expected. This is primarily a user-to-user forum. But Wyze does read Wishlist topics and acts on them: Wishes Granted

The current state of this wishlist topic has recently been changed to In Progress researching:

How to Use the Wishlist

4 Likes

The first suggestion that Wyze handle it through software (or the app) is simple and elegant.

Configuration of a raspberry pi and custom scripting seems the least easy and least simple solution. No offense meant but that would serve about 3 customers with a lot of time on their hands and a $150 of hardware for a $20 camera

1 Like

Just here to post an update on this. We are still researching this but we have to do a few things before we work on this. We need to solve the issue of devices saying they are offline even though they are in fact online and viewable. We would also like to make the connection a bit more robust first. This is something on our radar still though.

9 Likes

Thank you for the update and letting us know it is something in the plan.

3 Likes

Thank you for the update. It’s nice to know it’s still on the table.

2 Likes

Thank you, Jason. Even if you just rolled this out for certain devices while continuing to troubleshoot the “offline but not really” issue, it’d be appreciated. It would add a lot to the ‘security’ side of the cameras.

2 Likes

This is a great idea. Roll it out first to the cameras that don’t have the “offline but not really issue” and then do it to the other ones as they get them more reliable.

Wyze could potentially make this a selectable toggle to opt into as well. That could seemingly reduce the amount of notifications the server makes to only go out to those who opt into it, instead of to everyone.

Also, I know some people purposely take their cameras offline, for example, I was helping a guy who set up a camera at his warehouse using the hotspot on his smart phone, then after it was setup, he turned off the hotspot and left, so the camera would keep recording to the SD card, but wouldn’t be online. In that case, how often would the camera send him an offline notification? He probably doesn’t even want it. Or when I temporarily disconnect a camera and put it in a drawer, but don’t delete it from the app (I have almost 40, so sometimes I leave the older ones offline). Hopefully they only send 1 when they first go offline and then stop reporting. But I’d be happy to opt out of offline notifications for some of them that I only use sporadically. Though I’m fine with a notification for them, just saying Wyze doesn’t need to notify me of all of them if it will save the server processing. Just an idea of why an opt-in might be good.

1 Like

The alert shouldn’t be a black and white on/offline, to your point, there would need to be layers to allow the alert to become useful… It would be amazing if Wyze put an IFTTT system in place so if certain triggers were hit, it would then trigger the alert. Eg: Camera is offline for X minutes - this would generate an alert where x is the variable configured for time.

I’ve seen many companies take this challenge head on but always run back into the challenge of not triggering off of a false positive. The best way I’ve seen this accomplished is if the devices have NTP sync and/or DNS resolution, if one of those is not working appropriately, then the device will reflect “offline” within the cloud / app platform.

3 Likes

Internet offline alert.

Since many of us depend on Wyze for security, would be nice to have an alert that the capability is offline. if there is no internet connection for more than a few minutes, an offline alert would be great.
I have a single EZVIZ camera from way back when we were testing out different options, It alerts me when the internet is down at our cabin so I know that the cameras are offline.
We depend on person alerts that someone is there….but that’s assuming that there is a connection. Could go for days assuming everything is ok when I’m fact the internet went down so alerts weren’t getting through.

1 Like

Absolutely, important points.

I think there could be a generic setting option and, for more advanced users, a “rule” based system that allowed tweaking of variables. And it could all start opt-in to allow kinks to be worked out. (Come on, bring it to the OG!)

I know there are challenges but here’s hoping.

2 Likes

Option to get notified if one of my cameras goes offline

Hi, I subscribe to CamPlus. Sometimes my cameras have gone offline, but I don’t realize until days later. Would you please create a way to set an alarm that would notify me when a camera goes offline?

Thanks.

3 Likes

Disconnection notification

Just giving an opinion and request here. I feel it would be great to be notified if a camera or base station became disconnected or powered off. This could be a simple update to our current notification settings. Perhaps a setting for entire system disconnection or individual camera. I would like to see such notification through email or txt.

Any thoughts WYZE community?

2 Likes

I would love this too. It doesn’t seem like it should be that hard to implement since when I open the app it tells me what’s online and offline. It doesn’t give me much hope that a request from 2018 is still open. Plenty of other smart home brands are capable of this.

3 Likes

There is no way to be alerted in the Wyze app that I have found for when any cameras become unreachable / offline.

2 Likes

Thank you for the update! I really think that the following goals discussed in this thread are great, and am excited to see more updates.

• notification for device offline/unreachable
  • option to set a count-down to notification from when a device stops returning ping requests and when it sends out an alert (to reduce small connection issue spamming).
    (Instant, 2, 5, 10, 30, 60 minutes, etc…)
  • log of connection failures
    (last 60 recorded with a chart that displays device connection stability)

There are a lot of good ideas in this thread, I hope it can get sorted sooner than later, this would be an absolutely stellar app feature.

I know I depend on this to let me know if someone breaks into my house and/or shed while I’m out, and if someone were to get in and notice/unplug the camera before it spotted them, I’d be SOL until I manually checked my app.

4 Likes