Lens focal length and horizontal field of view – V2 and V3

Can anyone enlighten me as to these lens characteristics of the Wyze Cam V2 and V3?
Specifically, horizontal field of view not diagonal.
Thank you.

Go Google it

@n6ac
The v2 has 110 degree field of view and the v3 has a 130 degree field of view

3 Likes

@WyzeJasonJ –
I believe those are diagonal measure.
And are the 2 really different? By lens focal length, or sensor size?
Want to know FLs.

@kae4560 –
Not found in Google !!!

1 Like

@n6ac
My understanding is it is field of view across (side to side). I do own both the v2 and v3 and they are slightly different. The v3 can see a bit further to each side (5 degrees),

About all you will get from the V3 specs in the Wyze Shop, and FCC data file…

130ΒΊ FOV - 1920x1080p

FCC data filed - FCC ID 2AUIUWYZEC3

1 Like

So, it appears that –
V2 diagonal FOV = 110Β°, sensor diag ~8mm, thus focal length ~2.8 mm ?
V3 diagonal FOV = 130Β°, sensor diag ~7mm, thus focal length ~1.6 mm ?
The calculations of focal length assume that the sensor chips are functional edge-to-edge, roughly scaling from the FCC site photos (V2 is at < https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/2ANJHWYZEC2 > )
My reason for asking is wanting to know what FOV will result if buy swap-out lenses.
Currently we have put a 16 mm in old V2, calculates as 28 degrees diagonal based on above.
If the above assumptions are correct, a 16 mm would bring a V3 to about 25 degrees diagonal.

For 1920x1090, width is 0.8716 times the diagonal so horizontal field of view for V2 is 96Β°, V3 is 114Β°
And pixels per horizontal degree – V2 is 20, V3 is 17 (rounded) with stock lens.
A 16 mm lens makes pixels per horizontal degree thus – V2 is 79, V3 is 89, with above assumptions.
Both enough for reading a license plate at 60 feet (12 inches wide, one degree).

2 Likes