Left outside on a rainy day, cam lens wet from inside, & 12-second clips

In the advertised specs of the Wyze Cam v3 outdoor camera, it is rated as IP 65 weather-resistant, but in my experience, that hasn’t been the case. Now into my third camera, the lens is wet again from the inside after using them outside on a rainy day and the resulting image displayed is fogged. It can take days before the image becomes clear again and with some cams the image never completely clears up. Can these cameras not be used outside?

My other concern with this camera is not with the camera itself, but rather the camplus subscription service. Even though I’ve paid for a membership to camplus, I’m still getting the 12 second video event clips on all my cameras. I’ve done everything advised by technical support, short of flashing my RTSP firmware, which I cannot do as I require a way to record video on my NVR, and still I am not able to get more than 12 second video clips. I feel that developers at Wyze are not addressing this issue because it has been a problem now for more than a year. I actually didn’t want to reinstate my subscription because of this issue, but I had no choice because the motion detection does not work properly without a subscription. Anyone have any experience or advice about these issues?

Related to the lens:

• How is your camera mounted and positioned? Is it upside-down or right-side up.
  • Also, is the lens pointing upward or straight or downward?
  • Does the cord go upward from the camera, or is the camera at the top and the cord heads downward?

As for RTSP, the RTSP firmware was deprecated some time ago, which means it is no longer kept up or up to date and it’s possible that there could be conflicts with changes to their updated network, AI, Cloud service and security updates that could be affecting your experience now.

One solution a lot of people have been doing about this that you might consider is running Docker Wyze Bridge on your NVR or a computer on your network, or whatever. With Docker Wyze Bridge you can use the most up to date official Wyze firmware on your cam and it will still allow you access to RTSP, locally on your network to be able to save video footage to your NVR. That is what most people are doing nowadays. It will also allow you to have the most up-to-date Wyze firmware instead of a separate one that is out of date and may be what is causing you to experience some of these recent bugs since I believe they are no longer taking that firmware into account when they do updates or how changes may affect that firmware.

Thank you for your reply. The camera is mounted with the stand facing down (upside up). The lens is pointing slightly up about 5°, but I found my cameras to fog regardless of whether they’re angled up or down; it usually happens after a two-day rainfall. The cord leaves straight and then down. I was concerned about the cord as well, so I created a drip loop. After an extended rainfall, the lens itself looks somewhat strange, like an oily film has formed on it; it takes a microfibre cloth and some patience to rub it off entirely, but it still shows a foggy image when viewed on the app. Thank you for your suggestion about the RTSP, I will try it.

Your positioning answers are good, so I don’t have really good suggestions for that.

Opening up the camera technically voids the warranty, but if it wasn’t under warranty anymore, something I’d consider doing in your position is maybe carefully positioning some some silica gel packets in the inside of the camera, then resealing everything back up again. Then, even if there is some kind of humidity or something getting in there somehow, it should mostly be sucked up by the silica gel, which may help prevent the fogging issue.

If I had this happen to me multiple times I would consider adding some kind of extra removable sealant substance around some of the more concerning areas that could possibly be the weak spot. Maybe around the tail; where the white casing and black face meet; maybe even try taping over the speaker holes on the back and the SD card slot/reset button. IDK, just thinking out loud about things I would consider doing. I do know that you and a few other people have reported experiencing humidity on the lens issues on multiple V3’s, so I know it happens. It has never happened to me, so I can only try to see if there are other patterns I’ve heard from others. I know several people with this issue have had theirs mounted upside-down or the lens facing upward (like watching the sky for meteors). That is why I asked about your mounting and orientation, to see if your situation fit that pattern, but it doesn’t, and you even thought of a drip loop, which I was going to suggest. Your answers were all good ones. I wish I had better suggestions. I don’t know why this happens to some people and not others. I’ve never had one leak or go foggy. I wish I knew why it does it to some of you.

As for Wyze Docker Bridge, I’ve heard a LOT of good things from people using it that they think it is way better than using the RTSP firmware. You might at least try it out on one of your V3’s and see how you like it.

1 Like

The V3 lenses are poorly sealed compared to the V2

Out of nearly 30 V3 cams I have replaced 8 with the same water in lens failure. Too bad the don’t sell replacement lenses :neutral_face:

27% FAILURE RATE on V3’s is unacceptable, and of course they fail just a short time after warranty is up :rage: