Installing Video Doorbell v1 and v2 at the same time, same chime

I’ve been searching for a response to this to not avail, even reached out to support but got no real answer, so, I’m posting here to see if anyone in the community have tried this or can provide some support :slight_smile:
I currently have a VDBv1 installed at my front door, I wanted the 24/7 recording so I got a VDBv2, my plan is to install the v2 at the front door and move the v1 to the back door.
I’m thinking the wiring should not be too hard, since you follow the v1 instructions on the “rear” side of the chime, and the v2 instructions on the “Front” part of the chime, which would look something like this:

Does it look right? Anything I might be missing here?
The other question is, both the VDBv1 and VDBv2 claim to require a minimum 16-24V 10VA transformer each, does that mean that I need to change mine to a 16-24V 20VA? Or could the 10VA power both?

Any thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Still trying to wrap my head around this, but i do know that individually, the install process of the VDBv1 actually bypasses the chime altogether, and the install process of the VDBv2 uses the legacy chime. This install may cause some miss-match with the power.

Edit/ BTW love the diagram! :slight_smile:

Thanks, it took some creativity to find a way to create the diagram :smiley:
According to this: https://support.wyze.com/hc/en-us/articles/360059340651-I-have-2-doorbells-and-1-chime-Can-I-replace-both-with-Wyze-Video-Doorbells I should be able to connect 2 VDBv1 to the same transformer as long as it’s 20VA. I’m assuming that might be also applicable to this scenario. But again, not 100% sure…

1 Like

That looks correct, and note that it states two VDBv1s, not a VDBv1 and something else. The wiring install for those is different so mixing and matching may not work. I would think youd be better to get two VDBv1s, OR two VBDv2s, OR use your VDBv1 and your VDBv2 but wiring them up separately using the legacy chime with your VDBv2. Make sence?

Good point, that might be the safest approach, I’m going to have to get a new transformer anyway to replace the 10VA that I have connected to the existing chime, so, instead I could get another transformer and wire directly to the VDBv1 to keep it separated from the existing. I’ll try that! Thanks!

1 Like