IFTTT Paywall

But those all require voice commands. I have things built into sunset/sunrise and location based commands. Those won’t work unless I audibly ask the assistant to run them. Right?

1 Like

Best I can tell, none of those services work with Wyze. Right?

2 Likes

No, you can use all of these in the Alexa app.

1 Like

Correct, for Person Detection only, all Alexa routine features are available.

Thanks. That semi-works. I was able to set up sunrise/set routines for lights but Alexa won’t let you do that for plugs. I’ll figure out a workaround in the Wyze app.

The biggest IFTTT recipes I have are location based. Yes Alexa and others have location triggers, but not the war I use them. In the screenshot you can see I use the app Life360 as a trigger. The key is that it won’t fire until ALL of my family members leave. I haven’t found anything else like that. All others only follow my location. Not very helpful for families.

1 Like

Yes, that’s unique to IFTTT! Amazon doesn’t have that. Transitioning from IFTTT to other services will be problematic.

1 Like

IFTTT-Webhooks is only my workaround for lack of direct integration with SmartThings. Are you aware of another way to indirectly connect the two (Wyze & SmartThings) without IFTTT while we wait for direct integration to become available? I have a number of simulated motion sensors in SmartThings which I sync with my Wyze motion sensors and camera motion detection to use with SmartThings Smart Home Monitor, and Webcore sends webhooks requests to turn on and off my Wyze camera notifications based on my disarm/arm status. Not sure what to replace this with yet…

1 Like

I have been using Alexa more and more as the go-between in SmartThings and WYZE. Sometimes I have to get creative with virtual switches and virtual motion sensors. I also use WebCoRE for some more detailed routines.

Thanks for the recommendation! Just took a look at Alexa routines and I can do what I want to do with my dedicated motion sensor, however the cameras only let me use person detection as a trigger unfortunately (want to use any motion).

This also will not help me with using my smartthings location mode via webcore to turn on and off Wyze notifications, but that is just two applets (on/off) and I can fit that in my free three.

Not a problem. You should be able to tell Alexa to treat the plugs as lights.

2 Likes

I stopped using IFTTT when alexa routine integrations were up and running except for a few applets. So what happens if amazon transfers alexa routines to a subscription model :thinking:

I’ve been using IFTTT with Wyze to turn notification on / off depending on presence detection from Home Assistant.

Does anyone know if / how I can accomplish this without IFTTT as a Google Assistant user? Looking at the docs I can’t see any notifications on / off functionality for GA,

And just on the off chance I’ve missed it, any APIs (official or unofficial) we can script against?

I’m sure your employer/customers will be delighted to hear that you are no longer charging for your services and will be declining your salary.

How grotesquely entitled is that statement!

Clean my toilet. Now. For Free. Slave. Be quick about it. And you better smile too.

IFTTT owes you absolutely nothing. Be thankful for what you do get.

Now, Wyze on the other-hand, I’ve sent thousands of dollars over the years, and what I expect from them if I am to continue, is to give me the same kind of connectivity they give to IFTTT, so I can run my own API server at home, or on my own server.

We’ve learned from IFTTT that its kind of dumb to depend on a 3rd party service to do this for free. So let your paying clients do it themselves.

2 Likes

Devil’s advocate - offering a service for “free” (charging companies to integrate) was a business model to attract users. They attracted users that like free stuff. Free is a magical number that has an emotional attachment, more than an economic one.

From a behavioral economics standpoint, they crossed a boundary, becoming a transactional relationship. Moving from free to cheap is a perilous step, regardless of the actual price.

3 Likes

Very well put. Some open source projects are truly charitable offerings, but companies such as IFTTT were always in it for the money, and shouldn’t be treated as kindly granters of benevolent services. If Google started charging for free search, people would have every right to (pointlessly) complain.

1 Like

Hey, genius, IFTTT gets paid by its system partners on a per request basis and a fee for just integrating a company’s products as well. That includes Wyze. So the thousands you’ve dropped on Wyze include money allocated to IFTTT to ensure Wyze devices are supported. So, yes, Wyze and IFTTT owe him something. Not entitled of him to expect functionality guaranteed at time of sale to be preserved.

1 Like

Just curious how many cameras do you have? To have spent “thousands” with a 3 year old company that until very recently only had a 30 high price would imply you have a few hundred cameras?

Anyway good luck with that approach. Wyze still integrates with IFTTT just like always. The party that has changed its terms is IFTTT not Wyze. And I see nothing in IFTTT terms of service that promises service to the consumer will forever be free. Do you?

For that matter the existing terms of service of both Wyze and IFTTT do not even promise you the use of either service indefinitely. Both reserve the right to change/amend or cancel such service at any time.

1 Like

I wouldn’t have a problem with that if they didn’t already charge Developers around $200 just to be able to develop an integration for them. As it is, I have been trying to switch to internal methods anyway.

Currently I’m using an Android app called TinyCam which can send out it’s own webhooks directly from the app (not cloud) to a server of your choice. (Hubitat, Home Assistant, Etc. ) From there, you setup how it deals with the webhooks for detection of Motion/Person/Face/Vehicle/Pet. Although i haven’t really seen the pet one work, it detects my dog as a person… or maybe it’s not supposed to differentiate…

Either way, with this approach, all of the triggering is handled locally by the TinyCam app, and the automation is handled by whatever automation server you have.

1 Like

Yep, it’s a fairly well known solution. For Android folks mainly. And there are others like using the Wyze plugin for Homebridge.

But as SmartThings users found out and now IFTTT users are finding out vendors need a revenue stream to pay for those “free” services. Heck even Wyze is looking to monetize revenue streams.

The 200 per vendor does not actually go all that far when you consider the user base. Cloud processing is transaction based and therefor the bigger your user base the larger your costs.