How about a Wyze "SimpleCam"?

Dear Wyze,

I have a request. Could you please introduce a “Wyze SimpleCam”?

I’m never going to have a “Smart Home”. I’m never going to want a smart scale, smart lock, a smart band, etc. What I DO want is a camera(s) that shows me what’s going on in and around my house – that’s all.

I want to be able to have a bunch of Wyze Cams that don’t do anything but show me what it sees. Over the past few months, I’ve noticed that my cameras disconnect and re-connect, go off-line, need restarted, etc. I wonder if it’s because of all the “smart stuff” that’s getting added to the firmware. The cameras don’t seem to be as stable and dependable as they used to be.

Don’t get me wrong, you can keep on adding all the Smart Stuff you want… BUT, how about a camera for us folks who just want a CAMERA. Please?

Thanks!

3 Likes

That’s a pretty simple, and valid, wish. Growing usually comes with problems and Wyze is undeniably growing.
If all you want is a simpler cam, you might want to look at flashing your Firmware to either RTSP or Webcam. You lose some of the nicer features of the app, but with the right third-party software they can provide a good, simple and reliable cam. I have experimented with both and had good results. I wound up flashing back to current FW, which was simple and worked well also.
Here are some links with info on both:
Webcam
RTSP
Best of luck and keep us posted!

1 Like

right now each of my camera has a on/off power switch so that i can power cycling easily

some with a broadlink smart plug so that i can power cycle remotely

it is frustrating that camera offline when u need the most, such as on vacation

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, tomp! I appreciate it.

1 Like

I understand. Right now, I have a camera in my garage that usually works flawlessly. But, this morning I got the ol’ “The Device is Offline” message. I unplugged it the camera (Wyze V2), waited for a minute, plugged it back in… I still have the message and I’m still not getting video from the camera. When this has happened in the past, and I can’t get the camera to come back online, I just wait it out… 2 or three days later. Then, like out of nowhere, there it is - video is back, good for another month or so. I can’t figure out why it happens, but it happens.

1 Like