Home Assistant Integration

He decided to remove support for v1 sensors. I recalled there is closed issue for that.

That’s good to know v1 motion is working.
I have 10+ v1 contact sensors :frowning:

I am going to setup 1 V1 contact sensor and see what happens with mine. could be difference is out setups.

So I tested with an old V1 Contact Sensor Connected to my Wyze Sense Hub V2. It worked for me.

Here it is closed:

Here it is open:

@carverofchoice , do you have your V1 sensor connected to the V1 Bridge or V2 Hub? We have also figured out that sometimes you need to restart HA to get the new sensors to work.

1 Like

Dude they already announced it’s not coming. Everybody can stop voting or caring. The community is taking care of it now.

This will all be mute once they are fully engaged in the Matters effort. They already announced that they are taking part in it.

But now that there is a method to be used with HA, I can now have a Dashboard dedicated to Wyze.

What is v2 hub? I don’t see it here Home Monitoring & Automation – Wyze

I purchased the HMS from wyze. it comes with the new V2 products. Once I got it in, I attached all of my V1 sensors to the new hub and have removed the V1 Bridge.

You can get the HMS to take advantage if the V2 sensors and hub. You can pay month to month or one year of service for the security part. but you can cancel at anytime.

Here is a picture.

2 Likes

Thanks for the information. I have Ring for monitoring already.

All my V1’s are connected to the V2 Hub. After reading your post, I decided to check the Wyze app for those same V1 sensors in my office, and the Wyze app wasn’t updating their status correctly on the Wyze App home page either, but their rules were working correctly when I opened and closed the sensor. Weird that the rules were working, but not their status on the home page. So I checked other V1 sensors, and you’re right, at least some of the V1 sensors ARE updating their state/status to open.

I rebooted Home Assistant again (from the GUI) and everything says it’s unavailable.

Tried a few more times and it’s all the same.

Finally tried a full shut down of the virtual machine and reloaded it and everything including the V1 sensors were all working correctly again, though I think the reboot was just a coincidence because everything also started working correctly in the Wyze App again at the same time. So weird, must’ve been a temporary Wyze issue since it was happening in the official app too. Regardless, everything, including all my V1 sensors are working correctly in Home Assistant with the correct state/status. I guess Joshua did add support for them after all. I can’t remember if I installed the latest beta version of his or the production version, but mine has the V1 sensors working anyway.

2 Likes

Yea I was on the Wyze Lock part of his integration. He’s done some good work. We figured I’d set him up a fund so he can buy whatever parts he needs with extra. And it’s been getting better. Only peroblem is it’s an unofficial API and Wyze could change or remove it at any time. Maybe they’ll find someway to fold it into HA

3 Likes

How quick are the sensor updates? One of the issue I couldn’t deal with is how slow v1 hub was when connected via official Wyze Cam/App.

It all depends as I am still testing and figuring things out. I am relatively new to HA, so need to work things out.

So far from my testing, when I tap on a bulb the light seems to go on immediately.

Motion and contact Sensors seem to be a slower but at this time, not too slow. It does tie to Wyze so I expect the same latency you would get from the native app. On average I am seeing sub second response time, but on occasion I see a little longer delays, seems to correspond when wyze is delayed as well.

This whole setup cost me nothing as I already had a Nas device which I could run a Docker App in. There is a Docker App for HA. So aside from setting it up and testing, I have $0 invested, just time.

I am still in the figuring things out phase, but like the idea of having a Dashboard again which can be used on any browser.

Here is a sample of what I created:
Screenshot 2021-06-13 5.56.29 PM

It also works with the Wyze Security System and, from what I understand, the Wyze Lock as well.

1 Like

@spamoni Which version of the Wyze package are you using in HACS. The version that I was using stopped working so I upgraded only to find out that V1 sensor support was dropped. I tried downgrading however sensors still not showing. I am running HA OS 6 and the latest version of Core and Supervisor

I am using the one from Joshua, this is the link: GitHub - JoshuaMulliken/ha-wyzeapi: Home Assistant Integration for Wyze devices.

Just installed this and seems like it works well for my lights and plugs. Brings new life to some gear I’ve been letting collect dust!

2 Likes

Yea, this provides us with many options now.

In my experience, Wyze is fairly pragmatic. As long as they continue to experience no negative effects from this, they will allow it. TinyCamPro is good example we can look to. They are also an unofficial Wyze API hack, but Wyze has allowed it for years without trying to interfere or stop it. Wyze doesn’t cater to them at all though, and sometimes they make changes that require TCP to do big updates, but they aren’t actively trying to make things hard or stop it.

Honestly, I think it’s in Wyze’s best interest to allow it. It will help expand their market and profits a little and improve people’s satisfaction and having more options and integration with pretty much zero downside. It would take effort to prevent it, and would cost them money and anger customers with no gain. Plus, someone else is figuring out the integration for them and making it open source, so whenever they want they can basically just copy it, make a few alterations and make it official with hardly any overhead costs. It’s a no brainer for them to let it continue…only someone with severe control issues and ego would try to stop it.

As long as the above remain true (benefits with no downside), I suspect they’ll continue to “allow it” just like they do for TinyCam Pro. In fact, the only reason I chose Wyze Cams instead of another cheap camera was because it was so highly supported by TinyCam. Because they allowed TinyCam to support them, they have made a ton of money off me, and I rarely even use TinyCam anymore, it just worked as a funnel to turn me into a big Wyze collector. They’d be completely stupid to actively interfere…though the API could break unintentionally as they simply do their own thing without worrying about how 3rd parties are affected (changing protocols or whatever to better suit their own needs)…that’s the real concern…future unintentional problems.

2 Likes

Same reason I started switching out to other brands. Is V1 supported again?

The concern for these kind of projects is less about manufacturers interfering intentionally, because that tends to be pretty uncommon, and more about the fact that they may abruptly change the API for their own needs for their own apps and offerings, and because it’s not official, they have zero weight on them to notify people about changes.

1 Like