Google Assistant can now open and close Garage Doors!

i think the problem with “closing” the garage door is that the camera has a few minutes before it rereads the qr code so when you ask to close the door quickly after opening it the sensor hasn’t read the qr to see it missing…so…if you just ask it to “open” the door again (even tho your closing it) it will close the door.
hope this gets fixed.

Interesting – I never noticed a delay needed before I could operate the door again. You had me curious enough to go back to my garage to try it out. Using Google Assistant, I said, “Open garage door one”, it responded with “can I have your code?”, I replied with the code and the door opened. I immediately started up Assistant again and said “Close garage door one” – I got the warning tones and flashing lights and the door closed. To be sure, I opened and closed the door this way 3 times back to back with no delay in between. I then tried in on my other garage door (“garage door two”) and got the same results. It worked every time with no needed wait time.

I’m not challenging your experience, but seeing if I could duplicate it. I’m convinced something else is causing your issues with the GDC, Some thoughts about troubleshooting (and I apologize in advance if these questions are redundant are already answered):

1. Is the firmware in both the camera and the garage door closer up to date? (under Settings / Device Info)
  2. Have you tried “Restarting” the camera? (Settings / Restart Camera)
  3. What do you have Night Vision set to? Mine is set to “Dark”
  4. What do you have Night Vision IR Lights set to? Mine are set to “Far”
  5. What do you have Trigger Duration set to? (Accessories / Garage Door Controller / Trigger Duration) - Mine is set to 2 seconds - that simulates a 2 sec press of the manual door open button
  6. Where is your QR code on the door? Mine is about 3/4 of the way up from the floor.
  7. How far is your GDC / camera from the QR code? Mine is on the ceiling, about 10 or 12 feet from the QR code

Apologies if this is redundant or tedious – just trying to imagine what’s causing your bad experience with this.

no worres…i just check

1. i restarted it so ill check when i get home to see if that helps
    2…yes dark and far
  2. 2 seconds
  3. qr code is near the top …one question…there is a red square around the qr code when i check my cam…is this telling me it can’t read it hence red? or should it be green …like green i can see AND read it?
  4. my cam is on the bottom of the opener so however far that would be…

thanks!

1 Like

Something I noticed this morning. I have both Google and Alexa and both fail to close the door after I pull in. So I either close it with the wall button or I use the Wyze app. Now, the error I usually got was that the door was already closed/locked. This morning, I used Google to open, pulled in, Google tells me that the door is locked so I pull up the Wyze app and I notice IT showed the door status as closed. This camera/controller is at the top of my list, so I swiped down, it did a refresh, and viola, the door is now listed as open. “Hey Google, close garage door” AND it did. I think perhaps the Wyze app isn’t updating the status of the door in a timely manner and therefore the assistant voice apps see it’s status. Did a little experiment. Opened the door with the wall button. Waited about 5 minutes. Checked and Wyze app still said closed. “Hey Google, open garage door”, asked for PIN, sent a signal and the controller beeped and lit up a few times and the door closed. Alexa behaved the same way pretty much. These two “assistants” are not getting timely and correct status from the Wyze Home link, it isn’t updating itself! Need to fix this Wyze.

exactly…need quicker updates to tell cam it’s open or closed?
but…i’m assuming since it hasn’t been announced yet that opening and closing with google is still in beta so assuming they know this issues and will finally fix and release stable app?
i just tell google to open the door and then tell it to open it again to actually close it…which is fine for now???

Definitely the Wyze app not updating. Went for a drive this afternoon. I used Alexa this time to open the door. Brought a tablet with me so I could have the Wyze app open and watch it in real time, while I did my other stuff on my phone (Dash cam, shut off lights, TRY to close the door…). Had to drill down to the garage door camera/controller level and back out twice before it refreshed the home screen. Status would not change until the thumbnail on the home screen changed to show the open door. This is unacceptable. Looks like I got another paperweight. I’ll be replacing this thing.

i know google is in beta but does this happen to the alexa people bc that’s been live for a month or two so far?
not the end of the world to tell google to “open” the garage door twice? it still works just not as intended?

I’m still bewildered by the difference in your experience and mine. I’ve got two of the GDC / camera combos installed on my two garage doors. Good strong WiFi. Pixel 6 Pro. Android 13 (worked fine with 12 too). Wyze app. Works perfectly by voice or app, first time, no need to wait after opening or closing - responds instantly. Something’s got to be different!

worked fine at first…something changed…not sure what is or was but it still works…
maybe when i get my pixel 7 this fall that might help? still onthe pixel 3

when i check my garage door the qr code is “bordered” in red like the qr code is being read…is yours like that?

looks like its works again…open opens it…close closes it…good to go…for now.

1 Like

Good to see this. Mine is still fine - hopefully yours stays as stable now as mine has been. Nice features to have!

its been good for a while now

1 Like

I recently learned I can use Android Auto/Google Assistant in combination with my Wyze Garage Door Controller. In the car I asked Goggle “Open the garage door,” and it replies, “what’s your PIN,” to which I gave the 4 digit PIN and the garage door opened! I next said “close the garage door,” and it closed (no PIN required). I now use that each time I arrive home. Brilliant!