Fix-It Friday - April 2024

Right now, I’m thinking that the pipeline of new V3 cameras that are being sold are all faulty. If that’s the case then getting a new one is not going to help.

I bought 4 Wyze V3 cameras from Costco in 2024 and 3 of the 4 still have the same problem I have posted about many times. When viewing an event, if you click the “Playback” button the error “MicroSD Card Not Found”. Previous versions of the app had a greyed out playback button. I use both Android and iOS and the latest versions of the apps. This problem has not been fixed.

1 Like

It is a gamble. A friend had a buggy cam, sent it back and ordered two more.

He got lucky with two good V3s.

When and where did your friend get the buggy cams (V3’s)

Amazon, two weeks ago.

Thanks, I’d like to take a chance but I bought 2 from Amazon in the last week and both were bad with the SD card issue. Still at a loss as to what to do next.

1 Like

In trying to troubleshoot the Error When clicking on microSD from the Event Tab it says there is no microSD installed I manually flashed my problem v3 back to firmware 4.36.11.7071. I used a 32GB Micro SD card formatted in FAT32. I did a Full Format in Windows 11. I moved the BIN file to the root of the SD card and inserted the card into the v3. Once firmware 4.36.11.7071 was up and running, I ejected the SD card and re-inserted the card and formatted it again this time within the App then did a in App firmware update to get to 4.36.11.7095. I then ejected the SD card again and re-inserted the card and formatted it again and did a firmware update within the App to get to 4.36.11.8391.

On each firmware version I tried the Event Playback button and still received the no SD card error. I am beginning to think the bug is in recent versions of the App causing newly setup v3 cameras to have this issue.

I am Tagging @WyzeJasonJ so he has my observations and hopefully it is helpful in tracking down this bug.

2 Likes

@StevenA @WyzeJasonJ
Nice work Stephen. Hope this helps get resolution to this problem. Still waiting for an update on progress by the Wyze team.

1 Like

I am wondering if App versions including and after December 2023 release of 2.48 have the SD card Playback bug. Seems like the App is trying to sell us SD cards when we click on the Events Playback button. Could be coding in the App on how the App detects an installed SD card. Here is the App release notes from December 2023.

“ Improved the UI for the in-app purchase page”

I am Tagging @WyzeJasonJ on this post too.

2 Likes

I don’t know why that would be the case, but I wonder if you may be onto something.

I don’t have an explanation for this behavior (neither Playback button that refuses to recognize and play back from the microSD card nor the transient “Failed to load…” message), but I can say that the camera with the “Failed to load…” message that actually does play back from microSD was set up sometime last year, and the camera that gives the “Unable to View Playback” message was set up much more recently.

Strong work, @StevenA!

It is a gamble. Glad Amazon’s return policy is so easy.

Running on v2.50.2 with no issues.

@ WyzeJasonJ
@StevenA
@grapefruityoda

Can we please get updates and guidance from Wyze on this matter. Can I buy my way out of this dilemma by purchasing a new V3 or will the new V3 have the same problem ?
I keep asking but am not getting any help.

1 Like

It’s unlikely anyone will have an answer for you quickly. I’m guessing this will take at least several weeks or months before this issue might get resolved. If you can’t wait, then just buy your way out via Amazon if you must get V3 cameras.

The old Floodlight V1 audio playback issue took exactly 1 year to fix. That is after the community pinpointed exactly which firmware started to cause the issue with several dozens of Log IDs. We tested practically every single firmware available. We finally got the attention of a Wyze developer in Jan 2024 and the beta firmware was finally released in April 2024. Although the beta firmware finally fixed the audio playback issue for the Floodlight, it introduced a new behavior lol.

Wondering if this issue has made the punch list, it seems like a few folks are experiencing it (myself included):

@StevenA With this in mind, I installed Android APK version 2.47.0.373 from November 15, 2023 and factory reset one of my faulty V3’s. I went through the initial setup and tested again, but now the “Playback” button is grayed out when attempting to view from an event. Viewing SD card content from the “Live” view still works fine. The multiple V3’s I own that have this issue all have a “gray” Playback button, whereas the one functional V3 I have still functions perfectly even on this older app version.

I wonder if this helps rule out the App version theory and points more towards hardware…?

Thinking about it now, this is odd because the firmware notes for 4.36.11.8391 state “App versions lower than 2.48 can’t connect to this firmware due to the app and firmware security improvements” yet my app version is now v2.47.0 (373) and I’m not facing any issues connecting to the camera.

@WyzeJasonJ

1 Like

You beat me to the older APK test. That was going to be my next troubleshooting test. Thanks for sharing your results.

@khsfdhkjfsd, welcome to the Forum! If you read a few posts down in the topic where you quoted me, I wrote this:

Keep your :eyes: out for a new topic from @WyzeJasonJ later this week to help Wyze prioritize May’s issues. Once that’s on the board, please post your own experience and/or give a :heart: vote to posts on that topic that describe your issue(s).

@JDefense & @StevenA, I understand what you’re both saying, and I appreciate your troubleshooting efforts! Thank you for testing and posting your results here. Going back to @StevenA’s earlier hypothesis about the timing issue, I was just looking at the Activation Dates for my two Cam Pan v3s (:gear: Settings > Device Info > Activation Date), and I see this:

• 01/29/2024 :point_left: gives the “Unable to View Playback” error.
  • 03/05/2023 :point_left: gives the transient message “Failed to load from local storage.”

That makes me wonder if there really might be some substance to the idea that when a camera was first set up might have something to do with the nature of the problem. Of course, as @JDefense says, it could also be a hardware (time of manufacture) issue. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

You could be onto something.

Is there a hardware version number, batch number or date we can track?

Even though the connection between this downgraded app version and the latest V3 firmware worked fine, I wanted to rule out the “App versions lower than 2.48 can’t connect to this firmware due to the app and firmware security improvements” statement. I downgraded the faulty V3’s firmware to 4.36.11.7071 (the latest available on the website) and the “gray” Playback button issue that I described earlier still persists.

In both scenarios, the issue persists. Looking forward to an update from Wyze. @WyzeJasonJ

@ssummerlin Unfortunately I don’t see any hardware version identifiers on my cameras or their boxes. The only thing I do notice is that all my problem-some cams are advertised to come with the “3 month included Cam Plus” subscription titled “WYZEC3CP3”, but I never activated this. Maybe somebody else sees something I do not…