Fix-It Friday 4/1/22

Hi, everyone!

Welcome to this week’s Fix-It Friday follow-up! We have a new batch of top issues reported by our various communities for us to chase down. But first, we saw some feature/product requests in the batch of comments again. We want to make sure that we keep these events focused on bug fixes only so we won’t be replying to the feature requests in these updates anymore. Please remember to vote for or submit feature and product requests in our official Wishlist at Wishlist - Wyze Forum.

Now let’s get started with this month’s Fix-It Friday batch! :grin:

Core - services.wyze.com login doesn’t work on iPhone or Safari on Mac. The login link doesn’t take you to the login page :computer:

Could you please give us more information about this one? We informed the team about this but we’d like to know things like where you’re accessing the page from, where you are finding the login link that doesn’t take you to the login page, and where you find yourself after logging in.

Core - Volume on Wyze Cam v3 Events is extremely low :ear:

We’re doing internal tests for this across different operating systems. Thank you for reporting it!

Forum - When using Wyze Sense Motion Sensor, the Wyze Sense Hub, and routines with Alexa, “clear for X time” does not execute a trigger :woman:

For this one, we would love to have a log and hub firmware version so we can look into it. Please recreate the issue and then send in a log that includes the date, time, and time zone of the trigger failure as well as a detailed description of your routine and which parts worked versus didn’t work. Please post the log number here when you have it so we can send it to the team!

Reddit - After a modem/router reboot, devices like Wyze Cam v3 and Wyze Video Doorbell don’t reconnect on their own for days when other devices perform as expected :camera:

The Wyze Cam v3 portion is a known issue. We have a larger firmware redesign coming later for Wyze Cam v3 that will include the fix that we’ve already prepared. We’ll follow up to make sure Wyze Video Doorbell gets this fix as well.

Discord - AI detection is identifying still objects in-frame when regular motion is detected :oncoming_automobile:

We are already working on moving object detection! But this is a very large undertaking that will take place over the coming months. We’ll provide updates when we have them. In the meantime, you may want to try using motion detection zones to narrow the detection area or turn off a specific AI detection type if you want to reduce your unwanted notifications.

Discord - Slow Alexa announcement of Person Detected from outdoor cameras :walking_man:

We told the team about this and we’ll be following up. We’ll let you know if we have any questions as we work on this report.

Let’s Take a Look at Some Previous Submissions

Wyze Sense Hub firmware 4.32.8.213 causes issues with Rules and notifications or frequent rebooting :mechanic:

Tunes will be fixed in an upcoming firmware update! And we are continuing to triage the remaining issues. We’ll be requesting some specific rebooting Wyze Sense Hubs back as a return/replace so we can get a hands-on look at what happened with the hub.

Wizard chat ends when navigating to the main app page :speaking_head:

We’re still holding off on starting the SMS support test until our support volume goes back to more manageable levels and we’re confident we can adequately staff the test and get good data. Our support levels are still significantly higher than usual but we are seeing a reduction that keeps us confident about starting the test in mid-April. We’ll keep you posted!

Wyze Plug 2021 (Certified For Humans) version going offline :electric_plug:

We’ll be releasing new beta firmware on Wednesday to address this. If we don’t find blocking issues with it, we’ll release this version to the public after testing. Thank you for your patience!

Wyze Bulb Color has random color changes :bulb:

We haven’t received any logs displaying this. So far, all of our logs are displaying correct behavior and we haven’t been hearing more about this since we started talking about it in these updates. Because of this, we’re going to give this one more callout but will remove it from future follow-ups if we don’t hear from impacted people. Here’s the log request again!

We’re looking into this and discussing it with the PM. If you could send in logs after experiencing this, we’d really appreciate the help! This is a possible firmware issue and we have one employee that experienced something that may be this issue. She was able to fix it by resetting the bulb but please send a log through Account > Wyze Support > Submit a Log first! Then please post that log number here.

Event recording turning itself off :eyes:

Last call for this one, too! We haven’t been hearing about it in a while. If we don’t hear back about the recording setting turning itself off, we’ll remove it from the future follow-ups. Here’s the call for information one last time:

Could you please tell us which app version this is happening on? We’d like to dig into this but will need more information. It’s probably a good idea to recreate this and send in a log through Account > Wyze Support > Submit a Log while you’re at it. Best results happen if you post the log numbers here so we can report them together with your description.

Slow loading for Wyze Cam Outdoor :snail:

We released a fix to the public for this in version 4.17.4.124 and it looks like this did the trick! We are removing this entry from our updates.

Alright! That wraps it up for this week’s Fix-It Friday follow-up! We look forward to working through the bugs that bug ya and letting you know how it’s going throughout the rest of the month.

See ya later! :wave:

(Did the emojis add anything? I took a leaf from Jimmy’s book because I was concerned that this looked like a daunting block of text otherwise.)

3 Likes

@WyzeGwendolyn, thanks for the update!

Clarification please… Am I to assume that because the issue I submitted was not included in the update that it is infact a feature request and that the developers have intentionally disabled access to playback from Events launched from notifications?

If so, can I get an @Mods assist to teleport my post over to the wishlist.

Thanks.

Home Automation Hub Dedicated for Sensors not associated to Home Monitoring Services
Problem: A Clear Motion for X minutes Trigger does not execute turning off a 3rd party light switch Using the Wyze V2 Motion Sensor Associated to the Wyze Sense Hub with Alexa Routines.
Wyze Sense Hub Firmware: 4.32.2.127
Log ID: 530884
Date: 4/5/2022
Time: between 1832 ET and 1915 ET

1 Like

I think it is a coincidence. This exact same thing happened to me a few weeks ago with the Wyze Alexa Skill. I re-authenticated and everything was fine. I saw the same thing from a few others before me too. So it seems like since it didn’t happen to everyone all at once it was based on time of previous authentication or something.

1 Like

I believe your submission is definitely a bug, not a feature request. I can’t say for certain why your issue wasn’t included in this Fix It Friday report, maybe the other one had more votes temporarily whenever they checked it (long before the response happened)…or perhaps there’s another reason they’re giving the other one priority for now (perceived as more critical functionality in some way), or some kind of triage prioritizing. I’m just guessing. But what you are asking for shouldn’t be a wishlist item (feature request) in my opinion, it is well demonstrated to be a bug where it is not performing as was intended or designed.

Keep in mind that while they usually only pick one or 2 Fix It Friday submissions to report on, publicly, they have frequently addressed and fixed several others that were also submitted even though they didn’t include them for a public report, so it is possible someone will still look into it (and hopefully they do).

I think you gave a great example with clear documentation and pictures showing a worthy bug submission :+1: I guess only Gwendolyn can fully answer your question, but you did find and make a great submission IMO.

2 Likes

There has to be a better way to log these bugs and issues thru a reportable tracking system that can publish clear receipt, acknowledgement, decision, status, and outcome.

Back in the day (15 ya) we had an IT\IS Support System Tracker that would publish every submitted ticket issue\bug\problem into a web accessible chronological report showing all of this. We had gatekeepers who reviewed every ticket, triaged, and categorized. Similar tickets were grouped into the same header together under whatever hardware\software category they fit into. Any system user could view any ticket or issue header to see what the current status was, read the update notes, see the aging progression, see if it was closed, still open, referred etc. It could be filtered by OS, platform, program, hardware, equipment, status, age, location etc. If it was an isolated user issue it got kicked back by the gatekeeper for local tech support, but if it was a system issue, it got logged and referred to the proper team lead for action and updating. But, it’s main function was to keep the users informed and not in the dark. It also helped our teams focus on fixing and not constant user chatter looking for updates and questioning status.

While this Fix it Friday system is an improvement to get issues voiced, it has to be a nightmare to manage on the Wyze side. I know from this end there are more questions than answers. Having a reportable tracker would also solve the questions of which issues make the cut and which ones don’t.

Just one has-been’s opinion.

Thanks for the reply!

3 Likes

Am I the only one having issues with my eight WCO’s in two groups? This bug didn’t get any mention by @WyzeGwendolyn

I still can’t view WCO’s unless they are NOT in a group.

thanks
SJ

1 Like

Thanks for the tag! I agree with @carverofchoice that it wouldn’t be a wishlist request, because the function or feature is there, it’s just not working right. If there was not any button or no way to warp to playback, then that would be a wishlist style item to implement it. Carver has I believe a good explanation (like always :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Agreed this is still a problem and a very annoying one at that. I never had this issue before the latest firmware update. Whatever they changed to make it load in faster seems like it has conflicting performance when a group is involved.

1 Like

One more for good measure

Home Automation Hub Dedicated for Sensors not associated to Home Monitoring Services
Problem: A Clear Motion for X minutes Trigger does not execute turning off a 3rd party light switch Using the Wyze V2 Motion Sensor Associated to the Wyze Sense Hub with Alexa Routines.
Wyze Sense Hub Firmware: 4.32.2.127
Log ID: 531644
Date: 4/6/2022
Time: between 0757 ET and 0835 ET

Alexa Routine in question

V2 motion sensor last detected motion at 0757 ET

After room was clear for 30 minutes, the routine never triggered the light switch off and fan off commands.

1 Like

@WyzeGwendolyn as expected, you did not even mention the feature we shall not name or even mention my one request just to fix the bare minimum we are asking for - adding that missing Back button here.

Why?

2 reasons:

1. They try to limit it to addressing only 1 bug…(but will sometimes make an exception for 2 bugs) per platform, usually the most voted on bug, but possibly (I’m assuming) slightly based on severity in some cases. This time they picked the one about the sensor clear for X time which had more votes and was interfering with some people’s critical automations. If they had picked a second one it almost definitely would’ve been SlabSlayer’s event playback linking bug since it was highly voted on, and even that one was not addressed, so it really is nothing personal.

2. I think the issue you presented is being viewed as a feature request instead of a bug. Currently I can view a group of cams in landscape, and then hit back (on Android) and it does function to go back as expected, but pressing back puts me back into portrait view. I don’t think this is considered a bug though, so even if it had the most votes, I think there is a high likelihood they wouldn’t have addressed it since they told us they would no longer address any feature requests as part of fix it friday and that we should continue to address them in the wishlist (and things like fireside or AMA events where they will sometimes talk about or respond to feature requests):

If it isn’t already a wishlist item, you could create it, and I am sure lots of people would happily vote on it since lots of us would love landscape improvements, including for this. Also, you can have someone bring it up in chats at the fireside events or the Ask Me Anything (AMA) events they do throughout the year. Those are places where I have had success getting responses about features I want.

I think this is where we would disagree on the definition.

To give the story, I did once ask Support about this bug, and was directed to the forums and its wishlist instead. Not even considering that as a bug. I did post my “wish” and it was pretty much quickly lumped into the monstrous and old Lanscape View for Tablets subject, therefore totally diluted.

I can’t agree that is not a bug. It is an obvious missing feature that we are expecting to have.
And to comment on your note “the Back button exists on Android and is working”, I would disagree, as the Android Back button here do not ACTUALLY go back… just switch the display of the camera group to portrait… which is useless (tested on my Samsung S21 phone), as the sensor is still telling the app “He! I am in landscape mode”, and the display turn back pretty instantly to landscape, faster than you can react to click the back button that is strangely exist in that mode. That is a bug as well? It does not help at all here…

So, it is a bug to me as it is impairing my way of using the app - and I am not talking about the fact most of the UI is locked into portrait mode. Just that one missing button,
So be sure I will keep reporting it as such each and every Fix-it Friday until it is fixed or I am fed up and move to another camera system - which would be a shame, the product is good, it is only affected by an insufficient work made on the front-end app of it.

1 Like

I can see where you are coming from, and from a certain point of view I can understand it in the context of a bug as you are explaining instead of as a feature.

In one of the Fix-It-Fridays they did indicate they were looking into some app design improvements, so hopefully that is something that will be addressed as they go through it. I am usually active in their AMA events, so the next time one comes around, if you remind me I will be happy to bring it up there (unless you do it yourself of course). I am always supportive of such improvements. :+1:

When is that AMA event expected to be next (roughly) ?
I will attempt to make my case here or remind you, depending if I can make it or not.

And we obviously have 2 distinct situation to consider here – the Android Back button that is not going back, and the fact on Apple device, there is no such thing to rely on in the first place…

I am not sure when the next one will be, they usually tell us like 1-4 weeks in advance and they often do them on Reddit or Youtube, and they do a “Live Fireside” on Discord once in a while and will answer some questions too. Reddit AMA’s seem to be the most effective for getting answers about feature requests. They’ll usually post a notice in the forum when they’re going to do one so we’ll just have to keep an eye out. They happen a few times per year usually.

1 Like

Briefly, V3 cameras send notifications for movement outside of the detection zones - like WAY outside of the zones! Annoying! Any suggestions (besides disabling notifications)?

Turn on motion tagging and on next trigger go to the event. Whatever triggered the alert should be highlighted with a yellow box round it

Oh, I had motion tagging on. It helped confirm just how far outside of the detection zone the motion was!!

Do they normally occur during ‘normal business hours’, when most folks are at work? If so, perhaps they can do one of these events on a Saturday, or after 6pm PST to allow the EST folks a 9pm time?

I’d love to participate.

SJ

1 Like