Experience comfort in every room with Wyze Room Sensor - 5/3/22

Unfortunately their wording is bad marketing. It does not eliminate temp differentials room to room and does not switch the real temp sensor to one of the sensors.

From Jason’s post above, the heat to\cool to setting can react to the Thermostat real temp only or to an average of the Thermostat and included sensors, but not to single remote room sensor only.

So, if it is 70 on the main floor T-stat, and 74 on the second floor sensor, the Thermostat will think it’s really 72 and react to your preset preferences using that number.

4 Likes

The bad marketing is clearly to maintain sync with
the bad product design.

I just got the email for the Wyxe Room Sensor. I do have a thermostat and was initially very interested. However, since my phone doesn’t have motor controlled vents, I cannot see how a thermostat in other rooms will cause the heating unit to heat up only specific rooms (versus heating the whole house).

Is it just me, or is there not enough literature about this in the post/add that explains how only specific parts of the house will be cooled/heated.

I was even thinking that Wyze was going to see the vents which would open / close (or state which had to be purchased; being compatible with the Wyze system).

2 Likes

I am not sure how standard the size of vents are, but when I first saw the Wyze Room Sensor (with the bullet of “ADJUST the temperature of different rooms”; I immediately thought that the sensor would be sold with a damper. How else would they ‘adjust’ the temp in that room.

3 Likes

Agreed. This cannot control room temps individually without the underlying mechanical infrastructure to do so. It can only change the true temp sensor reading to a different area of the house while it continues to heat or cool the whole house.

However, there is some conflicting information out there as to if the thermostat can react to an individual room sensor rather than the T-stat temp sensor or an average:

This post claims that it will.

I am going to wait until I get mine delivered and then post about the experience.

1 Like

Great reading here! Thanks @carverofchoice!

4 Likes

The only way this mystery will get cleared up is for someone to report their experience with it. So I for one would appreciate your sharing what you find.

1 Like

I actually got mine, and of course, it won’t connect via bluetooth.

(a) Is it close enough to the thermostat?
It’s literally touching the thermostat - I hope that counts.
(b) Did you short push the magic button?
Yes. Of course.
(c) Are the batteries good?
They’re brand new.

I’m thinking the problem is that it self identifies as a flower pot.

3 Likes

Might be the same requirements as the T-Stat. Have to have BT, WiFi and GPS on @ the phone to signal the mothership?

:frowning: Just checked. Mine won’t be here for a while. Stuck somewhere in FedEx Purgatory.

1 Like

So buy 25 remote sensors and keep them all in the same room. That way the physical thermostat sensor disappears in the average

1 Like

Jury still out for mine as well. Of the 3-pack: 1st connected immediately; 2nd took a couple of attempts; 3rd still not connecting after about a dozen attempts (including removing the batteries and restarting from the beginning).

1 Like

Found a solution… Removed batteries from the sensor. Then, removed the thermostat from the wall for about 30 secs (to ensure it reset). Re-installed thermostat. Then added the batteries and installed sensor anew. Thermostat and sensor appear to be connected.

1 Like

You, sir, are an Official Home Automation Genius!!

Thank you!! :100: :100: :100:

1 Like

Got mine today. There basically no instructions so I have no idea how to make it use the sensor properly yet. Just wanted to use the sensor during the night to prioritize my bedroom so I’m not sweating while in bed even though my first floor is 68…. If anyone has pro tips I’m all ears.

Here is some instructional material:

https://support.wyze.com/hc/en-us/sections/5700810981787-Wyze-Room-Sensor

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this. This product is boarderline useless if you can’t control heating and cooling based on one sensor…it seems so obvious I want my bedroom to be a temperature so I can sleep I could care less what the other side of the house is at….

3 Likes

I fully agree with that! :slight_smile: That is exactly how I would like to use the sensors too. Exclude the thermostat at night, replacing it with a sensor in my bedroom that doesn’t drop itself because of no motion (as I am under the covers). Unfortunately they only average ATM.

3 Likes

Is there another place we should be voicing our opinion so the devs see it??

1 Like

Just got my sensors.
From what I can tell, the only thing the sensors actually “do” is participate in Comfort Control, by sensing motion and averaging temperature with the thermostat. They can also send an alert if their temperature varies from the thermostat’s.
Is there nothing else that can be done with them? Like averaging temperature, regardless of motion sensing? Or using them to, say, flash a light if they go beyond a specified temperature?

In addition, because the sensors aren’t standalone devices, but rather underneath the thermostat, they’re not able to be used to trigger any rules. Also, Comfort Control is not able to be used in rules either, as a trigger or to be controlled.

The problem is, I’m jewish, and I can’t have motion sensors operating on Shabbat. For the thermostat, I put a small piece of tape over the sensor, and then I just don’t use any of the motion-sensing features. With these room sensors, though, I’m worried that there’s no reason for me to have bought them if I’m not going to use the motion sensing. And worse, I can’t just put a piece of tape over them, because then they’ll do absolutely nothing (excluded from comfort control, they do nothing but let me see the current temperature. In comfort control, they wouldn’t be used by the thermostat because there’s no motion.)

I was hoping that there would be other uses for them, like controlling temperature regardless of motion state, ignoring the thermostat’s temperature, viewing temperature data in an easy-to use dashboard, historical data, etc.
Instead, as of now, all I see myself using them for is to give my thumb a workout, by constantly refreshing the sensors page to see if there’s any change.

2 Likes

This can be done. Select whether you want them on day time schedule (house icon) or sleep schedule (moon icon), then just de-select the “Auto Comfort” toggle. Then it doesn’t consider motion, but it will still use the sensors for considering temperature regardless of motion depending on what you set the priority to be.

No, these don’t have rule triggers at this time. The HMS Climate sensors do all that though.

They’ll work as you’re hoping (balance temperature and ignore the motion sensor), so no worries :+1:

2 Likes