Expand Wyze Watch O2 Reading Capabilities

While Apple might be limiting what it allows Wyze to integrate to HealthKit a great feature improvement would include:
Allow o2 readings to HealthKit
Allow frequent o2 readings as heartbeat can be set to 5 minutes
Allow frequent o2 readings during sleep. This is important for apnea folks like me.
Show o2 results from sleep sessions and high low average.
After only one day with the watch I love it. $20 is unbelievable for this product. Love all my other Wyze products, too.
Thanks for considering this request.

[Mod Edit]: Title Modified to Enhance Search Clarity.

Not only O2 integration but also all other stuff including hours stand readings. I became use to “closing my circles” and it would be neat to have the Wyze watch integrate all these readings as well.

I had to switch back to Apple Watch while the Wyze app gets a few updates on software. Wyze watch is a great device from a value perspective, hope to see some refinement in software coming soon!

3 Likes

If you think it’s a good idea vote for it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Agree with the enhanced SpO2 reading. A drop in your SpO2 is actually a Covid indicator (among other things) and it would be helpful to have regular checks with a low level alarm/notification. Many users may happily sacrifice battery life for this. Hourly checks or multiples of hours should work and allow a compromise to battery life. Every 6 or 12 hours might work for many.

Scratch that. Until the watch can read SpO2 below 95% at the wrist, reporting misleading numbers in the high 90’s on a schedule is pointless.

1 Like

It would be helpful if the Wyze team published the number of hours of battery life equivalent to each pO2 reading; that might explain the lack of continuous pO2 monitoring. I’m 100% sure the devs have this data.

Yes - I find it odd that you can do a heart rate reading every 5-minutes, but can’t do the same for SpO2. That feature should also be for SpO2.

Additionally, there should be an option for how frequently you would like this to happen. Some might only want this info every hour, others every 5.

3 Likes

My bet is that this measurement, using two long-wavelength (near-IR?) LEDs, requires far more power than the light intensity-based HR reading.

In general, such decisions by the developers are based on factual data and component specs and capabilities, not made randomly as some seem to imply…

I personally was curious to check my O2 levels when asleep. We need to be able to set a schedule for the O2 level checks, not just a manual check when buttons are pushed.

3 Likes

…then I, or whomever uses that functionality, would need to charge our watches more. I’m fine with that.

Ditto, that’s one reason I would like to have it auto… to see what it’s like through the day.

up vote on this plan for sure

Every hour, 6 hours, 12 hours or even just once a day. For anyone old enough to remember tracking mpg on a vehicle, that was a great long term indicator that something was up. A chart with timed stats is huge when trying to diagnose anything.

1 Like

I like your idea, with a min. period of, let’s say, 4 or 6 hours between the measurements (it’s 5 min for the auto HR measurement.)

Or, for only $20, one could sacrifice a watch by opening it, sticking a double tape with two metal foil strips in series with a microammeter and record the current drawn by various watch functions. We know the capacity spec, so is it would be trivial to get the number of SpO2 measurements possible to make using a fully charged battery.

Maybe then we’d have fewer complaints about the lack of continuous oxygen tracking… :wink:

How about a frequency setting,and even an alarm if it drops. What are the power demands of checking oxygen saturation? This indeed is good monitor for apnea and covid.

1 Like

The more I read about SpO2 reading in watches, the less I see the need to change anything. From what I can tell, readings on the wrist are not reliable. It’s available on the internet if you just look. The fingertip has many small capillaries that are much better at reflecting the needed light to measure SpO2. Not the wrist. On mornings I’ve had a low SpO2 reading on my pulse/Ox fingertip reader, my watch still says 97-99%. Giving me the option of a bad reading every hour isn’t going to help that. If I take the watch off and manage to get a reading on my fingertip with the watch, it is much closer to my pulse/Ox reader. This is impractical overnight, but may prove useful when I’m out and about. If there is a way to get a better reading at the wrist, then great, but Fitbit and others have pages informing the users of the difficulties reading SpO2 at the wrist. I’m disappointed, but feel better knowing why.

1 Like

Before grabbing my wyze 47 watches, if been playing with a bunch of Chinese knockoffs. Aliexpress, nuff said. These will track O2 Sat periodically, and track patterns, which is relevant in the days of covid. It would even wake you up if you trended down to say 80% to avoid an adrenaline surge response. Sensor in these is " Equipped the Germany OSRAM sensor along with Red light + infrared dual detecting for Blood Oxygen rate SpO2 accurately." And watch lasts for almost 4-5 days. It doesn’t track during the day… maybe because motion can interfere with reading? I asked them for data download, they lied saying it was hard ware. Data shipped to phone, then graphics were generated… anyhow… its my health data, I should be able to download csv. So. Please allow periodic o2 measures, and allow csv download of my health data.

1 Like

Up…

Would be great to be able to set the frequency that the O2 reading would happen, so would be possible to monitor the O2 levels while sleeping, thats the most important for me.

3 Likes

I’m a little annoyed that [SmartThings Integration] a function that would probably take more lines of code than the original watch project is winning, where we are asking WYZE to cut and paste the heart sensor code, switching the heart rate function for the O2 function.
They need to do some triage and choose things that can be easily done.

Yea, that 24/7 O2 monitoring claim intrigued me enough to toss the money for this thing.

I was disappointed to find it only did it on a manual call— not “24/7”-- that’s a fib on the features.

I was not surprised to find readings horribly off (because no one else has gone beyond talking about a watch being able to do it someday)

My intent was to have an SPO2 drop monitor for exercising.

Oh well, I’m back to using this device for that. It’s meant for that overnight thing that some have talked about. I have found that bright light interferes (glove up). It was less than ½ the current price when I bought it – pre-pandemic.

I have been using the SpO2 function for 4 months now and, when the band is properly tightened, have never seen a reading outside of the 97-99% range. However, when on a flight where the normal air pressure of 760 mm Hg is reduced to 570-580 mm Hg, the SpO2 reading was, as expected, ~90%, so the watch is doing just fine, esp. considering its price.

I think the watch is working as designed and at least I don’t have to buy a Samsung phone to see my EKG and SpO2 readings as my wife’s Samsung Galaxy Active 2 watch requires.

The relative lack of capillaries on the dorsal wrist is a hindrance?? Comment from Wyze designers would be helpful. Are there more capillaries on the other side of the wrist? Seems to be some arteries/vessels close to the surface, and the skin is a lot thinner, less tan too. Have jumped over to try an amazfit. They sample the same. Seems like I’m going to have to compare fingertip pulseox to any wristband.