Event recording not working after Internet disconnects

I have a Wyze Cam v2 and found out that the event recording is not working after the cam disconnects from the Internet. It seems like a bug to me. Can the team investigate and fix it? Thank you.

Welcome to the forums! Are you talking about the cloud event recording? That needs an active internet connection to upload the event clip to the cloud and notify you of such with an app notification. These cameras are very internet dependant for their features.

1 Like

Local recording to the uSD card WILL work during an internet outage. However if the camera powers off, it needs an internet connection in order to check in with the Wyze servers after power is turned on in order to do much of anything.

2 Likes

I have a SD card for my cam. I just want to use event recording and save the video clips to the SD card. I don’t want to use any Cloud function. How I can enable such event recording? Thank you.

I think I know what you’re trying to achieve. I’ve been running several v2 and v3 cams standalone with no WiFi/Internet while they record to SD without sending Events to the cloud. Assuming your cam is already set up to your account:

Install SD card.

Place cam where you want.

Ensure your cam will have WiFi/Internet access from somewhere when started up, even if it’s just a WiFi hotspot from your phone.

Connect cam to power.

Wait for cam to boot up.

Start Wyze app.

View cam’s live stream and wait until you no longer see “Getting video data… (3/3)”, you see your preferred video quality setting icon and the data rate (xxx.x KB/s) and the date/time are actively updating on your display.

Then go into the cam’s settings (gear icon, upper right).

Tap Detection Settings and set Motion Detection Sensitivity. This is what triggers an Event recording, whether to the Cloud or SD card. Optionally, set Detection Zone and Sound Detection Sensitivity.

Back up one level and tap Event Recording. This is what enables/disables Event recording to the cloud independent of SD recording. You want both Detects Motion and Detect Sound toggled off.
Screenshot_20210420-040437_Wyze

Back up one level and tap Notifications. Toggle Notifications off. Your cam can’t send Notifications without an Internet connection.

Back up one level and tap Alarm Settings. Toggle both Smoke and CO alarms off. Your cam can’t send Notifications without an Internet connection.

Back up one level and tap Advanced Settings. Don’t tap Local Storage yet. Set all the other options to your liking.

Tap Local Storage. This is what enables/disables recording to the SD card independent of cloud recording. Toggle Local Recording to Micro SD card on. Choose either Record Events Only or Continuous Recording.

Back all the way out to the Home page.

You can now kill the WiFi/Internet connection or leave it connected, but you must leave the power connected to the cam. If the power to the cam is interrupted, your cam will not resume recording.

Do whatever. Get back to your cam’s location. Start up the exact same WiFi/Internet you had before.

You can now either enjoy your recorded video footage or turn the cam off via the app (to prevent corrupting the SD) and move the cam elsewhere.
To review the recorded footage on SD still installed in your cam (you can also pull the card and use a video app like VLC on a computer):

Make sure you have WiFi/Internet at the cam location.

Start up the Wyze app.

View cam’s live stream and wait until you no longer see “Getting video data… (3/3)”, you see your preferred video quality setting icon and the data rate (xxx.x KB/s) and the date/time are actively updating on your display.

Tap the View Playback button at the bottom of your screen.

Let us know if you need help navigating the SD Playback interface.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone. I wonder if both continuous recording and event recording can be enabled together and written to the SD card? I prefer not to use cloud event recording.

Your only options for recording to the SD card are continuous recording or record events only. Continuous is just that and there are no “activity/motion” markers to indicate where an event is. You’ll have to manually scan all footage looking for whatever interests you. Events-only are complete events with no cooldown period thus making the review of footage a little easier because the only footage recorded will be that which was triggered by your detection settings. These SD events are also color-coded on your SD playback timeline and there are back/forward arrows allowing you to easily jump from one recorded event to the next. Try each mode for a few hours and review your SD playback to determine which mode best suits your needs.