If my wifi and internet gets disconnected, will my wyze cam still record detected motion to the SD card?

I’ve had a couple incidents in the past where my wifi or internet would disconnect randomly when I wasn’t at home, so I decided to use an SD card. My concern is, will my wyze cam still record detected motion to the SD card even if my internet is down?

Yes it will – provided the cam had been successfully booted on an Internet-enabled connection.

In other words, the cam will not work if it hasn’t been authorized by the Wyze servers. Once that is done you can remove all WiFi/Internet if you like. SD card recording will continue in whichever mode you have chosen.

Any cloud alert videos that are generated while the connection is down will be lost, however. They will not be buffered. They will work as usual once the connection is restored.

I’m a little confused, so what happens if I pull the power plug on my router and don’t plug it back in, will the wyze cam still record to the SD?

Yes, so long as the camera doesn’t lose power. After that happens, it needs an Internet connection to reboot.

1 Like

@Newshound or anyone else :thinking:

Hey I forgot to ask, but are there any possible examples of a situation where the wyze cam wouldn’t be able to detect motion besides when it loses power? Any that you can think of? I just want to make sure that my cam is working 100% without any sort of hiccups or have some way where somebody can bypass it without being detected. Thanks.

Off the top of my head, it can’t detect motion below the sensitivity threshold you have selected, if it is outside the detection zone you created, if you have switched detection or the camera off, or a scheduled shortcut or IFTTT switches it off.

It can’t report the motion if it doesn’t have an Internet connection, but it should still save it to the card. Finding it on the card will be a challenge if you are in continuous record mode though, so if you expect that to be a normal situation then you should probably record “events only” to the card.

And most importantly, they can just snatch the camera if they see it.

Never did hear how you intend to use the camera, just that you “had a couple incidents in the past where your WiFi or Internet would disconnect randomly”.

1 Like

@Newshound

Thanks

Never did hear how you intend to use the camera, just that you “had a couple incidents in the past where your WiFi or Internet would disconnect randomly”.

For home surveillance. Idk, there were times where I’d come home and the devices that I normally use to view the wyze app wouldn’t auto connect to my wifi, which is strange since they always automatically connect to it. And then when I’d go to check my wyze cam in the app, it would take a long time before I could connect to it (you know, the part where it would show ‘connecting 1/3…’). This was before I had the SD card installed in it. I don’t know if the same will happen with the SD card, but I can keep you updated. Anyways, It makes me a little suspicious that someone in my home may be tinkering with the wyze cam to stay undetected :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Same question here. I have a Wyze because i rent a room and my roommates seem to be a little nosey. I had an SD card installed but when i come home it says no events recorded at all which doesn’t make sense, as it usually catches something from my window. It also does the connecting thing like it was never even connected in the first place. I will then go into settings Andy recording and notification settings are all reset, like someone wit access to the wifi was able to forget the device possibly? The only solution i could think of is using a personal hotspot that i can only control. Would this work??

My pan v3 continues to record to sd card but my og cams which actually work better usually completely shut off and record nothing and leave my house vulnerable when Internet is interrupted at my house. I have an ex that discovered it and used that to disconnect the Internet and break in my house. I only chose wyze and bought extra sd cards and aimed them to cover their own power sources to try preventing that from happening… So be careful using wyze products and look into competitor products carefully so you don’t get as invested as I did with several cameras, an annual fee and the expense of extra cards just to be left as vulnerable as you were before wasting the time and money to go with wyze…

This is a bit old of a thread. Things have changed. Even AI motion detection has changed it and some is localized (such as for the v3 pro) and the rest requires internet. Its now warping from time.

Idk how the og cams are affected with recording without internet or settings choices.

I have heard several of views regarding the OGs …

• The OG can continue to record to an SD Card if the connection to the Internet drops.
  • The OG can continue to record to an SD Card for a maximum of 30 minutes if the internet connection drops.
    -The OG stops recording if the internet connection drops.

I do not know what happens to an OG if the internet connection drops and then is restored. Some say the OG needs to be rebooted to work again.

Pan Cams will continue to operate (locally) without an internet connection and will resume uploading to th “cloud” servers if the internet connection is restored. Happened to our V2 this morning.

Perhaps someone with OGs can enlighten us all as to exactly how they behave when they lose connection to the internet and when that connection is restored.

I’m looking to buy a couple more cams. I will stick with Pan Cams if the OGs don’t continue to record to an SD Card without a functioning internet connection.