Eufy Cameras

I’m pretty sure I saw a review or video that mentioned the cheapo Yi cameras have exactly this same capability as Wyze (night mode without IR).

Echo, did the guest flush? Echo, did the guest wash her hands with soap?

2 Likes

sounds like another company with quirks.
or
it is the software manager gone wild.

In Japan toilets are a source of pride. Always sparkling clean with a dozen options including running hot water, cooling neck misters, foot warmers etc.

Newer toilets analyze your, er, leavings and May suggest dietary changes or a doctors visit.

1 Like

I think I need to do more world travelling! :slightly_smiling_face:

Actually I like that idea - preventive medicine is the way to go for many reasons! :slightly_smiling_face:

Um, I would really rather not get my “neck misted” by my toilet. But thanks.

3 Likes

This is why HomeKit is so important.

Apple - continuously developing, improving their software and services:

EDIT: there > their

1 Like

I know you guys are all into the platform but counting on Apple, of all companies, to reliably integrate 3rd party hardware indefinitely seems… unwyze?

1 Like

Ummm, “to reliably integrate 3rd party hardware indefinitely” is the entire purpose of Apple’s HomeKit - and it does it very well.

And there is nothing in the near nor far term that would make me drop them for an Android alternative. Apple is arguably the only major player in the game that doesn’t monetize your data, hence their positions on user privacy and security.

2 Likes

Apple has done really well with integration as well as outright acquisition. HomeKit as a platform is open sourced and will soon be available on Android and Windows and Linux. So I think I will keep investing in HomeKit products. I am installing iOS 14 as I write this and it brings some neat advances I am looking forward to playing with.

1 Like

Any hint of “newly acquired Wyze” integration? :grinning:

Like most (theoretical?) such acquisitions, I have no idea what the special value they’d be acquiring is. Wyze’s primary value added is the software, which a buyer would have to scrap anyway.

Nope, nothing Wyze specific so far. True HKSV cameras just acquired facial recognition so your doorbell cams will now announce whom is at the door or perhaps shout out “Stanger Danger” if they don’t recognize you?

Not sure I follow. Are you suggesting you don’t see the value of Apple having acquired XNOR?

Perhaps you’re not familiar with Apple’s HomeKit ecosystem. All this “HomeKit” coordination happens locally on your home/work/etc network - not in the cloud. It is controlled by whatever Apple device you have configured to do so (could be an AppleTV, HomePod, or iPad).

The ability for Apple’s HomeKit to do all the person/facial recognition on the user’s local network (read: not in anyones cloud) is yet one more way that Apple is fighting for your (ours) privacy and security rights.

Further, all that good HomeKit stuff that does leave your local network is encrypted in your iCloud user space - and guess who is the only person with the key - you, the end user.

EDIT: I will add - Wyze’s “special sauce” has little to do with their software, as you suggest (no offense Wyze), but rather what I believe them to believe the “democratization” of inexpensive smart home hardware. And to be honest - they all but invented the game. Problem is, others have entered the arena with cost-competitive hardware and software that meets or exceeds that produced by Wyze. It’s going to be interesting to see how their entire product roadmap unfolds.

2 Likes

Sure, Xnor’s very different. I assume the chief acquisition there was code and (primarily) patents. All they’d be getting from Wyze is brand goodwill, a customer base, and name recognition. It’s not their style to sell anything for $20 except maybe a cable, before shipping.

Yes rbruce told me about HomeKit and its local operation and it sounds very impressive. I would never in a million years trust Apple to shepherd it. The only hardware they like has an Apple logo.

/Own and have owned lots of Apple stuff

To each their own.

I considered myself better-versed in information security than the average user (whether true or not), and thus I have chosen Apple. Sure, I could find any number of things not to like, but their security and privacy standards far exceed their common competitors (eg Googe, Amazon, Facebook, etc…).

EDIT: Were you hinting something about Apple acquiring Wyze, or the value proposition therein? No, there is nothing for Apple to gain purchasing a startup selling inexpensive, white-box hardware.

2 Likes

Yeah I think I must have misread the “newly acquired Wyze integration” as an unfounded takeover rumor rather than an Xnor reference. Sorry.

1 Like

No worries! Thanks for the thoughtful discourse.

1 Like

I really don’t know who would anyone “trust” then. Not a private company, not a government, not a non-profit. I like my privacy but at the end of the day, I need to be able to choose the company gives me the most access to my data. Apple makes money from Hardware and let’s you keep your data. Google entirely monetizes your data to sell ads and content, Amazon is a middleman using your data to sell stuff. Unless one wants to completely get off the grid (which is a completely laudable effort), dismissing Apple as not being trustworthy does not make sense since they have been the most responsible among the big companies so far.

2 Likes

You’re kind of missing the point. I don’t distrust them on privacy or on my data. As you imply they have one of the best records in that regard, due in part to their business model - selling hardware and service. I said I distrust them to maintain for the long term a consortium of interoperable vendor equipment from multiple parties under a single vendor agnostic umbrella. Why? Because of their business model - selling hardware and service.

1 Like

Point taken. However, you can’t have one without the other. Security requires tight control (ala App Store) and Apple has done a pretty good job with it. (Not a single virus on my Mac and IOS devices so far).And Apple is doing the same with HomeKit. It’s just that the smaller hardware vendors (Wyze) can’t seem to find it important.