Easily remote control and view your garage with Wyze Cam v3 Garage Door Controller! 4/26/22

Can the garage cam / app be configured to open when my phone/app are within a certain distance of the house to “open” the garage door so I don’t have to manually press my garage opener?

2 Likes

@Newshound thanks but it looks like it would be a downgrade for me. I’ll check back after it’s matured a little. Also, I’d bet that I could deal with the wiring length issue (I’m an EE) but maybe it doesn’t have enough resolution at that distance? It would double the distance between door and camera.

Not at this time. There is no ‘open’ Rule for security purposes.

The only rule you can apply is ‘close the garage door’. I have a rule set to do this at Sunset.

Maybe you could do the opposite – make a rule that says if you leave the house, close the garage door. Nothing will happen if the door is already closed. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is great. I have a W3 cam in my garage and a controller by another company. I would be on this now…if it was Alexa compatible. I am stunned that this simple question is not answered in the FAQs or found in this subject.

I’ll buy it the instant it gains support for Alexa.

1 Like

I just checked. Too bad this “Garage Door Controller” isn’t compatible with the newer LiftMaster openers with Yellow Round button (since 2011). Why is that?

Check the other two compatibility methods in the Compatibility Checker in post 14 above. All 3 methods must fail for you to fail compatibility.

Method #2 is the one that really tells if it is compatible, because that’s what the controller is wired to. :slight_smile:

The yellow button indicates that the garage door opener uses Security+ 2.0, which has a little bit more smarts and doesn’t operate by just shorting out the terminals. Although, as Newshound mentioned, you can try out Method #2 to see if it works for you.

For what it’s worth, I have a yellow button, and I am unable to short out the terminals.

Yes, apparently there are two yellow-button series, one that works, and one that doesn’t. Unfortunately they made it look pretty certain on the compatibility checker. Method #2 is the best method for really determining your compatibility. :slight_smile:

Also, not just Alexa, what about Amazon In Home/Garage Delivery. If it can’t do those it’s a non-starter.

2 Likes

I am able to short the terminal, but the garage door doesn’t open. Oh well… Looks like this is not for me yet.

Just be sure not to pull into (or out of) your garage at sunset. :smiley:

1 Like

When will we be able to add the GDO to our cart and purchase one? (As of today, the Add to Cart buttons just spin and spin–both on Edge and Chrome.)

I was sold on it until I discovered I had to paper stupid QR code to my garage door.

2 Likes

What if the car is in the garage and the qr code is blocked?

IMO WYZE is too rush to roll out the garage door controller. LisftMaster is dominating and WYZE can’t support the products since 2011.

I have a Liftmaster 886LM wall control panel. It is the wired version, just two wires. Can’t WYZE take apart the $30 device and figure out the signal it sends to the overhead opener? It must be just a series of electric beeps instead of simple shorting.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I don’t think that Wyze is able (technologically or legally). I’ve been Googling “yellow button” for the last few hours (on and off during work). Apparently, Security+ 2.0 is a patented technology, so only Chamberlain can use it.

I’m certainly no expert with this stuff. But for now, it sounds like I have to stick with myQ…

1 Like

You pretty much have to install the camera up by the opener, so a car in the garage doesn’t have much effect. However, if you have a tall capped truck or something, know you can move the QR code to the right or left too.

I will have to do a test in my garage. But I think my wife’s SUV is too tall and the top row of the door has windows.

I wonder if at some point the AI will be able to identify a garage door without the QR code.

2 Likes

In theory that should happen someday. I suspect the QR Code is to keep the operation simple, repeatable, and the GDC bundle inexpensive ATM.

Maybe Security+ 2.0 and AI identification of the garage door status are good Wishlist topics for GDC V2. :slight_smile: