Disable PIR sensor when Outdoor Cam is mounted indoors for motion detection through a window

My Outdoor Cam v2 is mounted inside my house looking out through a window. As a result, event detection/notification is not possible because the PIR sensor cannot detect a change in heat outside
and thus never triggers the pixel comparison algorithm. Areas of motion are detected (annotated with a green box on the live view), but unfortunately don’t trigger an event. My wish is for a switch (hardware or software) to bypass the need for the PIR sensor to trigger the pixel algorithm.

Your request is possible with a significant firmware change, but development thereof is highly unlikely as the PIR sensor is also used to “wake” the cam up from a “sleep” state. Without a rewrite of the basic functional logic, disabling the PIR would result in the cam being in a permanent sleep state, hence no pixel detection would be possible. Any other non-PIR Wyze cam would be more suitable for your inside-the-window use case.

2 Likes

And sleep state is what lets the camera have a reasonable battery life. If disabling the PIR sensor meant disabling the sleep state, I would expect that battery life would be impacted to the point of causing recharge to be needed at an untenable frequency.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, there is no power outlet nearby to plug in an indoor cam. It seems to me only the logic requiring a PIR detection to trigger the follow-on pixel algorithm would need to be changed. That is, there would not be a need to disable the PIR sensor entirely. Finally, if the net result were more frequent charging, that would be fine. At least I’d have the functionality I need. In fact, I’d be happy to buy a second cam to keep charged and alternate with the first, thereby having a fully charged camera always ready to go.

1 Like

The camera spends most of its time asleep, if it was always awake I imagine the battery would last less than a day

1 Like

Are we saying when the camera isn’t otherwise being monitored through the app or recording an event, it is asleep except for the PIR sensor circuity? If so, I would imagine that the passive (non IR) detection draws far less current and could be relied upon to “wake” the device thereby extending the battery life compared to the PIR circuit.

The only ways of detection motion is via the PIR sensor or pixel motion algorithms. A pixel motion algorithm requires the camera to be on, running, and analyzing every frame. This draws a lot of power. A PIR sensor uses far less power than the processor needing to be active.

1 Like

It looks like I mistyped my reply but it also appears you understood what I was getting at, and your reply makes sense. There just has to be a better way!