Direct access to SD card with download ability

SneakerNet

IMHO, as a retired embedded firmware developer with 30 years experience, it is my belief that we will never get a standard implementation of this functionality just as we will never get a standard RTSP implementation. It is my belief that they have this functionality already and that it doesnā€™t fit into their marketing plan to give it to us.

2 Likes

Bought 7 cameras because I read RTSP was availā€¦ Canā€™t get RTSP to work reliably so back to stock. Please add ability to export out files on SD to \share/NAS to ease the pain. Should be easy to implement. Those that were looking forward to Maxdrive need thisā€¦ Thanks!

please add NAS support!!!

There is a web page where a guy gives instructions how to hack the linux operating system in the Wyze camera to save the video to a NAS. This involves having a NAS to save the files to.

It is might be possible to install an SFTP server (or at least a FTP server) using similar methods.

I believe Iā€™ve seen that as well, but I think it involves setting it up to trick the camera into thinking your NAS is the SD card. Relatively simple thing for Wyze to implement, would like to see something like that released from them.

Iā€™d be cautious of the hack, because the wyze also deletes files when the sd card is full. So if your mount isnā€™t restrictive as it should, one accident bug could wipe more than it should. Iā€™d wait for wyze too.

I am glad some people take chances and try new things. Let us know if the hack works.

1 Like

I cant find the post, but I remember instructions said to fill a small SD card up first. I think it uses the code for the deletion process somehow, but I agree on waiting until they come up with something. I think it would make quite a few of their users happy.

I instead would like the ability to access the IP address on the camera that would allow us to view the contents of the MicroSD card & tinkering settings securely via web browser. Instead of constantly removing the card to copy videos, Iā€™d like the browser option and leave the MicroSD card untouched in the card reader.

3 Likes

Presently the ability to record from card for a specific time frame is very crude. You must identify start date and time then sit and wait till your ending time
The ability to input a start and stop time would significantly improve isolated incidents.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a continuous record function but there is no way to share it because size wise it would be impossible say over a few gigs. I wish there was a way where users could mark a beginning time and an end time and hit the button share. The app will make a copy of the selected segment to export so user can easily share it. This would help even from a part of a event, eg dog in kitchen. I only want to share the portion where dog starts cooking a burger and opening up my beer.

1 Like

Accessing the sd card files via WiFiā€¦ Itā€™s a must. Itā€™s about time Wyze enable this. I donā€™t see why itā€™s still not implemented. From my perspective, It doesnā€™t seems very complicated do provide.

5 Likes

The record button is definitely no reasonable substitute as others have suggested. It only works if you have the time to sit and record in real time. In addition, if the audio and video are out of sync in playback (almost always), the recording is also out of sync.

2 Likes

Any chance this is still actually being looked at or was it relegated to the ā€œNever going to happenā€ #maybe-later bucket?

Iā€™m guessing somebody decided to instead start CHARGING for users to get their 24/7 videos in the cloud, so this ā€œfeatureā€ will never happen. Personally, Iā€™d like a ā€œcloud serviceā€ that allows me to only get the last 24 hours. I donā€™t need the last 2 weeks worth of video. I just want to be able to see what happened if the camera goes off-line for some reason. But when it goes offline I wonā€™t get anything unless it triggered motion before-hand.

Hey there, i have motion capture but sometimes the recording ends a bit prematurely, or else doesnā€™t start soon enough. Adjusting the sensitivity would for me create so many discrete notifications that it would effectively be a continuous recording.

I would like to be able to where the playback tab and set the start and end of a recording to export.

In my case, someone entered my property and the camera only recorded their back, but i backed up the recording a few seconds to see their face. I needed something to present to law enforcement so i used the playback tab and used my iPhone to screen record and it al worked out so itā€™s all good :slight_smile:

But would be nice if i could export a recording from camera with manually set start end end times, perhaps consider this functionality?

Thanks a bunch, this inexpensive camera made it possible to offer some proof to authorities in a less than pleasant situation.

Most routers you can click that smart wifi selection function off. Then it gives you a choice , you would end up with 2 different ssid.
Orbi, now I have changed the firmware, along with the smartphone will change between the 2 ssidā€™s doing what it thinks is best at the location I am at in the home

The main reason I purchased the cameras I did is to record video, and then save it. I got the SD card with that intent. I just had a day long event that I want to save and then speed up to make a fun video. It appears this is a major undertaking if possible. Iā€™m for sure not going to let my phone record for 24 hours to get the video to my phone. I really donā€™t want to go to the camera, get the card, copy almost 1,500 files to my computer, reinsert the card into the camera, realign the camera, and then hope I can get all those files in the correct order into my video editing software and then finally edit it the way I want.

JUST MAKE THIS A FEATURE!!! This just seems like an obvious feature that would be a no brainer to have before you even launched the camera.

1 Like

I fully agree it would be a great feature but there are workarounds.
A couple of things here -
even on a relatively fast network downloading 1,500 files takes a while.
I use sd card ā€œextender cablesā€.

I carry a second sd card to swap in when I want to change/copy files, thus the camera always stays aligned.
VLC and Windows 10 movies & tv software puts all the files in correct order, perhaps there is something in the iOS realm that would work better.

1 Like

It boggles my mind that we have to beg for a feature that is available on virtually every other IP camera available. IMHO, such basic function should have been in the initial firmware release.

3 Likes