Different Alert Sound for Wyze Notifications

@ricardo.davidovich, welcome to the user community!

Since this topic is listed as roadmap\in development, it is currently being hammered out by Wyze. What I hope to see from that is different sounds for the different types of alerts (Person\Pet\Vehicle\contact sensor\motion sensor… Etc).

I am not sure if iOS has this capability, I haven’t had one since the 5. But, if I want to differentiate any (ALL) Wyze notifications from others… Like Whatsapp, email, messages… Etc. I do this thru my Android settings. I have one tone I use for each app and only that app so when I hear it, I know exactly which app notified me.

Not a limitation of iOS. I have several iOS third-party apps with app-specific notification sounds that are unique to those apps. They don’t all allow for changing sounds from within the iOS prefs, but they at least do have app-specific sounds unique to those apps. Wyze can do it. Not a tough assignment at all.

Good information… Does iOS allow you to assign any sound you choose to an app thru the settings? For example, my bank app doesn’t have an app specific notification setting that comes with it so I assign it one of my own that I downloaded… a cash register. My email notification is George Carlin screaming at me “THERE’S A LETTER IN YOUR MAILBOX”. I have my Wyze notifications with an old timey ding dong doorbell. None of these came with the app but were assigned thru the OS notification settings.

In my case, I just want to be sure not miss a distinctive sound alert from Wyze.
Canary has within it s App, under preferences, Notification Sound options. There you can select Canary sound or device default sound. This Canary sound is very distinctive, and you can immediately know you are receiving a canary security system alert.

That’s exactly what I wanted for any Wyze notifications so I changed it from the default notification sound assigned by my phone to an annoying ding dong bell so I never miss it. I can change it to any mp3 I download. You might be able to do that thru your iOS app notification settings already. Waiting for confirmation from @kersh

iOS does have that ability. But for a third-party app developer to rely on the iPhone Settings > Sounds preferences they’d have to sign up as an Apple Certified Developer and purchase the iOS developer tools. Not a cheap to do. Most third-party iOS app developers just embed their notification sounds directly in their app itself. Again, not hard to do.

2 Likes

Thx! So the long term development wishlist solution is we all want Wyze specialized notifications with specific notification sound options embedded in the app so we can tell the difference in the various types of Wyze notifications.

The immediate workaround until that happens is to change the global Wyze notification (WyzeMessage) sound thru our OS notification settings to whatever unique tune we want it to be.

Nope. Not doable in iOS (yet) because Wyze hasn’t programmed that as an option for the iPhone.

Make up your mind. Geez! I asked you that in the first place.

Soooooooo… Go buy an android.

Tapping out.

So what you are saying is you are only interested in having a different sound notification for the Wyze app in general and not each individual device. I believe what people have been asking for is individual device notifications so we can tell the difference between important notifications vs one for the entire array of all devices. Personally I could care less what the sound is for the Wyze app, I need to know which camera or sensor was just tripped. I get dozens of notifications per day that are not real important but maybe somewhat useful but I really would like to know which camera just saw something so I react accordingly instead of checking my phone every 5 minutes to see what happened. This is a make or break on whether or not I buy more Wyze products. I realize they are inexpensive cameras with a fair picture quality but I will probably be looking for a more aligned security line of cameras so that I know when one has tripped that is was in fact a camera. PS. This topic has not been solved I far as I have seen.

1 Like

There are two ways for Wyze to approach this. I addressed both. Since you’re obviously an Android user I’m not surprised you don’t get it. But I won’t slam you for it as you’ve slammed me.

I’d prefer Wyze do what you and others here are requesting. I personally don’t need multiple distinct sounds for each cam. But I might in the future and Wyze should just go ahead and do that. I’m starting to question their competency for the task though considering they can’t deliver even just a distinct alert sound of any kind. Just ludicrous!

I agree. It has not been solved. What I am indicating is there is a partial workaround for Android users that will at least differentiate a Wyze notification rather than some other app using the default notification tone.

As indicated earlier…

I too want Wyze to develop differing types of notifications, either with app resident provided notification tones, or just unique notifications I can manually assign different tones. Right now, all push notifications, regardless of the trigger, come in as “WyzeMessage” on Android.

I have also employed an additional measure that tells me when a Wyze notification comes in, exactly what the notification is and what device initiated that notification. It is just a workaround, but it works.

I have installed the app Free Notification Reader. It is a bit labor intensive to get the settings right as it is very technical in the advanced settings, but when a Wyze notification comes in (or any other app you choose) the app reads aloud the text of that notification. So, when I get a PD notification on my Garage Cam, I will hear my specially assigned Wyze notification tone and 1 second later the Assistant Voice will say aloud over the speaker “Message from Wyze, Person Detected on Garage Cam at 2:33 pm. Check out the event video.” Or… “Message from Wyze, Motion detected on Garage Motion Sensor”. Any device set for notifications will be audibly announced.

It also works on my BT headset when driving and it also reads my emails and SMS texts to me.

The app is fully customizable for advanced users who want to tweak the settings with custom scripts.

Just ideas to make it easier until Wyze wades through the weeds getting to an RC solution.

Possible fix: As an example, Canary solved this within the App:

How do I set a custom sound for Canary notifications?

With the most recent Canary app update (v2.1.0 for iOS and Android), you can now choose between your phone’s default notification sound and a new Canary alert. This is a profile setting, so all of your Canary devices will play the sound that is selected.

To change the selected sound:

1. Tap the three lines in the top right corner.
  2. Tap My account .
  3. Tap Preferences .
  4. Tap Notification sound .
  5. Tap your preferred sound
    • Device default
    • Canary
  6. Tap Save

This topic addresses the need for a different notification sound at the app level, not the device level. Android already provides this functionality. iOS does not without a 3rd party app.

The topic that covers device level notifications is located here:

Individual Camera, Sense, Doorbell, etc. Alert Notification Sound and/or Color

1 Like

You make it sound like Android provides this natively. IT DOES NOT. The links you referred to talks about using an Android app called LightFlow. Some, including me, are reluctant re installing apps, because of spying/tracking, so we think the functionality should be built into the Wyze app itself.

I tried FilterBox because it was free, but it provided no way to override DND or Mute (for those really important notifications) and I found no way to contact the Chinese developer.

So I tried Buzzkill, a $2.50 app by a Brit fellow, that requires NO PERMISSIONS, which makes me trust it more. The developer has been fast with replies, but he does need more documentation online, since the app is not all that INTUITIVE, but it does work and works with ALL NOTIFICATIONS on your Android phone, not just Wyze.

I have more details on my experience with Buzzkill on these Wyze forums if you want to look for them.

And so, I’m no longer waiting on Wyze to add these custom notifications.

Just re-read your post. I mis-interpreted, my apologies.
You made me aware of LightBox app which I might try sometime, so thanks for the tip.

1 Like

You are continuing to conflate 2 separate issues. This topic you are commenting on is related to a different notification sound at the app level. Android provides this for any app that chooses to make use of it. The Wyze app for Android is already satisfied by this wishlist request. The setting is in Android, not the Wyze app.

The other wishlist request that addresses your need covers different notification sounds for each device and if implemented will make LightFlow or FilterBox unnecessary.

I am very familiar with both products and have been using Light Flow for longer than Wyze has been a company.

Please avoid diverting this wishlist topic. If you continue, we (moderators) will move all device-level comments to the appropriate wishlist topic, Individual Camera, Sense, Doorbell, etc. Alert Notification Sound and/or Color

2 Likes

Thanks @Seapup! :+1: Fully understood your differentiation between Android OS level global notification settings control, App level control, and Wyze device level control. Thanks for the link too! Didn’t know the Wyze device level was a separate wishlist item.

2 Likes

Still waiting for “WebView”… LOL It was supposed to release after the first of the year. Still Beta. But hey, at least there’s a gun safe and an air purifier - so we’ve got that going for us.

Beta is certainly better than nada. And, even though it is beta, it is still accessible to all who care to try it, no beta buy in needed