Different Alert Sound for Wyze Notifications

Yeah, my statement was a general reply to no one in particular. I have noticed though that the alert for a ‘jammed’ door shows up on my iPad as a ‘critical’ alert with an urgent tone. But it still shows on my Android phone as a regular ol’ alert with the same tone.

better notification for message alart

the alert sound like a text message instead or a warning like motion detection
or back yard detection the alerts needs to be better

[Mod Edit] Merged with an existing wishlist topic. Give it a vote to help it along!

1 Like

any updates? its 2022 and it has not been developed even though you stated its in development.

5 Likes

Customize/categorize notification sounds and delivery

I would like to be able to customize the notifications from the app, perhaps sort by categories and play different noises for the different types, and choose how the notifications are delivered.

Example:
Door locked/unlocked, door sensor, window sensor - chime 2, displayed on phone and watch
Camera motion detected - chime 1, displayed on phone
Alarm triggered - alarm chime, display on all devices and watch
Doorbell camera triggered - match doorbell chime, display on phone and watch

[Mod Edit] Merged with an existing wishlist topic. Give it a vote to help it along!

So a year later and this still hasn’t been delivered? This is crazy. I miss doorbell notifications because you are still making us hear the default phone notification sound instead of a custom one. This shouldn’t be difficult development.

2 Likes

howie_mandel
Okay, okay… I downloaded Buzzkill for my Samsung A20 Android phone from google play, for $2.50, the only app that I have ever paid for. It has a 30 day refund policy and the review says that it needs NO PERMISSIONS, so it doesn’t spy on you.

I read so many reviews about the beautiful interface and how well it worked. I tried FilterBox previously, and liked it’s interface, but no way to contact the Chinese developer to see if he could make it override DND (do-not-disturb) and Mute (all phone sounds off, including ringer).

Buzzkill’s interface is pretty good, and it comes with some sample ‘rules’, but that’s it. No documentation online, but at least the developer, a Brit fellow, is pretty fast with replies. I sort of felt like I was being spoon fed information.

But I got it working for two situations involving my Texting app (the stock Texting app) and my Wyze cams. In both cases, I wanted it to intercept notifications from my Text app and from selected Wyze cams, 24x7, and let me know about em by overriding DND and Mute, even during the middle of the nite. It does that, but even as a longtime tech guy, it took a good deal of experimentation over a 2 week period, and many emails to the developer.

This is NOT for those that need a quick and easy solution, however, Buzzkill works for ALL KINDS OF THINGS related to notifications on your phone.

Note that I recorded my own voice, using the stock Text app, so I could have myself announce when a certain camera detected motion. I’d say something like “Beach House Motion”, wanting it to be short and sweet.

I then went into the Files app on my phone and searched for “voice” and it found a file named something like “Voice message Joe Jones_001.amr”. I renamed it to BeachHouseMotion.amr and then I moved it my Android Notifcations folder.

Then, in Buzzkill, I created a rule to watch for notifications from the Wyze app that had the words “Beach House” and “motion”. Then I told it to play “BeachHouseMotion.amr” with options to override DND and Mute.

When I receive that announcement, I go to the Wyze app and play the motion video, and perhaps watch some video from the SD card. I then have to remember to put my phone back on DND and Mute. There’s no Buzzkill rule to do that yet, but it might be coming.

The 2nd situation is for receiving a text from my elderly mother. I created another sound file for her announcements, and I want to be alerted to her texts 24x7. I also created a rule to do the same thing for a phone call from her. However, it only announces it AFTER she hangs up, which is not ideal, IMHO, however, she knows that I will probably hear the announcement and call her right back. There’s a also a rule to nag you with a reminder beep with an interval, in seconds, of your choosing, for x number of times.

There’s a number of rules in Buzzkill that I have yet found a need for, like to save notifications and then give em to you in a batch.

Note, I leave my phone on DND 24x7, and I do not have voice mail set up. The only calls that come thru are from those in my contact list AND marked as a favorite. The silence is bliss. And I put my phone on Mute when I sleep, so as to not receive text alerts or other things bleeping and blooping on my phone.

In summation, there’s a limited number of notifications that are of big importance, and with my unique sounds and voice files, I know what is alerting just by listening.

Anyway, I’m no longer waiting on Wyze to add this feature. If they add it and do it right, they may streamline the process, but Buzzkill now gives me “Notification Superpowers”, as it says on the Google play page.

3 Likes

I almost unsubscribed from this forum entirely due to the lack of action from Wyze. I am so glad I didn’t after reading this post. I’ve purchased and installed Buzzkill and look forward to giving it a go with Wyze. Really appreciate the tip.

1 Like

bk1

Immediately after I create a rule, I rename it to something meaningful.
Buzzkill sorts the rules in this display by their names, so rules that work together to accomplish a task, are together in the display.

The last 2 rules shown in Figure1 work together, to intercept a Motion notification from a camera that I have named “111SD” in the Wyze app. You cannot control the order in which rules are executed. Basically, these 2 rules work together because of the words I told them to look for. That’s not so apparent or intuitive, but it’s the way Buzzkill works currently.

There needs to be more documentation on what rules do and how they work together, and when they do NOT work together.

In this example, the WyzUnsilence rule (my name) turns off DND and Mute on my Phone, so that I will hear the sound file “111SDmotion” defined in the WyzCustomSound rule (my name). Unsilence and CustomSound are 2 of about 20 rules that Buzzkill has.

Note, when I add rules for more cameras, I will rename these 2 rules to
Wyz111SD.customSound and Wyz111SD.unsilence, with 111SD denoting the name of the camera. Buzzkill has a selection to rename rules.

One last thing… I reduced the font size in Buzzkill so I could see more on the screen at once. Buzzkill has no setting for that, maybe should have. Instead, I went to the Display applet in Android Settings and reduced the font size there.

2 Likes

After buying several hundred dollars in Wyze products I’m starting to have regrets, especially after seeing this thread. I have a number of iPhone apps that include unique notification sounds, and some allow for changing the sounds within the apps. Buying cams are obviously about security. But how am I to have any sense of urgency about cam notifications when the Wyze app only triggers the same alert tone as a standard text message? To discover this thread was started in 2018 and still Wyze has yet to implement such a simple request is inexcusable. I’d planned on buying more Wyze products. That’s now off the table. Wyze, you’d better stop ignoring your customers’ requests, especially when you’d many months ago to have claimed it was in development!

6 Likes

I am with you. This cannot be that difficult. They need to start with the products people are using for security purposes. Then if they feel the need to add different tone for light bulbs, sprinklers, scales, or whatever then go for it but at least throw us a bone and get the security type products set up for custom notification tones. Stop saying it is in the works, get it done before you develop any new products.

4 Likes

I’m not going to add another app to my phone and fuss with it to solve this ongoing problem. I complained here well over 2 years ago to no avail, as did MANY other Wyze cam owners like me who every day HAVE TO IGNORE THEIR SECURITY CAMERA NOTIFICATIONS because Wyze does not have the ability to change their camera’s notification sounds. The company simply doesn’t possess the technical skills to do this. It’s been many years now, hundreds of customers begging for the fix, with WYZE promising “it’s under development,” yet there is no change.
I finally gave up on Wyze ever fixing their product and found a “solution.” All I did was TURN OFF ALL NOTIFICATIONS except Wyze and the essential ones needed- like texts, phone messages, severe weather, etc. Everything else is off!
Now, when I hear that anemic little beep that I can’t change one bit (thanks to WYZE), I check my phone.
I don’t really miss the other alerts. But you might!

3 Likes

I downloaded the app that @tharn posted and it has helped me with many different notification issues aside from just Wyze, including my Schlage deadbolt locks which also only allowed for one notification without telling me which deadbolt just opened. I’m not trying to sell you this app, nor does it affect me which way any of you choose to deal with this issue, but I consider @tharn’s solution to be 100% effective and no longer care if Wyze deals with this natively or not.

Thanks a lot for no longer caring and, in effect, encouraging Wyze to not fulfill its promises here. Glad it worked out for you. But Buzzkill is a non-starter for any iPhone users, like me.

2 Likes

I’ve gone 180 on this whole issue. At first I was annoyed at Wyze. Now I realize that almost none of the cameras I’m considering do custom notifications (per device). Even the far more expensive Google Nest cameras don’t do it. See this post on their forums.

It’s obviously up to each of us to work around this issue, as I have done. If you’re going to boycott Wyze over this, maybe consider boycotting Google, too, just to be consistent. They’ve done no better than Wyze.

1 Like

I wouldn’t know about Google as I’ve never patronized them (given how evil Google is a conspiracy theorist might assume their Nest cams give a direct feed to the NSA).

This issue here has nothing whatsoever to do with Google anyway. The issue is Wyze specifically stated over 3 years ago that it was “in development.” Did they lie to us or are they so incredibly incompetent they’re incapable of delivering on a simple improvement? Either way it looks very bad.

I only used Google as an example of cameras that don’t do custom notifications per device. Google Nest Cameras don’t do this. Blink Cameras don’t do this. Arlo cameras do this (just recently) for about 5 times the price of Wyze. Your choices are clear.

Oh for goodness sake, it might be an idea to turn down the drama a bit. Some employee posted three years ago on a support forum that this feature was in development. This does not constitute a binding promise from the Wyze company to you (or to me, or to anyone) that it will be delivered. Companies undertake development efforts every day and the large majority of those development efforts do not result in delivered products.

Nobody owes you (or me, or anyone) this feature. Wyze has made its choices. Now go and make yours. I’ve made mine, and I’m sticking with Wyze.

1 Like

Thank you so much for permitting me to make my own choices. That’s precisely what I’m doing. My choice is to hold a company accountable for reneging on an old promise. If you don’t like it you have the choice to ignore what I and others here have said. What you don’t have the choice to do is to shame us into silence under the guise of “turn down the drama a bit.” We won’t be stopping here (437 comments in the thread so far indicates it must be rather important to many of us), so you have the choice now to move along.

1 Like

You were not promised anything. Wyze has broken no promises to you.

Nobody is asking you not to post. Similarly, do not expect others (specifically me) not to post to point out the misguided and drama-filled nature of other posts. Yes, I have the choice to move along. I was actually inclined to do so and unsubscribe to this topic, but instead I think I’ll stay subscribed and refute any future misguided, drama-filled, self declarations of victimhood that I might see here. :slight_smile:

Have a wonderful day.

I agree, the default notification sound on iPhone is annoying specially when you have several cameras with 100’s of notification everyday.

1 Like

The Wyze app does not have a distinctive sound alert, This will be very useful to differentiate regular alerts form Whatsapp, mails, messages, etc.

Is is possible to include to the app, specific sound alerts to be aware that a Wyze alert is coming in?

Thanks

[Mod Note]: Your request was merged to this topic for consistency in grouping similar requests. You may also wish to comment on and/or vote for “Individual Camera, Sense, Doorbell, etc. Alert Notification Sound and/or Color”. Remember to scroll up to the top and click the VOTE button.

1 Like