DHCP - Address Reservation

With over 100 smart devices in my home, including many Wyze cameras, one of the top most helpful operational tricks was creating a spreadsheet and using the DHCP router webpage to reserve IP addresses for all devices. I never have “conflicts” and my uptime is near perfect for years. Anything Wyze can do to help users “reserve” IP addresses for their camera - would be helpful to the experience of many!

Maybe devices could send extra Meta information to routers for faster identification. Or inside the Wyze app there could be a recommendation with the device MAC address easily seen.

You can bind MAC to static IP to create a table. MAC is printed on device label and also retrievable via the QR code on exterior of device and also on device packaging. You can also obtain the MAC from the Wyze app via Device Info. MAC is already passed to router.

4 Likes

Yes! I am just assuming many users do not known about how valuable this trick is. Maybe in the Wyze App they could use an Info Tip to teller the average user. What I mean about extra meta data to the router - would be the name of the device in the Wyze App gets handed to the router.

1 Like

I can pass up the recommendation to add the tip to the Wyze Support webpages, but I doubt Wyze will add tips to the app in the name of keeping the footprint a reasonable size. Also, DHCP and address reservation is not something an average user will delve into.

2 Likes

I also use DHCP reservations for everything at my house that routinely shows up. Current count is 144 on router #1 and another 50 or so on router #2.
I would agree with Seapup. People who know what DHCP reservations are and use them already know how to do it on their equipment.

2 Likes

You can always let another device handle DHCP. I use a Raspberry Pi running Pi-Hole.

2 Likes

Thank you! I understand your point! It’s just an exponentially beneficial step to a seamless smart home. Cheers!

1 Like