Cut and Reconnect The Wyze light strip & light strip pro

One of my other lives is I run a music synchronized Christmas light show. The Wyze light strips are what we Christmas lighters call “dumb strips” and the Wyze light strip pro is what we call “smart strips”. I have LOTs of experience with both - for years.
Dumb strips can be spliced fairly easily, however there are current limits with the controller, and also current carrying capacity on the strips themselves. If I were to hazard a guess, the current capacity of the Wyze controller does not allow adding much in the way of additional length, so I would not try it. If you need to cut a strip and splice it back together (for example to turn around a corner), that should not be a problem. Note that the strip connectors that spamoni4 posted are likely garbage. On the lighting groups, no one has ever found any similar connectors that actually worked well and lasted very long. You really have to solder some wire at the end of one strip and solder that to the end of the other segment.
As for smart strips, the same splicing issues apply excdept you really can’t exceed the 50 pixels per strip because the controller will not be sending any data to anything beyond the 50th pixel. The controllers we use for Christmas lighting will drive more than 50 pixels, but quite certain that the Wyze controller will not.

5 Likes