Continuous Recording (SD Card)

Pan cam with FW 4.10.3.34 appears to be continuously recording even when Record Event settings are both off (Motion and Sound) and Local Storage set to Record on event. Motion tracking and Tagging are set to off as well.

Have tried several restarts, power cycles and choice toggles and it appears that it is determined to continuously record to the SD card. How do I turn this feature off?

Is it possible that the camera is pointing at something that’s moving continuously causing it to keep recording even though it’s in “record on event” for the local storage setting?

Yes. As I pace about the living area where the camera is pointed, and the detection zone is pointing, it is recording.

But are there times when there is absolutely no motion for longer than 2 minutes, but the SD card continues to record? Is that the problem you’re having?

I guess a better clarification, on my part, is needed. It continuous in the sense of full time recording. It only records when it sees movement, I guess. Does the camera record regardless of either setting in Record on Event?

I’d rather not have it recording my every movement if possible while at home. If the nature by design is to record, regardless of setting, then I guess I’ll just have to live with that.

It may be that it is going to record if their is any movement regardless of whether detection zone is on, event record, etc.

I want to start by clarifying something. Event recording to the cloud (12 second clips) and local recording to the SD card are independent:

1. Cloud motion/sound event: These are enabled in the camera settings (gear icon) > Event Recording. Also make sure that the Detection Zone under Detection Settings is not missing the area of motion. These are played back in the Events tab.
  2. microSD card recording: This is enabled in Advanced Settings > Local Storage and can be set to continuous or event only recording. This is played back by pressing the View Playback button on the live stream. This is completely independent from #1.

If the SD card local recording is set to event only, it will retain very one minute segment from mm:00 to mm:59 that contains any motion.

If you want to leave this setting enabled, but stop it from recording when you are home, I’d suggest you use the Shortcuts feature in the app to turn the camera off when home and on when away. This will stop SD card recording when it’s off. You can setup a shortcut to be activated by a button at the top of the app, or at set times of day and days of week:

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015658451-Shortcuts

2 Likes

This sounds like the best scenario in turning the camera off when at home. I’ll just add an additional step to my existing shortcut to do this and then we should be good to go. As always, thanks for the help.

Cheers.

1 Like

@Chris1
The setting on the Event Recording page “Detects motion” is immaterial for Local Recording/Record Events Only.
In other words, if you have enabled SD card recording with “Record Events Only”, it will save a 1-minute clip anytime it detects motion, even if the Event Recording/Detect Motion option is set to off.

The setting that does influence local recording of events is the Detection Zone. If there is motion within the detection zone (like you walking around in front of the camera), it will record it to the SD card. It will save each and every 1-minute interval in which motion was detected within the detection zone. For example, if you were inside the detection zone and started walking around at 9:45:50 and kept walking until 9:46:10 (then exited the detection zone), it will save two minutes worth of video to the SD card (from 9:45:00 to 9:47:00).

Usually reliable sources report that the Sensitivity slide control (under Motion detection settings) is also ignored for event recording to the SD card. It impacts what triggers capture of 15 seconds clips that get sent to the cloud. The only control the human has for local recording is (a) where to aim the camera (b) the location of the detection zone and (c ) continuous or ‘event-driven’ recording.

Hope this helps!

4 Likes

That explains a lot. Thanks for the input.

I second Chris1. This explains a lot! Thanks for the help.

The firmware is being revised so that both the sensitivity slider AND the detection zone will be utilized during SD-card event only mode – for all three camera models. I apologize that I’ve lost track of for which models that change is in production firmware vs still in beta.

Thanks. That’s good to know.

It sure would be nice if Wyze would create/maintain a Wiki capturing all this info. Bit by bit, a lot of the crowd-sourced intel (like the tidbit about the Sensitivity slider) is being made obsolete as revised firmware is released.

1 Like