Connect with Hot Spot for my elderly mom

I am not technical in the least - but I need to set up something for my mom. I own 2 Wyze cameras that I use daily in my mom for my daycare. I LOVE them!

I would like to put a camera in my mom’s house for me to check up on her, but her only wi-fi is a Verizon HotSpot - which I currently know nothing about.

In non-tech language - is this possible. And how do I do it?

Yes, fully possible. I did write (well over a year ago) about how to use an iPAd, connected to Verizon’s LTE network, used as a hotspot, and having a camera in a stable monitoring horses.

So you just do the exact same as when you set up a camera at home.

1. Turn on hotspot
  2. Connect your phone’s WiFi to said hotspot. Make sure you are on the 2.4 GHz WiFi network
  3. Set up Wyze via the exact same process you normally go through
    (as a “2.5”, you could of course go into airplane mode (disconnect YOUR phone from the cell network), ensuring you are still connected to the hotspot and then run a Speedtest to see what service quality the hotspot delivers)

Your mama’s cameras would of course now be on your account. If you want them on hers, you’d have to create an account for her, sign in your app to hers, and setup from there.

The AM iPad setup was in an area of really crappy Verizon coverage, but it still worked pretty well. Often video would stutter, or hang for some 5-10 seconds, but that blame is solely on the LTE network, not Wyze or the iPad per se.

Added note: Often there is a label on a hotspot that will tell you the SSIDs (name for your local wireless network) and password for each network. Hopefully there is a separate SSID for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. If there isn’t, you have to go through the admin interface for the Verizon hotspot and either change the names, or turn off 5 GHz (as you need to ensure your phone is connected to 2.4 GHZ - and if you have an iPhone, there is no way to know the network frequency).
Admin can be via an app, or via a web browser, going to the default IP address (really similar to your main router’s address at home), This information is often listed on same sticker with passwords on bottom of device.

1 Like

Thank you! I tried enough on my own last night that I think I may understand what you said. Woo hoo. I’ll try again.

Glad I could point you in the right direction.
And you know here in the forum, there are always tons of individuals able (and willing) to help, so try it out.
I order to be able to give detailed assist though, you would need to provide info on the Verizon MiFi, etc. And needless to say, it will need to be plugged in at all time.

1 Like