Change WiFi Network Name (SSID) and password without device reset

Ah, that changes everything! It was my assumption that most people were asking for the ability to change SSIDs without the presence of the older, original WiFi network.

Now it makes more sense, but for a much narrower “use case”. Someone had better still have the old router available and functional for this to work, and, if the SSID credential was changed for security reasons, be prepared to deal with that temporary re-exposure.

Thanks, I finally understand how this can be a valid and achievable feature request.

2 Likes

I uses Blink, Ring, Wyze, and other vendors. Some make it easy to change the WiFi details, so we know it can be done - it’s a matter of wanting to spend the time doing it since it makes no money, and Wyze is all about the money. Poor Wyze users, will we ever get a new App, a Windows based interface, Live view that isn’t [Mod Edit], devices that work when they ship, etc.

[Mod Edit] Edited the post to confirm with the Community Guidelines

1 Like

I’d like to change my WI-FI password for all Wyze equipment

I have six Wyze devices and want to change the WI-FI password for each, Three of the Wyze devices are floodlights, which are mounted two stories above me. Instead of going through the original setup for each device which includes manually resetting each device (I’d need to buy a two story ladder and climb up to accomplish the reset for the floodlights), it would be much easier and much safer to do this from the app. Ideally, I could change all six at the same time, instead of doing it one at a time.

2 Likes

Ability to Update Wi-Fi information

Should be able to quickly edit Wi-Fi info to change when you change network providers. I think it’s crazy that I now have to reinstall every Wyze device in my house

1 Like

Don’t think we are going to get an answer, and i have 7 freaking camera’s these cameras havent been the greatest. Always problems . . Maybe time to try new camera’s from somewhere else

Yes! This would be a great idea. I just had to reset ALL my devices because I got a new router.

1 Like

Would love to see this happen soon. How close are we to making this happen?

I just changed my router and then found out I could not just change the network ID and password in the settings for each camera. I had to add four new devices, even though they’re the same four cameras. You also have to reconfigure all the settings like detection zone and everything else. It’s just bizarre! It’s just a waste of time. Please fix this.

Wi-Fi Editing after cams are Set Up

I know its not a frequent thing most people do. Although in the past 3 months I have moved and updated my wi-fi router to a new model. That means both times I have had to manually go through the “set-up” steps to change the wifi setting on each camera.

As someone who has 10 cameras this is very cumbersome and It would make life much easier if you could simply go into the camera settings and update the wi-fi address and password.

I hope this makes it way to the top! Thank you

1 Like

I still find it a little hard to believe that most folks requesting this feature are prepared to leave the old router in place while they make this SSID change, and only then swap routers after all the cameras have been reconfigured.

I believe there is a false sense of expectations.

Any why did you not simply set the new WiFi to match the SSID and PW of the old WiFi. Then you would have to do nothing with any of your IoT devices, phones, laptops, etc.

Even if you change the WiFi SSID or PW, you do not have to setup all the settings for all of your cameras. The key it to NOT delete the cameras as they exist, simply add the same cameras onto the new WiFi. The Wyze system will recognize that it’s the same cameras and all the settings are kept.

2 Likes

I tried to use the same SSID and PW, although none of my cameras came back online. seems the only way is through the add new device.

For such a simple process it is extremely frustrating when you have to do this for 10 devices

You say it’s such a simple process, name any other device of yours that allows you to make the change you want. Your phone, computer, almost all other IoT devices all require you to do some manual process to change to a new SSID / PW combination. Usually that means adding the new network for smarter devices (phone, computer), and re-doing the setup for most IoT devices.

1 Like

my computer, phone, alexa devices, smart watch. all allow me to change network information or add another network.

Ideally I would love if all the wyze devices would recognize they are together after being registered and set-up a first time. If you change the network and update one device, it would be nice if all other devices could follow suite.

Or even just an account SSID and password that is automatically applied to all devices in the account.

Then again I know nothing about software so might be easier said than done.

1 Like

Samsung Smart Cam, dlink cams, many devices allow the wireless settings to be changed in their apps.

If you have a wyze outdoor cam you’ll never believe what you change on the base in the app.

I’ll have to take your word on that. I have NEVER seen an IoT type device with that capability.

1 Like

Feature Request : Ability to change wifi network on Wyze devices from the app.

The ability to push a new network SSID and password from the app to the device would make so much sense and save so much time. Push information, and then the device stores and reboots. I have about 25 devices from cameras, to plugs, locks, bulbs, thermostat. Making this change would save probably 2 hours of time of resetting up all devices and possibly losing rules.

Thank you and please consider :slight_smile:

1 Like

How would that work and how would you orchestrate the router swap required to do this properly? I still don’t think this makes any logical sense for most people.

You’d just need to look at the Wyze outdoor cam base to see how to implement it. They already have done it, just like lots of other cam makers.

Hello I just got done talking to support.
(Divine)

I just recently got new WiFi service for cheaper price and was transferring everything over.

I currently have 2 Wyze outdoor V2 and
3 Wyze cam V2 (indoor ones)

The outdoor cameras was not hard to re-set up but the indoor ones I can’t reset cause the adhesive that came with the cameras to stick to the wall ended up being better than expected and after having them up for a year ripped some paint off with it (lol)

So with that said you can’t get to the QR code to re-set them.

So what I would love to see is being able to change All or even each Individual cameras WiFi setting via the app.

Now I have to buy 3 new cameras and it kinda hurts the pocket a little.

1 Like