Car parked in front of our house- Hit & Run- Time running out to review continuous recording, where do I start?!

Thanks @angus.black and again many thanks to everyone for their feedback.

It was our initial suspicion when we observed the damage that there was no paint transference or scratches that would indicate a car merely passing by. We had a hunch that it was one of the many work trucks in our neighborhood. There happens to be a contractor who lives at the end of our street who is coincidentally doing deck-work across the street from us/ across the street from where our car is parked. We’ve never exchanged pleasantries but it would be pretty disappointing if we found footage to be of his doing.

I’ll try to take pictures of the scene later today, namely the driveway of the house where he’s currently doing work and in relation to our spot where we park.

I’m (sadly) looking forward to reviewing the camera footage like it was a summer movie blockbuster release.

I suspect the guy that hit it has no idea that he did it.
If he was backing slowly into it there wouldn’t be much impact.

@PQ526 can we see the viewpoint the camera has on the car too?

Hard to see- my car is the furthest right on the screen.

wow, that’s a ways away. does motion detection ( with the green box) pick up motion all the way over there?

Only when the car’s driving up (and I highly doubt it was hit on the way up)

Just as most suspected- we feel it was backed into, if not someone driving on the way down.

We just got the memory card copied over to our desktop and are using VLC player on fast forward to scroll through weekend’s events. Keep y’all posted!!

1 Like

keep and eye out for the green motion box ( if you have it on) I would look at any situation there something moves in that side of the screen. if you have another window or area to mount one,this seems like the perfect areafor an addition camera closer to that side of your property.

I knew it. Thank you to everybody for your guidance and help. Going straight to sheriff’s office tomorrow.This guy is 3 houses down the street- was doing work at a neighbor’s house. Has the nerve to HIT my car and say ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Builder%20Bitch

5 Likes

Impact

7 Likes

Good luck! Glad that Wyzecam actually helped!

Just glad the culprit was found and as such can be brought to face the consequences.

Yay, $25 camera investment payed off.
He may not have known he hit it if he was moving very slowly. Unlikely with a pickup though.
That could be the Canadian in me. :slight_smile:

My wife did the same thing but did realise she did it. Luckily the car she hit was worth about $1000. I bought it, fixed it and sold it.

Not blaming you, can you park where you’re not directly across from a driveway?
My neighbour doesn’t park across from mine anymore. :smile:

2 Likes

Glad you’ve got the evidence now! Please close the loop here when you learn the disposition.

1 Like

This is great story!
Thanks for posting OP

WOW! Way to go PQ526! I am so glad that the camera happen to be looking far enough to the right to clearly get the whole event captured and I am so happy you now got a plan in order of what to do. If that is where you always park your car, then if I were you, I would consider getting another camera to have better coverage of the area should it happen again or maybe just park more so within the center of the view of the camera. :grinning: This is a solid argument to always use the continuous recording feature for situations like this. With my luck the event would happen during the 5 minute event snooze period and/or just outside of the event detection zone.
As far as the driver is concerned, it is unlikely the person did not know about the collision. If the video also shows the person getting out of the truck to investigate then it would be nearly impossible to claim ignorance. Either way someone else is going to be liable for the cost of the repairs…not you. Let us know what the outcome is.

Handyman retrieved the memory card yesterday and installed our latest Wyze (this definitely would’ve caught the bugger)

4 Likes

Perfect line of sight now. :smiley:

Oh, goodness… So happy you were able to find the footage! Sorry that was such a pain in the butt and that it was needed in the first place. We hope your car gets fixed soon and that your surgery recovery goes as quickly and painlessly as possible. :slight_smile:

WyzeGwendolyn,
I am pretty sure that this has been mentioned elsewhere before but I just wanted to echo it again. For PQ526’s situation, being able to access the critical data from the SD card on the camera via a computer remotely would have really helped. Having to physically remove the SD card from the camera delayed the necessary access to be able to look through the video footage more easily via computer. If there is a need for immediate access to the SD card, can it be accessed without the Wyze app and without having to remove the card from the camera?

I have my cameras installed where I can reach them easily which is good and bad but a lot of people are not well over 6 feet tall with long arms like me.

2 Likes

“Is there something we could be doing differently to catch the culprit”

Buy a Doberman.
It matches the car.

2 Likes