Camera will not update

I have two Cam Pan v3 cameras that will not update to the latest firmware (4.50.2.3762 → 4.50.3.4240).

I’ve tried updating the firmware in the Wyze app in two ways:

• Home → Camera → Camera Settings → Device Info → Firmware Version → Update
  • Account → Firmware Update

Neither way works.

If done by the first method, nothing ever happens.
if done by the second method, after several minutes the screen will refresh and say update failed.

I’ve tried:

• Force-closing the Wyze app

• Logging out, clearing the cache, relogging in

• Restarting the cameras

• Power cycling the cameras

No joy either way.

Since these cameras are mounted in a way where they are difficult to get to, I will not be doing a manual firmware update via the micro SD card. Since it’s happening to both v3 Cam Pans, it’s not an individual camera issue. These updates should “just work”.

I suspect it is a problem with the firmware update, since it is happening with both cameras. Are there any current Wyze server issues? Any other thoughts?

Sometimes updates are staggered for delivery - in other words, not everyone gets the update at the same time - so maybe your cameras will get the update a little later. I have no idea if this is the case with this particular update.
However with that said, as a general rule, firmware updates are not critical. Just wait for the next one and see if that updates.
Lastly, make sure you have a good WiFi signal when trying the update.

Sometimes updates are staggered for delivery - in other words, not everyone gets the update at the same time - so maybe your cameras will get the update a little later.

I understand that. Normally if an update is being staggered, it will not be offered/announced in the app. In this case the prompt was presented to update.

Just wait for the next one and see if that updates.

Perhaps.

Lastly, make sure you have a good WiFi signal when trying the update.

Not an issue.

I did open a support ticket. I just got back a generic non-responsive script monkey response to do things I’ve already done and/or are not applicable.

Okay, this appears resolved. For no good reason.

After unsuccessfully trying to update these cameras (individually) all day, I selected the “bulk update” option under Account → Firmware update. I did this less than 5 minutes after the last individual update attempt that had failed. Both cameras quickly updated.

I normally avoid the “bulk update” option, in the remote case that a buggy firmware update would brick cameras, and all my cameras would get bricked. If an individual update is successful, then I’ll individually update the rest.

It makes no sense that bulk update would work here, but not updating cameras individually. Unless there was an issue with the server hosting the firmware that coincidentally cleared right before I hit the “bulk update” button.

Who the heck knows.

1 Like