Camera V3 update 4.36.319 crashes cameras (fatal flaw in design?)

Added another V3 to the paperweight stack. I wonder how tall i can stack these?

16 out of 16 of my V3ā€™s updated just fine to version 4.36.319

Was afraid to do them so only did one and it worked fine for weeks, then did the other 15 one at a time instead of bulk updating. A few of them needed rebooted between 4.36.318 to 319 but other than that they all are updated now and working just fine.

Me too. So what is your problem, @rwolder?

@johnsmith not sure. Ive spent hours with Wyze techs, tried ā€œflashingā€ the 4 cameras, solid red light, unresponsive reset button. Apparently Wyze is not disputing this as an ā€œissueā€ as they just replace the cams without question.

Iā€™m not sure if its affecting some units and not others. Alot of persons are experiencing and reporting this issue while some others are trivializing it because it didnā€™t happen to them. This is so sad and could be why it is not being given the attention that is required.
All my V3s were bricked by the previous 2 firmware releases, i got them replaced. The last firmware I tried it on one, that bricked as well and has been replaced by Wyze. If all yours updated perfectly then consider yourself Lucky and stop trivilizing the issue that others are having.

I worked for a computer hardware company. The goal of one of their biggest customers (Remember the cow boxes?) was 98% without failure.
So, unless you know the percentage of Wyze Cam v.3 that are ā€œfailingā€, you canā€™t make any conclusions.
Remember, people donā€™t come to the Forums and post, ā€œMy Wyze Cam v.3 has worked perfectly since I installed it.ā€
Remember too that you donā€™t know anything about the Arlo or any other $300 webcam. Have you visited their forums? Remember, magazine reviewers use the camera for at most a couple of days before the write their glowing review. Basically, you donā€™t know if that $300 camera is 10x better or even a little bit better.

Then you have the really weird issues. I have two Wyze Bulbs installed on my front porch. As far away from my WiFi as they can be. They are 3 feet apart. They both work in the NORTH socket but not in the SOUTH socket. BUT, sometimes they BOTH work. There is more wiring behind the NORTH socket, so Iā€™m guessing electrical interference isnā€™t the issue.
Iā€™m switching to a MESH WiFi this week so if that doesnā€™t solve the issue because there will be a node less than 10 feet from the bulbs, then Iā€™m not sure what to do next.

I havenā€™t set my Home Monitoring up because of that potential WiFi coverage issue. It didnā€™t make sense to me to go through all the trouble with setting things up if my WiFi coverage wasnā€™t adequate to keep a connection with all the sensors.

So, is that $300 camera better than the $30 one? Unless you can test them both side by side in 100 different situations for at least 100 days, then you really canā€™t say.

1 Like

Mine had trouble updating to .18, so I unplugged it and took it closer to my WiFi. It updated fine to .18 and then .19.

No problem. Just commenting.

And here is a novel concept -
Maybe they could reinitiate the capability to ā€œroll back firmwareā€.
here on the wishlist
It worked before.
The weak excuse of
ā€œHi, we did it because the new beta firmware canā€™t be downgraded to 4.9.4.37 or 4.10.3.60 firmware or lower. We are going to release a new beta firmware which overwrites a few files from the old f/w. It is a ā€˜breakingā€™ change which is not reversible. If you downgrade, your camera will be at flashing blue state forever.ā€
could be overcome by just setting limits how far one can roll back.

IF the cams were reliable for updating WITHOUT being concerned about F/W rollbacks I could deploy more in hard to access places.
But as it is now I canā€™t trust them.