Camera light discrimination issue

I use a pan cam to monitor my 3D printer when I am not home. If a print fails for some reason, I can remotely (using a different app) power-off the outlet the printer is plugged into to keep from wasting filament. This works well except that the LCD screen of the printer is “washed out” and cannot be read. I don’t know if this is a contrast or brightness or video AGC problem, but I can discover no way to make the screen legible. I have night vision (and the IR illumination) turned off. The LCD screen has a blue background with white lettering. Is there a setting I am missing that will correct this? Would a gel filter placed in front of the lens help? If so, what color? Being able to read the screen outweighs any false colors such a filter might introduce over the rest of the scene.

I’ll let any camera lens experts in the community provide input on your questions about filters. I thought you might also be interested in the following Wishlist topic.

Is the LCD screen not backlit? If so, that’s a simple issue of glare. It’s similar to when looking at a glass window during the day; you can’t see inside. I’ll try playing with the camera angles (if you can) to reduce the glare.

Reminds me of my built-in car GPS. The angle is such that I can’t see what it displays during the day. I have to get a portable model that I mounted directly in front of me.

Can you post a picture of what your seeing? Thx!

1 Like

It is a backlit screen. I have sprayed the top surface with w indow “frosting” aerosol which helps a little, but even when no glare “flares” are visible, the screen is still illegible. But I can’t find a way to drag or specify/attach imagrs in my album into a forum window
Should be simple, but I’not seeing it.

When replying, look for this icon to upload an image …
2019-09-27_182434

I believe a MOD might have to up your forum status so that you can post images. Any mods able to assist? Stay tuned @reddawg, the collective here will try to help ya out!

@Loki

1 Like

@reddawg is at the proper level now.

2 Likes

If you can reduce the backlight, this should help somewhat. If you can’t, maybe you can tape some kind of dark clear plastic film over it? I don’t think the levels are adjustable in the camera, but even if you COULD adjust the exposure enough to see the backlit display, there’s a decent chance it might make the 3D printer too dark to see.

EDIT: To be clear, dark clear plastic film over the backlit display – not the Wyze cam.

1 Like