Cam Plus video recording time

I thought when you paid for the Cam Plus subscription you got more than 20 second video recording? I am getting 20-30 second recordings and then it stops when activity is still happening. Can anyone verify that you get longer record time?
Thanks!

1 Like

Welcome to the User Community Forum @bargainhunter61241!

Generally, the videos are full length up to 5 minutes with no cooldown on CamPlus. However there are some instances with specific cams that do currently have an affect on that video length depending on some of your user settings and the version of the firmware installed.

Please post the model of the cam and the firmware version for the cam exhibiting this behavior.

3 Likes

And in addition to @SlabSlayer s questions, what are your sensitivity settings for the camera? If your sensitivity settings are low, there may still be motion in frame just not enough to break the threshold of your sensitivity settings. After you tell us what your sensitivity settings are, for troubleshooting I would max them out at 100 to see all that the camera can record with cam plus. Once you get a good baseline of what the 100 sensitivity setting gets you I would back off from there to find a sweet spot of your liking.

2 Likes

Did we ever get a response on this? I am having the same issue where some videos are being recorded at 10 to 20 seconds. I know for sure that I have videos’ that should be longer than this; is it dependent on whether the person is moving or speaking for the video to stay recording longer than 14 to 20 seconds?

1 Like

The object that is being detected as motion needs to remain moving for the recording the continue. The cam plus trigger is motion, not sound. There is a seperate “detects sound” for some cameras, but that is still a 12 sec clip.

If you think your videos are cutting off motion, up your motion sensitivity and expand your detection zone to increase video length.

3 Likes

I have seen nothing official that would confirm that the firmware in any of the cams has been changed to reduce the length of video uploads.

As @Omgitstony has indicated, once the cam triggers a Motion Event upload, the cam should theoretically continue to record and upload that motion event until all motion within the Included DZ or frame drops below a specific motion threshold for a specific time. The wildcards here are the “specific threshold” and “specific time”.

Since the user has no settings to determine how long the specific time period is for the cam to wait to see if the motion will continue, Wyze could theoretically set this value to 0ms which would cut off the Event upload at the very slightest millisecond pause in motion which would create many back to back short videos. I have never seen what this firmware set time is.

Since the cams record in daylight at 20fps and at night at 15fps, I would assume that there is a sperate time set for each and checked for pixelation changes between frames. If this is the case, the minimum frame by frame time would be 50ms and 66.6ms. If Wyze is setting the cutoff by a lack of motion from one frame to the next, again, lots of short videos for momentary pauses in motion.

The second variable is the “motion threshold” for terminating a Motion Event Upload Video. While the user does have a 100 point sensitivity setting to set for initiation of the Motion Event Upload, I have never seen official confirmation that the user set sensitivity threshold is also used for the termination of Motion Event Uploads. It is entirely possible that this may also be a firmware logic setpoint for which the user has no control. And again, if this is the cased and it is set too low in the firmware, it will significantly reduce the length of videos and cause a significantly higher number of uploads if the Motion Event Sensitivity setting is set high by the user.

The discussion of shorter length Event upload videos on Wyze cams has been going on for some time. I have had lengthy discussions with others who have also noticed a drastic drop in video length following firmware updates over the last year or so. But, the cause remains speculation unless someone from Wyze can confirm the specific logic being used to determine when a Cam stops recording.

I have my Events list filtered to only show me the Smart Detection AI Events. Currently, those Event lengths are accurately capturing the start to end of AI tagged events. But, this has not always been the case which prompted the discussion some time back.

1 Like

I have smart detection also, Person, Vehicle, Package. The events were recorded correctly. The 1 min 36 second video was the Green Garbage truck picking up green waste, tree branches/grass/ wood.

3 Likes

I have 3 CAM V3’s and a Older CAM V1. I never get a recording of events longer then 20 seconds. I see someone walking up my driveway and before they get to the house the recording stops as if they had just disappeared. This has happened many times over the last several years.

2 Likes

I have this exact problem. I purchased cam plus and I still do not get recordings of continuous motion. For example, every night we have deer in our front yard and they are as a group moving, eating, etc. the recording stops before they have left the yard and usually it seems like it’s about 20 seconds. I never get long recordings over 30 seconds. And we definitely have more than 30 seconds of activity with the eight cameras I have. I have them set to record All smart events with people, animals and cars. I have SD cards in all of them. I have updated all of the software. I do not have such small detection zones that that is the issue. Wyze support is pretty much nonexistent from what I have been able to determine. I hope someone here can tell me what’s going on. I did read where someone said that it can be said to stop recording if there is basically a millisecond of no motion. That of course would be crazy But nothing would surprise me. It is not working as advertised basically And I thought, upgrading to plus would be the answer, but it has been a disappointment.

2 Likes

What camera is this happening on? What are your detection settings set to?

SD card and cloud recording are two separate things, and knowing what camera you are working with will help determine what their abilities are, and where to go to view your sd card footage.

Wyze 3 with Cam Plus for almost 3 years. I even raised the detection to 100 percent, and it still records for only 20 to 30 seconds.

I just looked at the last week and I do have one recording that is one minute. But the majority are less than half a minute of the same activity. I have the detection set to 50% motion sensitivity and I have a detection zone where there would be a person, pet or whatever (not sky). I guess I am sometimes getting longer recording but most are under 30 seconds and the person or animal has not left the same spot. They may not move for a millisecond but they are still there and it cuts off and starts another recording.

OK, it get it on the cloud and SD card.