Bring back the ability to toggle appropriate Wyze Devices with a Wyze Switch single-press action

The mention of Cam Floodlights (which I don’t have) and Switch Automations makes me think of Bulb Cam and Accessory Bulb (which I do have), and I think I’d want the option to control the lighting for those with Switch (if I had that), so there’s another use case. Bulb Cam’s lights actually can be turned on and off with regular Automations, but if I understand you correctly Switch doesn’t trigger those, so…. :squinting_face_with_tongue:

I have a Bulb Cam with Two Accessory Bulbs and a Wyze switch. I want to be able to turn the lights on and off with the Wyze Switch. But the bulb cams and accessory lights don’t show up as options in the smart control section of the switch. I can set it to turn the lights on by double pressing the switch and triple pressing to turn off. But that really doesn’t make sense. I’ve also tried making an automation that when the Wyze switch turns on, turn on the lights. but that doesn’t work at all. I ran into a similar problem with the floodlight cam where I wanted to manually turn on the light with a switch until turned off, but the same problem.

I think I am hearing right what you are currently doing. The Wyze switch is not going to separate camera from light. When you remove power going to the light, you are also turning off the camera -taking it offline.

Not quite, I’m using the Wyze switch in smart mode, so the circuit is always energized, But the switch can be set to turn on and off wyze smart lighting without deenergizing them. So my other wyze bulbs show up in the options as being able to be controlled by the switch, but not the light on my bulb cam or it’s associated accessory bulbs. So really, I’m asking for that option to be added to the Wyze Switch (along with the Wyze floodlight)

Welcome to the Forum, @eliasbrewer! :wave:

I don’t have Wyze Switch, but based on my understanding of that product, I think what you’re doing with it currently in conjunction with Bulb Cam and Accessory Bulbs is the way Wyze intends for it to work. Reading through your posts reminds me of another recent request that includes images for Single Press options for Wyze Switch in Smart Control mode. Notably absent from that are Wyze Plugs, which that user wants to be able to toggle on or off with Wyze Switch (which seems reasonable to me). I think this is a big part of the problem:

  1. Wyze sees Bulb Cam (and, by extension, Accessory Bulb) as primarily “camera” products and not “lighting” products, so they haven’t given it the same features (nor the app access to features) as their regular lighting products (much like what they’ve apparently done with Wyze Plug, which could be used to control a lamp, for instance).
  2. Accessory Bulb is just dumb. By that I mean that it acts like a regular “dumb” LED bulb and not a “smart” connected bulb when it’s installed in a socket but not bound to a Bulb Cam. (I actually like the Accessory Bulbs I use with Bulb Cam when they function as expected.) It’s not something that can be used as a smart light by itself, so it doesn’t act like (nor offer the features of) something like Wyze Bulb Color.

I actually mentioned that in the topic I linked above and think it’s something they should do, even though I don’t currently use Wyze Switches.

If you really want this to be a request to Wyze, then I’d suggest a few things:

  1. You could take a look at Add More Actions for Wyze Automations (Rules) and consider voting and adding your request to that, though there are a lot of varied requests in there already, and I don’t think additional Automations Actions are your real goal here.
  2. You could read How to Use the Wishlist and then write and submit your idea as a new Wishlist request. That probably makes more sense, as I don’t think what you’re requesting here is currently covered by an existing Wishlist request for Bulb Cam and Accessory Bulb.
  3. Visit Bring back the ability to toggle appropriate Wyze Devices with a Wyze Switch single-press action to vote for (hit the Vote button above the initial post) and comment in that topic to show your support for the existing request for Cam Floodlight that describes at least past of what you want to see.

As annoying as your current operation is (with double and triple presses), I think you’re doing the right thing and using the products as they’re currently designed, but I absolutely agree that Wyze could improve this feature (and do the same for Cam Floodlights and Plugs) if they choose to, so hopefully you’ll add your voice/vote/comments to those requests.

Unable to control Outdoor Plug with Smart Switch

I had previously set up a Wyze Switch in “Smart Control” mode to control a Wyze outdoor plug, and it’s worked fine. Today, I tried to explore what else I can use the switch for, and when I press “Add Smart Devices,” nothing shows up.

I reset both the switch and the plug, and even deleted the devices from my account and re-added them with no change. I can control the switch and plug from the app with no issues. I can also change the switch to “Classic Control” and turn the connected device on and off (which happens to be a floodlight cam).

I noticed that under “smart control” it says “To control fixtures with Wyze bulbs only.” Was the ability to control the outdoor plug removed? I’m sure it was there before, as I’ve had it setup this way for a long time.

Alternately, I thought to use automations. However, it seems like the switch will trigger the automation only when it’s set to “Classic Control” mode.

[Mod Note]: Your topic was merged to this Wishlist request for better visibility and consistency in grouping similar requests. Please remember to scroll up to the top and click the VOTE button to show your support.

1 Like

I believe that’s the case, and you can see Wyze Switch suddenly stopped controlling Wyze Plug for more discussion/context.

1 Like

Thanks, @Crease.

Wyze devs: this is incredibly frustrating, since the devices were still functioning until I changed some settings to try something out. I purchased the switches and outdoor plugs specifically for this functionality, and now you have disabled. Why?

This is the nail in the coffin for me. I’ll be working toward replacing each of my Wyze devices, and I’ll be rid of the whole stinking ecosystem once and for all. You are just dead set on losing your loyal, paying customers, so I suppose I’ll jump ship and give you what you want.

Edit to add: the only reason I’m still fighting with this hardware (and you see me pop in here to ask incredulously why nothing ever seems to work) is because I’ve already invested in the hardware. Several cams, floodlights, the hub and several home monitoring devices, as well as switches, plugs, and bulbs. The hardware is great. The software has sucked from the beginning, and I can’t believe you’ve managed to figure out how, but you have consistently made the software progressively worse over the last two years. Leaving the devices as they were when I first purchased them would have been an improvement.

Not only have I given up on Wyze, but I was once a huge Wyze supporter and recommended the brand to anyone that would listen. I long ago changed my tune on that, but at least I’ve stuck around, paying the monthly fee for the convenience of not having to start over. That’ll be coming to an end here very soon, and at this point, I don’t care if the hardware ends up in the trash heap. Maybe someone will want the $500 worth of equipment for $50, since that’s about what it’s worth.

Consider me pissed off.

For anyone reading along, I just bought some TP-Link Tapo cams for my parents. They love them. No monthly fee, on-device AI detection. The device cost was no more than Wyze devices.

1 Like

Missing feature from Wyze switch

I am no longer able to control a wyze plug from a wyze switch. It is no longer to add a wyze plug in the wyze switch settings. Apparently, Wyze recently removed this feature and I would like to see it brought back.

For some reason, you can add a wyze plug for double-press, etc., but not for a single press.

1 Like

Just another person adding the same complaint that others have listed here. Purchased the switch with the sole purpose of turning my cam bulb light on and off. Didn’t even think to check if it supported this since the usecase is so obvious. I guess I’ll make do with the multipress workaround for now but why it would handle automations differently between single press and multipress is baffling. I’d say maybe more comments would bring attention and maybe fix this but this has been open since 2022 so I’m not holding my breath.

+1. Please fix, pretty pleaseeee.