Bright news with Wyze Cam v3 Spotlight Kit now available - 1/28/21

My opinion, the advantage is, you would then have an in line waterproof power supply, instead of a non waterproof bulky wall wart

1 Like

I’m guessing the longer cord and the fact that it doesn’t use a power brick. That might make it attractive for folks like me that have outdoor electrical outlets, with hinged plastic covers, that sort of restrict the size of the male plug. Just a guess, though:)

2 Likes

Yeah, that 110 regular plug would fit in your box a lot better then a bulky wall wart

exacly my setup. Need the slim regular plug to fit inside the hinges plastic setup.

So, how is it controlled? Does it have it’s own WiFi connection and set up then? Or is the camera actually turning the power on and off?

The above quotes appear to be slightly incompatible. The first one indicates there are only 2 options, always on, or have the V3 turn it on with motion, such as a switch in the V3 settings.
While the product description indicates that there is a rule, so we can have anything turn it on and off, such as a contact sensor.

I already bought regardless, but I would still like to know:

• Can we tell it to only turn on when it senses a person? (ie: set a RULE with a trigger of “person detection” and then the even is that it turns on the spotlight)
  • Can we set up a rule so that any time my backdoor contact sensor is open, the spotlight turns on?
  • Can we tell it to turn on for a set length of time (ie: 30 seconds/1 minutes) when a contact sensor opens?
  • Does it have similar rule options as a Wyze Bulb? Maybe I need to place a motion sensor at my back door instead of a contact sensor so I can tell it to turn off after [X amount of time] passes without motion like I do for my pantry and pantry light (turns on with motion, turns after 30 seconds of no motion).

@HDRock THANK YOU for posting the full picture. I wanted to see how the cord connected, and Wyze didn’t show us in any included pictures.

1 Like

Let me see if I can help with some of your questions. Like HD, I was a tester of the V3 and the spotlight.

I know I have been seeing statements that say you can use rules and schedules. But to be completely honest, that was not something we were tasked with testing for the spotlight. And I just tried setting up some rules and could not find an option to control the spotlight. I may be missing something and @HDRock has more knowledge.

The spotlight does not have its own wifi connection. All commands and controls are through the app or triggered by the camera (motion detection). I do not see any rules that offer a way to control the spotlight. The spotlight is not a named standalone device,

It will stay on as long as motion is detected by the camera. But it will turn off after about 10 seconds once the motion has cleared. (That’s just an observation, not a stated spec.)

Maybe once they add the new zone setting features to the V3, it will be better. But for now, it is just an accessory for the V3 camera. Hopefully they will add the ability to control the spotlight with other devices and rules.

Again, this is just what I have found through my testing. It is quite possible someone else has more detailed information. And I am always open to new info.

1 Like

That makes a lot of sense, thank you for sharing your experience. It answered my questions for now.

Since the product specs say that it will automate with rules I’m assuming this is something they intend to add eventually, but isn’t available quite yet. Who knows, maybe they’ll have it ready by the time it ships, or maybe months from now. Even using it by the V3 motion only, it’s still worth $15 to me. It will just be way cooler if and when they add the other rules. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What’s the lag time between motion and turning on the spot? Dumb motion sensing floodlights take maybe half a second (if that) but pixel detection seems to take much longer (10-12 seconds or more for some Wyze situations).

Could you comment on the perceived brightness? 40 Watt incandescents run 400 lumens and floodlights start at 700 (at least according to Home Depot) so 70 sounds really dim. Does it fill a small yard and get attention?

Below is a list of recommended LED lumens for specific outdoor lighting:

Step lights: 12-100 lumens
Hardscape lights (on walls): 50-185 lumens
Landscape lights: 50-300 lumens 
Path lights: 100-200 lumens
Landscape spotlights: 120 lumens
Lamp posts: 120-180 lumens
Pond/pool lights: 200-400 lumens
Motion sensor lights: 300-700 lumens
Flood lights: 700-1300 lumens
1 Like

The lag time is pretty good. I would say less than a second. I have a good clip as an example.

As for brightness, you be the judge.

3 Likes

Thanks, not terrible, but not all that good. He or she had to be in frame for a second or so before the clip too, so total time probably closer to 2 seconds before the light came on. For the brightness it’s really hard to tell because that starlight sensor is so good, it makes a candle look like a flood, at least in the samples people have shared. (So it’s hard to tell what effect it would have with an intruder.) For the camera it sure lit up a nice big area.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Thanks for your description. Something doesn’t make sense though. I ordered a couple spotlights and the product page says it can be controlled by 3rd party Integrations such as IFTTT, so there has to be a way to trigger it other than just the camera motion or always on.

I was hoping for either triggered by person only or maybe even a Wyze motion sensor because I get way too many false motion triggers with the camera already. Every time a car goes up our street for example that can’t be zoned out with the current V3 detection zone adjustment.

1 Like

You raise a good point. @UserCustomerGwen could you tap Chao to help us here?

My WAG is that the camera can be controlled by rules and the camera controls the spotlight, it is indirectly controlled by rules too.

1 Like

My guess is (and I’ve not used one yet), is that’s pretty much it’s intent. Visually, it’s probably not all that bright. I’d say it’s designed to add just enough light for the starlight sensor to function well.

2 Likes

I would like to see an infrared or near infrared light for the camera. Something that wouldn’t alert someone they were caught on camera, or simply not to bother the neighbors with a light coming on every time some animal came into the yard.
I’m already using a near IR light on a Wyze V2 in my back yard. It works well, but not nearly as elegantly as something like this would work. I’ve got an order in for a V3 to use with the near IR light to see how well it works.

Maybe a stupid question … but is the spotlight kit still effective if you have the camera mounted upside down and the image rotated 180 degrees (e.g. so the spotlight is on the bottom of the camera vs. the top) ?

Spotlight gadgets are not a priority for most of us, and neither is partnering for a dumb vacuum with a dumber yet 4 bowling ball gimmick ad.

WYZE Labs needs to FERVENTLY address the tens of millions of iOS device owners that are rapidly being offered HomeKit integration with competitively priced options like Anker/Eufy, Meross and others.

The latest generation of cameras and any newly releasing devices that do include HomeKit will not be purchased by Apple devotees any longer.

The early days of WYZE where we all were filled with so much excitement, hope, and readiness to purchase as we were ardently proselytizing of there away from the insanely overpriced Arlo and equivalent options are long past, and WYZE has not changed its weak position on developing cross platform integration.

1 Like

Says you. Here’s an idea…maybe lots of Apple owners could care less about HomeKit?

I hate Apple stuff but he’s right. A “devotee” by definition would want full integration with Apple’s home automation platform. How could you possibly dispute that?

1 Like

Any chance making one of these for the Outdoor Cam? Or would the power draw (even on motion-only) be too much for the tiny battery?

How many lumens does the V2 emit? I couldn’t find it in the specs.